Ryder Cup Contest - THP & KBS & Official 2012 Ryder Cup Thread [Spoilers]

Am I the only one who thinks that in terms of driving distance the American's have a slight advantage, but not as much as some appear to believe.

This got me thinking. I dunno. So, anyone love a stat?

2012 average driving distance -

USA - 293.6
Europe - 290.9

Bubba is 5 yards out in front of DJ and Rory, with Keegan and Colsaerts the other 2 knocking it over 300 on average. I've taken the stats from the PGA tour where possible.

I really think these stats are skewed as the long hitters don't always hit driver on the measurement holes. Brandel also feel back on these stats. The long hitters on each side can leave the planet with their drives. I mean rory hot a 340 yard 3W on the final hole of an event. The difference is the US had more long hitters.

Everyone remeber the RED OUT this Sunday in support of Team USA!!!

I really think these stats are skewed as the long hitters don't always hit driver on the measurement holes. Brandel also feel back on these stats. The long hitters on each side can leave the planet with their drives. I mean rory hot a 340 yard 3W on the final hole of an event. The difference is the US had more long hitters.

I tend to agree. For instance, Colsaerts averages 303.8. I know he can put one out there quite a bit further than that.

We can point out the guys who are long, and I think the ghost was right. I don't think there's a whole lot in it between the teams in terms of distance. Certainly not enough (and not accurate enough) for one team to claim advantage.

I tend to agree. For instance, Colsaerts averages 303.8. I know he can put one out there quite a bit further than that.

We can point out the guys who are long, and I think the ghost was right. I don't think there's a whole lot in it between the teams in terms of distance. Certainly not enough (and not accurate enough) for one team to claim advantage.

I wonder if all the long hitters have a go to shot like the stinger. If the heavy lumber fails there has to be a powerful solution in the bag.

This got me thinking. I dunno. So, anyone love a stat?

2012 average driving distance -

USA - 293.6
Europe - 290.9

Bubba is 5 yards out in front of DJ and Rory, with Keegan and Colsaerts the other 2 knocking it over 300 on average. I've taken the stats from the PGA tour where possible.

See I had looked at the same thing, which is why it got me to thinking if they really have an advantage. Though with the rough down and in something like 4-ball format, you need to think that some guys will step on it a little more.

I wonder if all the long hitters have a go to shot like the stinger. If the heavy lumber fails there has to be a powerful solution in the bag.

See I had looked at the same thing, which is why it got me to thinking if they really have an advantage. Though with the rough down and in something like 4-ball format, you need to think that some guys will step on it a little more.

I think right there is the more telling point. Which team has the most players capable of squeezing the extra 10% out of their driver swing, if the course conditions allow a little leeway? I'd give the nod to the USA on that one.

It will come down to putting. Short game > long game.

I think driver distance is overrated in this event. I'm more concerned with ball striking out of the fairway and proximity to the hole. This is why guys like Donald destroys fools in the RC. I love the additions of Dufner and Keegan to the US squad, I think they bring a nice level of ball striking and iron play to the US squad.

I think driver distance is overrated in this event. I'm more concerned with ball striking out of the fairway and proximity to the hole. This is why guys like Donald destroys fools in the RC. I love the additions of Dufner and Keegan to the US squad, I think they bring a nice level of ball striking and iron play to the US squad.

You guys are taking all the fun out of this and you're looking at it too logically. What happened to the american way? Like your sport cars....POWER!!!

Agreed, good putters and ball strikers like TC says are what win matches.

that goes with saying, long drives don't win the RC. It's clutch putting.

But have short irons from intermediate rough can be just a deadly as mid irons from the fairways, sometimes more.

Freddie, I'd take Luke Donald with a mid iron over Tiger with a wedge from the rough 99% of the time. Tiger's distance control has been a problem, even out of the fairway.

You must have missed the post where Luke/Lee shot a 59 in best ball yesterday? That's stupid.

Freddie, I'd take Luke Donald with a mid iron over Tiger with a wedge from the rough 99% of the time. Tiger's distance control has been a problem, even out of the fairway.

You must have missed the post where Luke/Lee shot a 59 in best ball yesterday? That's stupid.

Don't put too much stock in it, it's not the weekend yet.

Sergio is 8-0-1 in foursome matches. Holy crap is that impressive.

Don't put too much stock in it, it's not the weekend yet.

Dude, this is a whole nother beast, it ain't no stroke play tournament. Approach shots and putting will be the premium. Lee is a turrible putter, I can admit that, but if he can get hot with the putter, he'll be a tough point for anyone.

He's a machine man. He throws lasers out there and pisses Americans off everywhere.

I do think the US squad this year is stacked though. I love some of the fresh faces and I think we have the two best putters in the event in Sneds and Keegs. I think those two guys wreck shop!

He's a machine man. He throws lasers out there and pisses Americans off everywhere.

I do think the US squad this year is stacked though. I love some of the fresh faces and I think we have the two best putters in the event in Sneds and Keegs. I think those two guys wreck shop!

I agree dude. I really like most of the players on both sides. I will be there Sunday, and cannot wait to see some good shots. There will be plenty of birdies, I just hope the Mericans bring their short games.

He'll be 8-2-1 after this weekend. I agree though, very impressive. He came in at a good time, he got to play with a lot of really good veterans while he was young. That helped him get some wins for sure. Not discrediting Sergio's Ryder Cup record one bit though, he's a stud. (Unless he plays Anthony Kim in singles. :D)

He'll be 8-2-1 after this weekend. I agree though, very impressive. He came in at a good time, he got to play with a lot of really good veterans while he was young. That helped him get some wins for sure. Not discrediting Sergio's Ryder Cup record one bit though, he's a stud. (Unless he plays Anthony Kim in singles. :D)

Yes, he got whooped by AK on Sunday. Boy how AK has fallen since. There could be so many great matches and pairings. Im just not a Bubba or DJ fan, but am excited to see the rest of our team in person.

Talking Ryder Cup Sunday singles matches with the PGA pro at my home course, he thinks Zach goes last for the US and lead off with Tiger.

I said anchor with Sneds and, if Tiger plays like has been lately burry him in the middle

Yes, he got whooped by AK on Sunday. Boy how AK has fallen since. There could be so many great matches and pairings. Im just not a Bubba or DJ fan, but am excited to see the rest of our team in person.
AK was so into the beat down of Sergio that he didn't even know the match was over. But yeah, who would have thought that 4 years later we'd never hear a peep from AK. I honestly thought he'd become a Ryder Cup stalwart. Too bad.

This year is great, I cannot get enough of the coverage leading up to this. Live from the Ryder Cup, PGA Tour radio on the way to work, RyderCup.com at work. Man I love this event!

id lead off with Bradley then Watson and come home with Dufner and Woods.

Talking Ryder Cup Sunday singles matches with the PGA pro at my home course, he thinks Zach goes last for the US and lead off with Tiger.

I said anchor with Sneds and, if Tiger plays like has been lately burry him in the middle

On which days of the week? Lol. I would anchor it with either Tigger or Dufner.

Back