are adjustable drivers standing up to the test of time?

I am gaming my first adjustable driver and I believe that it is has made me much more consistent. I feel like it is worth it and a solid improvement.

Exactly, and isn't that the point?

I on the other hand tinker with it still. Though not as much as when I first got it.

Well, I'm not dinging the technology. It's just more of a question. I suspect most people tinker a lot initially, get it dialed into a setting they like and leave it.

If you have one with a lot of adjustability (Titelist, Nike Tour, upcoming Cobra series, R11 series, etc.) then I think there really is some tinkering. On a lot of them though, it's just open and shut and that impacts the loft so much that those settings really may not realistically become options. I suspect most of those just are left at default.

I've had a couple of adjustable drivers (but admittedly none of the really advanced ones). I've found that the open/closed setting impacts the loft so much that I won't mess with it. The only real setting then is just the weight ports (if the driver has them).

I guess I wonder if the adjustable driver is really worth the premium. I wonder if most players wouldn't be better off with a more properly fitted shaft.

It seems the original Nike Str8fit adapters are flawed and can break easily, outside of that it doesn't seem that adjustable drivers are any more prone to break than anything else.

I've got the Nike with the Str8fit and it has held up well. I've also got the 910H and its as solid as the day I bought it. Both were adjusted slightly shortly after purchase and have not moved since. I'm not one for adjusting to conditions as consistency in my equipment is what I strive for.
The Nike Str8Fit had a significant problem originally. There's tons of posts throughout the Internet about it (happened to me as well). The head would snap off at the adapter. Nike replaced the entire club for me and has been fine since, but I still have it in my head that it very well could happen again any day. I'd only had the driver 30 +\- days so I was sure that the other driver handed to me at Golfsmith (off the rack) probably was built around the same time.

I can tell you that if I travel with my clubs, I carry a backup driver just in case.

The Nike Str8Fit had a significant problem originally. There's tons of posts throughout the Internet about it (happened to me as well). The head would snap off at the adapter. Nike replaced the entire club for me and has been fine since, but I still have it in my head that it very well could happen again any day. I'd only had the driver 30 +\- days so I was sure that the other driver handed to me at Golfsmith (off the rack) probably was built around the same time.

I can tell you that if I travel with my clubs, I carry a backup driver just in case.

Adjustable drivers are actually really easy to travel with. Take the head off of the shaft, put the head and headcover on a pocket of your bag, leave the shaft in the normal club slot in your bag. Then you don't have to worry about the shaft snapping at the hosel, especially with a stiff arm in place. I guess I don't see the point of taking a backup driver when you travel.

Sent from Tapatalk

Adjustable drivers are actually really easy to travel with. Take the head off of the shaft, put the head and headcover on a pocket of your bag, leave the shaft in the normal club slot in your bag. Then you don't have to worry about the shaft snapping at the hosel, especially with a stiff arm in place. I guess I don't see the point of taking a backup driver when you travel.

Sent from Tapatalk
Actually the issue isn't with the "travel". It snaps off at contact with the ball. I freaked when it happened on #10 of a tournament I was in (with 1 more day of rounds). I was in an area 2+ hours away from Phoenix which is where the closest golf store was. Fortunately I was playing at 5,000+ feet and could simply go 3W or 4i from the tee with lots of carry.

I would say my R11S has gotten a lot of play this year on the course and the range and it has held up very well. Never entered my mind that the adjustable hosel may wear down or break off.

As for adjusting the club, I adjusted a lot when I first got it but have since settled in on a setting and haven't changed anything in the last 2 months. Now I plan on putting a new shaft in this winter so next spring I'll go through the whole adjusting process again. I'll play with the lofts and weights in the club until I find something the right setting.

Personally, adjustable drivers are a waste of a feature for me. If my ball is slicing, hooking, fading or drawing when I didn't intend that shot shape, then it's a flaw in my swing. I prefer to fix my swing rather than playing with club adjustments.

I've never taken an adjustable driver off of neutral, and I don't intend to.

Am I stupid and stubborn, or anyone agree?

I game the R11s, when I bought it from Golfsmith we spent 30 minutes dialing all the settings in on the monitor.. Played with it like that for a few weeks then started hooking again, changed everything back to standard and now I can miss the thing. Just have so much more feel and feedback with it set to standard than I did with driver adjusted.

I do think the adjustable drivers are here to stay (just my opinion)

Back