The Grammar & Usage Thread

Ya ya that was my fault. I wanted it to be just that sentence, but then I noticed I didn't really put any mistakes in there, so I kept adding and adding on to make it longer and then didn't change the word.

Jeez guys..

Ya ya that was my fault. I wanted it to be just that sentence, but then I noticed I didn't really put any mistakes in there, so I kept adding and adding on to make it longer and then didn't change the word.

Jeez guys..

Aw, it's fun beating up on the children. :eyepoke:

I love her more every time I hear about her!

QUICK 18 WITH JEEHAE LEE

1. Are you a neat freak or do you prefer the messier side of life?
I'm on the messier side.

2. If calories and fat grams didn't exist or matter, what dessert would you eat every day?
Tres leches at Roomba (a restaurant that used to be in New Haven... sadly, it has closed) Dulce de leche ice cream from Haagen Dazs is a close second.

3.What is the one thing you absolutely must do in order to get your day started right?
Brush my teeth?? I don't have any quirky morning rituals.

4. What is your favorite store to shop in?
I love small boutiques on random street corners. Some of my favorite places are Greenwich, CT, NY Soho, Seoul, and Hong Kong.

5. What is one of the best presents you have ever given or received?
I've given $150 worth of beef (filet mignon, bone-in ribeye, porterhouse...) from a famous butcher shop in NYC to a male friend. He loved it.

6. What is your biggest pet peeve?
Incorrect use of "...and I"! AHHH! It drives me nuts when people say things like "...between you and I"!!!

7. Are you a morning person or a night owl?
Morning person

8. Is there anything you won't eat?
Celery and cucumber... ech!

9. What is the craziest thing a fan has requested of you?
"Are you Michelle? Can I take a picture with you?" I have fans... they just don't know they're my fans.

10. Who is the most frequently dialed person in your cell phone call log?
Idphonecard (phone card I use most to make international calls)

11. What was your first job?
An analyst at Macquarie Bank in Hong Kong... almost. I signed to work there after graduation, but never quite got there.

12. If you could be on a reality TV show, which one would you choose?
So You Think You Can Dance. I would never make it through the preliminary round, but it'd be awesome to watch all those talented dancers perform.

13. If you get lost while driving, do you stop for directions, make a phone call, or just try and figure it out?
I have a pretty reliable sense of direction, but if I'm really lost, I'd stop for directions.

14. What do you usually eat for breakfast before your round?
Cereal and some kind of eggs.

15. If you could do another job for a day, what would you do?
I secretly want to be a pop star. If not a pop star myself, being one of Justin Timberlake's backup dancers would be sweet as well.

16. What song would you sing if you had to sing Karaoke?
Carrie Underwood's "Before He Cheats". It's a fun song to sing. I don't relate to the crazy ex-girlfriend out for vengeance thing at all though...

17. Name one thing you always keep stocked in your refrigerator?
Green tea and lemonade

18. Tell me something most people don't know about you?
I have perfect pitch... meaning I can identify notes an instrument plays just by ear. I can learn relatively simple songs by ear and play them on the piano or flute.

Good for her! And it goes with the incorrect use of me. As in, "he's as bad as me." Add the correct form of "to be" at the end of the sentence, and you'll know you should say, "he's as bad as I am."

I told you Jeehea is awesome. Now we know she has a great sense of humor as well:

9. What is the craziest thing a fan has requested of you?
"Are you Michelle? Can I take a picture with you?" I have fans... they just don't know they're my fans.

All that is left is for her to log on and leave a nice note about how much she appreciates the good public relations effort undertaken by WSE on her behalf. A signed photograph and an invitation to her next tournament on the East Coast would not be outside the bounds of propriety either. Just a thought. :call-me:

I told you Jeehea is awesome. ... All that is left is for her to log on and leave a nice note about how much she appreciates the good public relations effort undertaken by WSE on her behalf. A signed photograph and an invitation to her next tournament on the East Coast would not be outside the bounds of propriety either. Just a thought. :call-me:

Sybase Classic, in May. Looks like I'll be a walking scorer this year--woo hoo!

Oh yeah, Williamsburg is the week before, and that's closer for you.

I had another name in mind Julie. hehe

Who the fark is GC hiring to write its online articles?!?!?

