2012 Ryder Cup - Medinah Country Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally think the American team is a little bit stronger than the Euro team. One of the things I think the Euros have over the Americans though, is that they always play amazing golf for the Ryder Cup. If you remember, Colin Montgomery always played like he should be winning every tournament he played in, when he played in the Ryder Cup.

It is definitely going to be a great Ryder Cup to watch though, can't wait.

I do think it's foolish to change your swing for 1 golf tournament. I mean the man was #1 in the world with his swing, should have stuck with it. Same goes for Tiger.

Tiger needed to change his swing or he would ruin his left knee for good.

I understand learning to play a draw and a fade but you gotta dance with who you brought.
TW has done pretty good with his three previous swing changes. This last one is a 'process'
A fade can be played on any course and win. TW played a fade but new how to hit the draw when needed.

Good article by Jason Sobel on how the Ryder Cup could be even better if it took some things from the President's Cup: http://www.golfchannel.com/news/jason-sobel/presidents-cup-vs-ryder-cup/

Here are the 2 main excerpts:
All of which leads to the single greatest attraction of the Presidents Cup over its biennial brethren.

There is no greater drama in off-course competition than when the captains and assistants meet prior to each session and plot their players against each other. One team announces its opening pairing – or individual player, in the case of Sunday’s singles matches – and the other counters, back and forth until each lineup card is filled.

It’s like a fantasy draft. Hold the fantasy.

The Ryder Cup is a dramatic, gut-wrenching contest that doesn’t need many improvements, but this would be a major upgrade, like installing a turbocharged engine into an already souped-up sportscar.

And of course, the pièce de résistance: Tiger Woods versus Rory McIlroy.

I want to see it. You want to see it. Hell, even they want to see it.

Asked recently about the potential of facing Woods in singles at Medinah, McIlroy brazenly said, “I'd love Tiger to go out first and kick his ass.” When Woods was posed with a question about being ready for such a defeat, he smiled and coolly stated, “No.”

There are two ways this clash of the titans could happen. The first is by Love and Olazabal conspiring behind closed doors to ensure that each player is slotted in the same place for his team, meaning that when the lineups are revealed – surprise, surprise – they’ll be magically matched.

The other is by sheer luck.

There are 479,001,600 potential combinations of singles matches. Tiger and Rory would play against each other in 39,916,800 of them. In real terms, there’s a 1-in-12 chance of it happening – or 8.33 percent.

Expand that to having them play in a specific spot in the lineup – remember, McIlroy coyly mentioned the words “go out first” – and the odds fall to 0.69 percent.

So there you go. We have a 1-in-144 chance of each captain sending his best player out in the first singles match – or the fourth, or the eighth, or the last.

It’s a shame that odds are so low for the one individual match-up everybody is craving. There aren’t many times we can watch the Ryder Cup and glumly whine, “This would never happen at the Presidents Cup…” but this could very well be one of them.

If Woods and McIlroy are to face each other, it will have to be the work of divine fate or a back-room, wink-wink deal between captains. That’s too bad. There should be a way the Ryder Cup can give the people – and the players – what they want.

I disagree with Sobel. The Ryder Cup is not all about Tiger and Rory. The suspense of who will draw whom greatly adds to TRC. Why wouldn't that off the tee monster Belgian and Tiger be a great match? Guys can make their bones by pulling a big upset in the singles.

We get a belly full of Tiger and Rory. I'm just as interested in seeing others do well under the intense pressure.

Kevin

I disagree with Esox. What does a captaincy entail now? Some wildcard selections, which players sit for two days, and outfits. I say let the captains set the lineups early and let the debate begin. I think it woulda add hours of enjoyment to TRC and keep it in the headlines for weeks and, not to mention, really add some heat to being a captain.

Tiger and Rory are going to play in Asia soon. Enjoy that. Leave TRC alone. The captains try to outwit each other under the current rules. Maybe it's a well placed pick that decides the cup. The picks are based on what the captains think gives them the best chance to add to, or makeup for, how the partner matches went.

Kevin

I disagree with Sobel. The Ryder Cup is not all about Tiger and Rory. The suspense of who will draw whom greatly adds to TRC. Why wouldn't that off the tee monster Belgian and Tiger be a great match? Guys can make their bones by pulling a big upset in the singles.

We get a belly full of Tiger and Rory. I'm just as interested in seeing others do well under the intense pressure.

Kevin

You obviously didn't read the entire article. I chose to highlight the Tiger-Rory part of it. His argument was that the captains don't get to match picks against one another like in the President's Cup, it's just a blind draw on a sheet of paper. IMHO, it's stupid. Give us the entertainment of the captains making picks against one another right before the matches start, and allow them to set up certain matches via that process.

I disagree, its not a player v player comp. Its a team strategy comp. I'd rather see an on form Kaymer vs an on form Tiger than an off form Mcilroy against him.

Its all about the scoreline after day 2 and the players' performances in those first 2 days. If Euro are 3 up, do we put out our strongest first, and hope to close it out, or our weakest first to hope they can all-square some matches to allow the tail enders' experience to hold up in the closing stages. Its all about prempting what the other captain will do.

