AK jr.

d2 college player
Reaction score
Handicap
has anybody had any experience with the grafalloy prototype compnt and/or the grafalloy blue shafts? i played a blue for a while in an old callaway driver and remember liking it but i need a refresher. any help with the prototype would be awesome just cuz i havent ever hit a club with it, but it has similar characteristics to the blue

I'm looking hard at a Graffaloy Blue to stick in my G10, it's a super low torque shaft, which I dig. The price is less than ½ of the Graphite Designs YSQ that I was looking at, and with lower torque numbers.

ya i have the ysQ right now. i love the feel but i cant really get after it without the tip going crazy and drastically increasing launch height. i really want a ysQst but i cant find one as cheap as some of the other, similar offerings

I use both an Axis and an Epic right now. The Epic feels very stable, I feel like I can load it and go after the ball without the fear of spraying it.

The grafalloy blue is insanely boardy feeling. Fans of the VS Proto and UST axiv core will not care for it feel wise. Performance wise may be another story. I have a buddy that hits the ball insanely high, he tried a blue and hates the way it feels but loves the results he gets from it.

In short it is in his bag, but not for everyone.

Chris - what do you mean by 'boardy' feeling? Just kind of dead? Too stiff? Too little/much torque?

Chris - what do you mean by 'boardy' feeling? Just kind of dead? Too stiff? Too little/much torque?

probably just very stiff, with little flex in it

The grafalloy blue is insanely boardy feeling. Fans of the VS Proto and UST axiv core will not care for it feel wise. Performance wise may be another story. I have a buddy that hits the ball insanely high, he tried a blue and hates the way it feels but loves the results he gets from it.

In short it is in his bag, but not for everyone.

do you know a shaft that feels less boardy but still keeps the ball down?

Unfortunately I do not. I am not in big need of a shaft that keeps the ball down.

AK, I know the ProLaunch Red is a shaft designed to keep ballflight down, and I believe JB (IIRC) swears by the GD Aura Red, which is also designed to keep the ball down.

As for "boardy", I haven't hit the Aura. It was a million years ago that I hit the ProLauch Red, but I don't remember it feeling boardy.

i know the red doesnt feel boardy, i might try to pick one up for the 907d2. i am trying to get an r9 tp with either a fubuki, motore f1, or aldila voodoo nvs6. all of which are low-mid flight shafts. possibly in 8.5 degrees if i get the fubuki cuz its more mid launch

Loved the Fubuki. Only hit it in the FT-iq, but it was buttery smooth.

I found the Red and the Blue to feel "Boardy", but then I'm a VS Proto fan.

the blue is boardy. i played it in an old driver. the red isnt very boardy at all as far as i remember

I use both an Axis and an Epic right now. The Epic feels very stable, I feel like I can load it and go after the ball without the fear of spraying it.

with the epic, what kind of ball filight do u get? cuz im seeing that its high launch and i need low

AK,
I had the same results as you. It was very high for my liking.

ok the epic is out then haha. cuz i need either an 8.5 with a mid shaft or a 9.5 with a low-mid shaft.

Yeah I have the BLUE in my driver and am not liking it. I wanted low torque, but as some have said, this shaft has no feel. It also plays at least one flex stiffer. I have the R flex and it is a bear for me and I can easily handle standard stiff shafts. Plus if you put it in a bore thru it would be even more ridiculous. If you have a really flat swingplane and high SS, it may be worth a shot, but there are probably better options.

I just pulled out Grafalloy prolauncher blue S65 from my old Nike 400cc driver.

In short, not only I am keeping the shaft, I am getting another shaft sleeve for my TM Super Tri to I get use it

I had a G10 with an Epic and found the flight quite high. I also have a comp nt in a sonartec 3w and it's a great shaft. Not sure how they would compare to the Oban you have. I had the Blue in Mizuno driver a few years ago and loved it but like a fool I sold it to a member in our club.
I would love to know how you find the Oban as wwe dont really have access to them over here. I caddy occasionaly for a pro and he has the Revenge in an FT5 and likes it.

Wow,the Grafalloy blue and comp nt haven`t been made for a few years now but I`ve used them both.You need some clubhead speed for the blue,but that shaft gave a penetrating flight and tight dispersion,just a solid shaft and still used on tour by Alvaro Quiros,Henrik Stenson and Robert Karlsson.Note all big hitters.The Comp nt is a smoother animal with a mid launch and good dispersion.I found the 65 X to be particularly good.I found it puzzling that Grafalloy/True Temper discontinued this shaft and dumped it in favour of the Epic as it was a great shaft.I felt the Epic was underwheming,didn`t feel too good to me.

I had a G10 with an Epic and found the flight quite high. I also have a comp nt in a sonartec 3w and it's a great shaft. Not sure how they would compare to the Oban you have. I had the Blue in Mizuno driver a few years ago and loved it but like a fool I sold it to a member in our club.
I would love to know how you find the Oban as wwe dont really have access to them over here. I caddy occasionaly for a pro and he has the Revenge in an FT5 and likes it.

With bata mor here. If you like the Oban in your 3w why not put a Devotion 7 in the driver.Obviously miss read your post. Is the Oban 7 high launch for you? I love my Devotion 6 and now have a Devotion 7 in my SuperTri to keep the LA/spin down. Just wait for the Aldila RIP. That will make you hit ropes!!

Last edited:
Back