“I putted well today and drove the ball well,” Wie said. “If I could have hit a couple of irons better than it would have been a different story.”
"THEN"!! The word is "THEN"!!!

"THAN" is a comparative conjunction: I am a better writer THAN the people who write for golfchannel.com.

"THEN" is an adverb that demonstrates a time relationship or, in this case, a consequence (cause/effect relationship): If I'm hired to write and I don't know the difference between similar looking or sounding words that have different meanings THEN I should be fired!

Spoiler
And for the Wie haters who will say that it is a direct quote . . .

(a) I can almost guarantee that she didn't say "than."

(b) Even if she did, the writer should have used "[then]" or "than [sic]".

"THAN" is a comparative conjunction: I am a better writer THAN the people who write for golfchannel.com.

"THEN" is an adverb that demonstrates a time relationship or, in this case, a consequence (cause/effect relationship): If I'm hired to write and I don't know the difference between similar looking or sounding words that have different meanings THEN I should be fired!

Spoiler

...also missing the comma. Good catch...two pet peeves for the price of none!

My alumni magazine is free, but the college still tries to get people to pay for it. Here's how the latest pitch begins; I'm tempted to send a check:

Support the serial comma.*
Underwrite the italic font,
maintain the em-dash--
and subsidize a class note.

*The serial comma, a.k.a. the series or Oxford comma, is placed before the conjunction that joins the final two elements in a series.

You're a serial comma fan?

I already love my commas too much, I have to cut myself off at some point. :bad:

I'm a big fan, myself. There's always the possibility of confusion when you have a list with compound elements. And the only reason I've heard supporting its banishment no longer applies: to save newspaper personnel the trouble of setting another piece of type in the old manual presses.

I'm a big fan, myself. There's always the possibility of confusion when you have a list with compound elements. And the only reason I've heard supporting its banishment no longer applies: to save newspaper personnel the trouble of setting another piece of type in the old manual presses.

WSE, I almost opened that post by saying it was for you. I'm confident you recognize the underlying style manual.

Yes, I have Strunk and White nearly memorized. Make every word tell! I agree with them not on everything, but on most. I also love how they deal with the word "inflammable" in their awesomely elitist way. I can't give you a direct quote, but if I recall correctly it went something like: Use inflammable, and leave flammable to truck drivers and the illiterate.

Spoiler

I have never truly understood the difference until, seriously. Never bothered to look it up, just always used THEN and asumed that was right......

How about the use of extra periods........

OK, seriously thought, now explain effect and affect, please teacher :comp:

Yes, I have Strunk and White nearly memorized. Make every word tell! I agree with them not on everything, but on most. I also love how they deal with the word "inflammable" in their awesomely elitist way. I can't give you a direct quote, but if I recall correctly it went something like: Use inflammable, and leave flammable to truck drivers and the illiterate.

Actually, it was Pocket Protector U.'s own style guide.

How about the use of extra periods........

You are referring to the elipsis. Three periods, to be precise. Denotes deleted words. If you are deleting all the way to the end of a sentence, it's three periods, followed by a space, followed by the period at the end of the sentence.

Personally, I love the [sic]. Incredible snarkiness potential.

OK, seriously thought, now explain effect and affect, please teacher :comp:

Generally*...

Effect - noun
Affect - verb

I had an effect on you.
I affected you.

Spoiler
*Smarty pantses will know there are exceptions - affect can be a mental thing
(Blanche in "Streetcar" had an affect, that is, a mental malady)
and effect can mean to start something
(the President effected his newest policies).
But I wouldn't worry about that until you've mastered the prior.

GC.com Strikes Again

GC.com Strikes Again

GC-GGEP.jpg

Wow! I never realized that playing golf would change my ethnic background! Do we all become WASPs or something?

Wow! I never realized that playing golf would change my ethnic background! Do we all become WASPs or something?

Moreover, I never realized "diversity" was something that could, or should, be overcome.

Spoiler
It's "adversity" people!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

Just one of the many inspirational stories of Francis Ouimet.

I watched this last night. A bit over done, but I enjoyed it. I also love that caddy Eddie was instrumental in not one but two historic golf matches (being one of the motivating forces behind the Hogan/Byron vs. Venturi/Ward match popularized in another Frost book).

Back