The Official Banter Away Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude! I lurve LPs. My uncle has a '54 goldtop that he wont let me touch. Im too afraid to touch it too! Its mint and all original. Hidden from sunlight and people who wanna buy it... Its soooooooo gorgeous

yeah dude if I were him, I wouldn't even touch it, the 54 are as real as they can get, so valuable, the only les pauls worth money from what I understand are the 54 gold tops, 57 gold tops and the 58,59,60 burst les pauls these sell for thousand and thousands and thousands since only about 1200 guitars were built in those three years. It's on my bucket list to play an original 50s gibson even just touching it would be suffice haha

yeah dude if I were him, I wouldn't even touch it, the 54 are as real as they can get, so valuable, the only les pauls worth money from what I understand are the 54 gold tops, 57 gold tops and the 58,59,60 burst les pauls these sell for thousand and thousands and thousands since only about 1200 guitars were built in those three years. It's on my bucket list to play an original 50s gibson even just touching it would be suffice haha

My uncle has owned a recording studio in Toronto for like 25 years, and toured since like the 70s. He has some sweet stories and some even sweeter equipment. Underground rooms filled with guitars, basses, etc.

When the english invaded Jamaica, all of Bob Marley's musical equipment was shipped off the island so the english couldnt take it and sell it. My uncle ended up with the huge soundboard and still uses it to this day when he needs a specific sound. But with everything digital these days its not nearly used as often as it used to be.

My uncle has owned a recording studio in Toronto for like 25 years, and toured since like the 70s. He has some sweet stories and some even sweeter equipment. Underground rooms filled with guitars, basses, etc.

When the english invaded Jamaica, all of Bob Marley's musical equipment was shipped off the island so the english couldnt take it and sell it. My uncle ended up with the huge soundboard and still uses it to this day when he needs a specific sound. But with everything digital these days its not nearly used as often as it used to be.

wow that's awesome, so on your birthday do you get to pick from the lot lol, that would be so awesome man. Owning guitars like that is like owning a piece of history. The Les Paul revolutionized modern music because of the introduction of the solid body guitar with a maple cap for tone wood, and in 57 when seth lover introduced the humbucker, every guitar company went crazy trying to recreate the same pickup. I love the tone of a strat and have always appreciated them, but there is nothing like the fat rich distinctive tone that comes from a Les Paul. . .I remember watching some early recordings of Jimmy Page playing a telecaster, and then years later he played his 58 and 59 Les Pauls which defined Zeppelin's tone. . .there is nothing like a gibson in my opinion haha they're just freakin expensive

Yeah man there is certainly some Fender vs Gibson historical sounds and rivalries.

When in doubt, get them both (as my uncle used to say.. lucky guy)

great time of year for that,

Speaking of, it needs to happen soon. Kmac, BJ, Hanks, other Philly-ers, lets all go out for beers or something.

Thainer, have you gone to the Martin factory in Bethlehem? Not sure how far that is from you, but it's a very cool place to tour. They have a ton of guitars you can play as well.

Yeah man there is certainly some Fender vs Gibson historical sounds and rivalries.

When in doubt, get them both (as my uncle used to say.. lucky guy)

yep, I plan to get a telecaster in the near future for a different tone. I usually play-including practice about 15 hours a week and I have a pretty awesome stage set up, I'll take pictures or a video later of what I do

I spent most of the day yesterday working with a sound and guitar tech to work on my tone through the house system my tone is awesome according to him haha

how funny I just found this picture of me randomly on a random facebook page haha

561951_381115378627015_1613472475_n.jpg

Thainer, have you gone to the Martin factory in Bethlehem? Not sure how far that is from you, but it's a very cool place to tour. They have a ton of guitars you can play as well.

I had no idea hawk! Thanks for the recommendation!!

Funny story about Martin. My uncle found a 1912 mini Martin in a dumpster. Had it professionally rescued. That thing is so distinct in tone and feel, he says its the most expensive guitar he owns. But I'm done icejacking this thread with "my family" stories. My pro shop does have a decent sale going on too.

It was an awesome tour. They have a museum as well.

The "house of guitars" is pretty awesome too hawk. Thanks a lot for that recommendation. I'm definitely going to have to look into that.

I want to go to the Gibson Guitar factory, or the Marshall factory tour in the UK, that would be fun-RIP Father Marshall. . .

I love my Marshall dude. That would be fun!

I saw a really cool video on you tube a while back on how they make their stuff, it's so awesome

This should be the next tour van.

u8enyhep.jpg

y3u5equ4.jpg

I feel kinda bad that I have been a nonentity on THP lately. I haven't even been able to play golf since early August.

Yeah, but I have no way of justifying paying 20 dollars for it when I can play for free back home. And back home I am usually spending time with my old friends or my family instead of golfing. Golf my become an exclusively summer pursuit for me.
That sucks. Nothing near school?

You will be playing this weekend, correct?

Yeah, but I have no way of justifying paying 20 dollars for it when I can play for free back home. And back home I am usually spending time with my old friends or my family instead of golfing. Golf my become an exclusively summer pursuit for me.

dude that sucks. I hope you get to play soon, my university lets me play for $6 after 4 or 90$ a month unlimited walking, that's how I got more than 100 rounds in last season

I don't know why, but this whole Gangnam Style dance deal has me absolutely cracking up..

"Dress classy, and dance cheesy" -- I could probably handle that!

I wish this last admission would come in so I can shut it down for the night.

Well hotel flights and rental car are now booked. 6 days in Calgary baby starting on Sunday evening and leaving Friday night.

Boooooooo

Sent from someone else's iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back