I wouldn't like to see headline match ups for the sake of it - how then will we see Paul Lawrie taking Mickelson apart, or Molinari edging Tiger by 1 :)

Are you Tapatalking to me?

I think a blind draw is much more interesting from a strategic perspective, and it gives an interesting insight into the captains' psychology.

You obviously didn't read the entire article. I chose to highlight the Tiger-Rory part of it. His argument was that the captains don't get to match picks against one another like in the President's Cup, it's just a blind draw on a sheet of paper. IMHO, it's stupid. Give us the entertainment of the captains making picks against one another right before the matches start, and allow them to set up certain matches via that process.

Ary I have to disagree with you here. The fact that it's a blind draw gives us matches like Rocca vs Tiger (upset) or Johnson/DJ vs Sergio/Rory
Not knowing who will play who insures the players just prepare for the event instead of one player. I think it also helps these guys play as teammates vs individuals playing together. The drama that can ensue from a 50' uphill breaker by JL over JMO is incredible and makes this event what it is.
I rather like the blind draw it keeps all of on the edge of our sets.

Personally, I think the Presidents Cup is one of the biggest Mickey Mouse events in world sport. I'm more than happy with the way the Ryder Cup singles matches are drawn. Sure you don't try and pair your best players against their best players, but by it being a blind draw there is far more strategy involved. Do you do a Sam Torrence and send out all your best players early to get early points and secure the matches before the final groups get in, or do you do a Curtis Strange and send out all your best players last and loose the matches so their points make no difference to the outcome.

Personally, I think the Presidents Cup is one of the biggest Mickey Mouse events in world sport.

I'm more than happy with the way the Ryder Cup singles matches are drawn. Sure you don't try and pair your best players against their best players, but by it being a blind draw there is far more strategy involved.

I largely agree. The Presidents Cup has zero chance...and will never have a chance...to even remotely challenge the Ryder Cup for prestige, interest and drama.

The PC had to come up with any little gimmick they could possibly think of, in hopes of injecting the slightest bit of intrigue into the competition. Hence, the opportunity to blatantly schedule something like a Rory/Tiger singles match.

I largely agree. The Presidents Cup has zero chance...and will never have a chance...to even remotely challenge the Ryder Cup for prestige, interest and drama.

The PC had to come up with any little gimmick they could possibly think of, in hopes of injecting the slightest bit of intrigue into the competition. Hence, the opportunity to blatantly schedule something like a Rory/Tiger singles match.

This was the sentiment of the RC at one point when the US dominated year in and year out. And look at where we are today.
The PC is extremely young in respect to the RC. With the rise of foreign players on the world stage outside of Euro/GB, it's bound to get better

Ary I have to disagree with you here. The fact that it's a blind draw gives us matches like Rocca vs Tiger (upset) or Johnson/DJ vs Sergio/Rory
Not knowing who will play who insures the players just prepare for the event instead of one player. I think it also helps these guys play as teammates vs individuals playing together. The drama that can ensue from a 50' uphill breaker by JL over JMO is incredible and makes this event what it is.
I rather like the blind draw it keeps all of on the edge of our sets.

I agree completely. If it wasn't blind, you could almost pick every matchup, which is sort of boring.

This event takes off in two weeks, we gotta get some hype behind it. USA>>>USA>>>>USA

Thats right...USA all the way!

Yeah.......

201208270723265969596-p2.jpeg

Paul Azinger was interviewed by Chicago Sun-Times writer Herb Gould about the upcoming Ryder Cup. Here is an exerpt from the article:

As the host captain, Love has ordered up a Medinah that takes advantage of his long-hitting team, with manageable rough to go with some enticing risk-reward opportunities.

‘‘Davis has it set up so that it’s going to be a birdie-fest,’’ Azinger said. ‘‘It’s going to be high energy. I anticipate an epic Ryder Cup.’’

This event takes off in two weeks, we gotta get some hype behind it. USA>>>USA>>>>USA

Olé olé olé olé olééé olééé!!!!!

To be honest, I shall give this thread a wide birth during the Ryder Cup. I get pretty worked up! It's on a par for me with any England football or rugby match!!! I won't be able to take the stick if we're losing, and I won't be able to reign in the stick if we're winning LOL

Tapped via tapatalk

Euro all the way. Your boys better make the best of home advantage because you'll need it

Kaymer and Colsaerts both performed well this weekend - tied 5th in the Italian Open. Molinari had a nightmare 3rd round which killed his chances, even with the 65 in the 4th.

Its funny, but the person I'm the most worried about was the person I was least worried about 2 months ago - Luke Donald! The rest of the team can look after themselves I reckon.

Kaymer and Colsaerts both performed well this weekend - tied 5th in the Italian Open. Molinari had a nightmare 3rd round which killed his chances, even with the 65 in the 4th.

Its funny, but the person I'm the most worried about was the person I was least worried about 2 months ago - Luke Donald! The rest of the team can look after themselves I reckon.

Luke will be his usual self when it's time to play. I hope JMO puts Colsaerts out in the morning matches to settle him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back