Putting green warm up?

I just focus on speed (10-60 feet) and make sure I'm rolling it straight. I don't putt towards a hole inside the should-make-range of 8 feet or thereabouts.

I concentrate on speed.

Speed is everything in putting...you can get the line all day long but without the right speed you won't make anything...and even with the proper speed and a line that was just a little off, then you leave easy 2 putts.

I line up three balls about 4 feet and roll them...I am looking to gage the speed...I want the ball to get to the hole put not more than a foot past, if they go in great...but that's not important.....once I have that speed I move out to 10 feet and do the same thing...and then finally I will take the three balls and place them a various spots and hit 20-25 footers....with these, I putt them out, because the last thing I want to hear when I walk off the green is the ball going in the cup.

Listen to this man, he's pretty good with the flatstick.

3 or 4 balls, short 3 to 5 footers to groove it, then 15 to 20 feet up/down hill and back to a few more 3 to 5 footers.

I just focus on speed (10-60 feet) and make sure I'm rolling it straight. I don't putt towards a hole inside the should-make-range of 8 feet or thereabouts.

To clarify then... for putts inside of ten feet you putt towards a tee in the green? Or you avoid these putts entirely before a round, concentrating exclusively on longer lags?

To clarify then... for putts inside of ten feet you putt towards a tee in the green? Or you avoid these putts entirely before a round, concentrating exclusively on longer lags?

I putt towards nothing. I line up the ball and want to see it rolling straight (ie the line on the ball going end over end). That's the "rolling it straight"-part. If I do that I know I've got those 4-6-8 footers down...and if you find the pace at 10 feet you've got it at 4, 6 and 8 too.

I putt towards nothing. I line up the ball and want to see it rolling straight (ie the line on the ball going end over end). That's the "rolling it straight"-part. If I do that I know I've got those 4-6-8 footers down...and if you find the pace at 10 feet you've got it at 4, 6 and 8 too.

Very interesting. Thanks for the quick reply, I may have to give that a shot next time I'm on the practice green.

I start off with 3 footers, then slowly move back to about 30 ft. Then I lag a few from 40-50 ft and have to two putt on 5 balls in a row before I can move on. Then I go back to 3 feet and make 10 in a row. This is my new routine and usually takes about 20 mins. So far it has really helped me get a good idea of the green speed before my round.

Listen to this man, he's pretty good with the flatstick.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Ary...but everybody has a good day now and then.

Very interesting. Thanks for the quick reply, I may have to give that a shot next time I'm on the practice green.

No problem. I found that I didn't do myself any favours subjecting myself to the must-make-putts just prior to a round. It was just added pressure and put doubt in my mind if I missed one or two. Now I don't worry about them because I make them on the course and in tournaments.

No problem. I found that I didn't do myself any favours subjecting myself to the must-make-putts just prior to a round. It was just added pressure and put doubt in my mind if I missed one or two. Now I don't worry about them because I make them on the course and in tournaments.

exactly my thoughts....before the round I am just looking for a good roll and to gauge the speed of the greens

I start by putting 50 footers at nothing trying to just gauge speed, then work on alignment and feel my stroke out. After that I warm-up on the range then come back and force myself to drain 4 footers (about 10 in a row) then make sure I leave on like a 10-15 footer that I made.

Wow, I'm a slacker. ;)

If I even putt before the round, I'll just putt one or two from about 5-15-25 feet intervals.

The one thing I will do us putt a few short ones before I go off. Positive connection with the ball dropping, and all...

Wow, I'm a slacker. ;)

If I even putt before the round, I'll just putt one or two from about 5-15-25 feet intervals.

The one thing I will do us putt a few short ones before I go off. Positive connection with the ball dropping, and all...

I don't spend alot of time....it takes maybe 10 minutes...and there are alot of days that I dont do it at all....I will just hit an extra putt or 2 on the first green after I hole out.

Anyone ever tried sticking a tee in the ground and putting at it??? It focuses your eyes on a single point.

I've tried it and found it to be really helpful

Anyone ever tried sticking a tee in the ground and putting at it??? It focuses your eyes on a single point.

I've tried it and found it to be really helpful

One of the drills I use during practice it 2 pieces of an alignment rod about 18" tall with 10 feet of heavy colored twine tied between them....I find a level spot and stick them in the green and then line up the alignement line on my ball with the string....practice putting at the stake on the other side and try to keep the line rolling straight end over end under the string....I try to just barely hit the post on the other end.

Works on focus point, on a good release and proper roll and speed.

I don't do a lot of putting before my round. The practice greens are always so much different than the actual greens, so I don't want to get that feel and speed in my mind before the round. I will hit 5 or 10 putts just to feel the stroke more than the speed of the green. Most of the time, I'm not even putting to a hole.

I just try to hole putts from a range of 3 ft 8 ft and 15 ft and put a tee at each distance and keep putting until I hole them and get a good feel for the greens.

walk to the center of the putting green putt to the fringe to get a feel for the speed. once i feel like i have a good feel i putt 5 balls from 3-4 feet and once i drain 5 in a row i'm done.

Putting drills before a round

Putting drills before a round

I was just wondering what is an effective putting drill on the practice green before a round. I played 18 holes yesterday and had a terrible round. I was hitting the ball well, had more GIRs than I usually have but my putting let me down. Birdie or par opportunities turned into bogeys, double bogeys, and some for triples. For the last several rounds I've played, my putting has been terrible and the 3 and 4 putts have been creeping in to my game.

My usual putting drill before a round usually consist of picking a hole, putt from about 10-15 feet (my average distance from the hole whenever I do get it on the green) and try to get the ball as close to the hole as possible and then try to hole them out if they didn't make it to the hole.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks for moving my post. Didn't find this when I did my search.

6' footers. Gate drill. Just put tees on the outside of the toe and heel. Just groove 6 footers.

Two or three lag pots to get the speed, then a few really short pots to hear the sound of the ball dropping in the hole.

If you start doing sex butters and more, and start missing, your confidence is shot.

Putts. Six footers. Thanks Siri.

Oh and by the way, Bridgestone Golf rules!

Two or three lag pots to get the speed, then a few really short pots to hear the sound of the ball dropping in the hole.

If you start doing sex butters and more, and start missing, your confidence is shot.

I would rather do sex butters. I don't know what those are. But I'm will to learn.

Let's keep it family-friendly, Thainer, hehehe.

That's a hilarious speech-to-text flub!

I test the speed of the greens, then my stroke with short, medium and long putts.

Back