SW gets his GolfTec on

Well first post lesson update time, thanks to last weeks lesson my iron play is getting a little better. In better positions through the swing especially regarding being on plane. Fighting hard with some toe strikes though.

Driver is just god awful. Trying to get my hands in the right spot going back is making me hit down and killing distance. Averaged 218 yds today, granted 11 of 14 were into a brutal wind but that doesn't matter when you struggle like this. It's carried over to my 4 wood as well, joy :(

Got a week to get it right so team drunk can whoop up on team whackers.

--
tapatalk

Don't worry buddy, I don't drink so we will be fine. Oh wait, KellyBo doesn't drink either and we know she is tough as nails on the golf course.

Started back with Golftec yesterday and man what a refreshing experience it is. I swear the guys there are not just coaches but people who actually care about you. I hadn't been in for a lesson since October and right off the bat it was like chatting with an old friend over a cold one. A couple swings and the problems had been identified, ironically what I thought I was doing well I was doing wrong and what I thought the problem was was actually perfect. I thought I was taking the club away outside and hiding my hands but instead I was slipping it inside. Hmm, video doesn't lie. Where I thought my swing was off was at the top, thinking my hands were too high. Actually I am in a perfect position at the top, go figure!

The inside takeaway forces your body to go out when you start the down swing resulting in the over the top move instead of allowing the club to drop inside. I didn't have a crazy ott move but it was there, club head was coming through my shoulder vs through the elbow where it is on plane. Went back to using the noodle drill where you take it over the noodle going back and under coming through. For my practice sessions he wants me to use the 3 tee reroute, a drill I really like and when I remember to use it I always swing better.

Lately I have been hampered with the thins and after seeing some video and talking about the swing mechanics I know why I was seeing that. I have a few practice routines to help with that thanks to a kind soul here at THP that compliment the 3 tee drill since a ball isn't needed to practice either.

Glad its going well for you SW, plenty of time to get those thins worked out. Looking forward to seeing how its working for you in July.

Great lesson today, without a doubt the best lesson I've ever had. Last time we worked on taking the club away outside to put in a easier position to reroute the club on plane coming down. After two weeks I feel pretty good and own that part of the swing, position at the top is dead perfect and I'm consistently dropping the club in the slot. Rather happy with that result and today we moved on to the next issue. Body rotation.

Anyone that's seen me play knows I've got an issue with a breakdown of my left arm through the zone, aka chicken wing. This comes from two things as it relates to me, the ott move I used to have and that I stop turning so I had to bend that arm to create space. That led to inconsistent contact and piss poor golf when it got bad, no fun. Video showed exactly what the culprit was right away, my weight was well back on my heels at impact and as a result I was flailing with my right arm.

At impact my toes on both feet were off the ground, you could put a golf ball under either foot it was so bad. This does a couple things but also kills distance, I'm not a long hitter anyway so something that inhibits that is very detrimental to me playing good golf. What we worked on was getting the right knee to go to the ball at the start of the down swing. A move that feels completely alien to me. A few easy swings later I was seeing much better results with my right heel coming up through impact indicating I was getting over into my left side. The chicken wing was still present in my left arm but the right arm was perfectly in-line with the shaft. This was a huge difference from the swing I walked in with. Before my arms and the club looked similar to home plate instead of a triangle. In other words, ugly.

It will take a while to get used to this feeling of getting the right knee in on the ball and transferring my weight proper but the results I saw today with the increased power are stunning. Feel wise I'm lost since its so different, almost feels how those older golf swings look, someone like Trevino comes to mind. Hard to imagine that with most of my power being in my lower body (thank you blocking sleds) how little I use my legs in the golf swing. Gave myself two more weeks to get this ingrained before tackling something else.

Good stuff there buddy, looking forward to seeing the new swing. Keep up the good work.

Good stuff SW. I love seeing all the hard work you are putting in to your game. Keep it up man!

I've been a little slack about updating this thread, the final push to the Morgan Cup and then getting caught up afterwards took precedent. You all will just have to accept missing out on my last lesson pre Morgan Cup haha.

Yesterday I went back in to golftec to work on a few things that crept up during the event that I didn't like and to tighten a few things up that we had been working on prior. I knew there was a little something off in my iron swing because I was seeing some thin shots on par 3's. The wonderful part about lessons at golftec is how you instantly see the swing on video, there is no delay in waiting on video. Nic pointed out that I had picked up a little sway forward on the downswing which explains the thin shots I was seeing from time to time. My left knee wasn't getting straight at the top and that was allowing me to move left into my knee instead of turning into my left side. If you've followed along at all you have seen that getting to my left side is a recurring problem for me, don't be like me and perfect a terrible swing before seeking help!

After a few low speed swings to get the feel of turning vs swaying we saw the results come right back. With making a better turn I also was coming through on an even better, or more consistent plane. The other part we worked on was getting the right knee driving into the ball again. I can do this well, but I tend to revert back to holding off until after contact before getting the right heel off the turf. I've got some drills to work on that with an impact bag. It will take sheer repetition to get that through my muscle memory.

I wasn't pleased with my driving performance in Myrtle so I wanted to a look at that while I was in. Of course the same freaking problem showed up. A poor move into the left side was making it nearly impossible to get the face completely closed at impact, which explains some of the bigger fades I was seeing. Takeaway and swing plane was still very good but because I wasn't posting into my left side there was a little flip at the ball. I'm not upset with my driving, it is staying in play consistently, but I know I can do better and I want to be better.

I'm playing the best golf of my life right now and it makes me happy. What will make me happier is getting better.

Mighty proud of ya Danny! :clapp: Looking forward to teeing it up with ya again soon.

I had another lesson at GolfTec yesterday and even though I say it every time I really feel like something clicked during that lesson. We've always heard that if something feels weird when you're working on your swing then it's probably right. Well yesterday felt really weird, like my legs were a part of someone else's body. It's no secret that my biggest flaw is getting the right side to drive though the ball from the top, instead I use my arms. That's causing me to consistently inconsistent and leave a good deal of power on the table.

What we worked on was getting the right knee to start the down swing in order to get over into the left side and deliver the club on a better plane more consistently. I swear it felt awful, just awful. Like I was about to tip over every time, entirely out of control. My instructor was incredibly reassuring that this was common for students to feel when doing something entirely different, that was quite a welcome thing to hear because I felt like a bull in a china shop. After a few more swings it began to feel better and when we took a look at the video it looked much better.

1_zpsac5874aa.jpg

I've always had a bit of chicken wing in my swing which came from the OTT move that I had for so long and it's been a devil to get out. I have started some progress with that though and the video shows it as well. Finally I am getting that feeling on letting my arms go at the ball instead of feeling like I'm pulling my arms back in at impact, it's a glorious feeling!

3_zpse223fe35.jpg

Good work, Danny! That's an issue of mine as well. Seems like whenever I think it's gone it comes right back. I'm running out of time to break that 80 barrier, so I'm going to be rooting for you vicariously.

Good looking pics there buddy, keep up the good work.

Good work, Danny! That's an issue of mine as well. Seems like whenever I think it's gone it comes right back. I'm running out of time to break that 80 barrier, so I'm going to be rooting for you vicariously.

Good looking pics there buddy, keep up the good work.

Thanks fellas.

Hawk, me and under 80 are going to meet soon. Hopefully you'll have a mild winter dude, you've done a lot of good work and I'll toast you a Keystone when you break through :drinks:

I'll take you up on that! I know we have it in us buddy. Just a matter of putting all together at the same time. It's bound to happen sooner or later.

SW great reading of your golftec journey. It sounds like you've established a great relationship with your coach. That's as powerful as it comes. I've tried the golftec way, I was really put off with the pressure sales that I encountered. Maybe I need to find another location. But your journey really is inspirational to all of us seeking improvement.

I know this thread goes back a ways but I'm thinking about trying lesson(s) at GolfTec nearby (altamonte springs, fl, if there are locals who know anything about that location) and it sounds like most of the feedback I see here from users has been positive. Are these typically packages of lessons? It sounds like you get the video from the lesson to take home and rehash? I'm getting back into the the game after 10-12 years away and video wasn't areound much back when I first learned it.

Steve

Back