my Dad. He was a lousy golfer (still is) but enjoyed the game. Mom got him into it as a way to unwind from work. When I was about 11 or 12, he got me a cheap starter set and would take me out to Scenic View GC in Slinger, WI near where we lived. It was a goat patch at the time and cheap to play. We'd go out early Saturday morning when the dew was still thick and rent pull carts and play. As a treat once in awhile he'd rent a cart and we'd ride. Wow...that was the big time. I enjoyed the game even though I stunk at it. I stunk at team sports even more cuz I was a skinny little runt so golf was a way for me to compete at something without getting hurt. when I turned 13, Dad got me a caddying job at North Hills CC and I got to see how the upper crust enjoyed the game. I worked there for a couple of seasons and had a blast and made enough money to buy a nice 10-speed bike after my first season. I also got to meet a bunch of celebrities in the annual Vince Lombardi Open pro-am event. My 2nd season, I actually got to caddy for Jim Lovell not long after the Apollo 13 ordeal.

I played golf with friends all through high school but never played on the HS Golf team and kick myself for not doing it now. After I went in the Navy I drifted away from it...again, kicking myself for never taking the time to play when I was in Scotland even though there were times I had the opportunity. (too busy chasing girls back then, oh well) I tried to get back into it after the military but got married, was working my tail off to raise a family and would get out once in awhile as a treat. Fast forward to 7-8 years ago...I started up again as I began to have more time in my life and am nuts about the game now. I got my wife into it and we have a great time playing together. When dad and I get the opportunitiy to visit, we always get together and play a round but now we go to my club and ride in my cart. :act-up:

I bass fished tournaments since I was 14.
I got really burnt out last year. It was no longer fun because the job I had didn't allow me to have much time to fish. I was always traveling. (Not that I dont know). My dad had a brain anneurism and during his recovery he was told not to get in a boat. So I bought some clubs and he would walk nine with me to get exercise and hunt balls with me.

Now a year and a half later, I still film deer hunting and produce a show (in works) and I have managed to get to a 12 HCP..

My best moment was 4 months ago when I hit my first and only ace, my dad standing with me on the Tee Box.

Go Big Orange

When I was a kid I took out my dad's 2 wood to the school field tee it up and hit a bunch of balls from a shag bag pick them up and do it all over again. My dad then got me and my brothers a 5 pack of lessons and off I went just figured it out from then on and I think my swing is uniquely mine. I still manage to play with my dad about six time a year.

I started playing with a couple of friends of mine when I was in college, but the man that really got me addicted to it was my college roommate's stepdad. He would come pick me up and we would go play somewhere different every time. When he moved to Texas, I would make trips out to visit just to play golf with him. He now suffers from M.S. I believe and can no longer play. I wish he was still able to. There are many times I wish we could get back out there and play again.

My father got me into the game when I was very young. My grandfather loved the game too. I remember he cut an old driver or 3 wood down to about 2 feet so I could hit balls with him in the backyard. I also remember playing alot until I was about 14yrs old, then team sports took over, basketball & hockey mostly. Then when I was 24 I just felt like golfing one day after work and I've been obsessed with it ever since. Now me and my old man play golf together a few times a week and have been for the last 8 years.

I bass fished tournaments since I was 14.
I got really burnt out last year. It was no longer fun because the job I had didn't allow me to have much time to fish. I was always traveling. (Not that I dont know). My dad had a brain anneurism and during his recovery he was told not to get in a boat. So I bought some clubs and he would walk nine with me to get exercise and hunt balls with me.

Now a year and a half later, I still film deer hunting and produce a show (in works) and I have managed to get to a 12 HCP..

My best moment was 4 months ago when I hit my first and only ace, my dad standing with me on the Tee Box.

Go Big Orange

Very nice story about your Ace. Has your Dad's life returned to normal? Can he get back in a boat - fish? Did your dad play golf prior to aneurism?

For me it was a combination of Tiger and my mom's side of my family. My mom's family was always big into golf. My grandma and grandpa have been playing forever and my uncle is a teaching pro. Once I started watching Tiger it got my interest and my grandpa and uncle got me out onto the course anytime I would visit.

My dad was the one who got me into golf. I had played baseball pretty much since I could remember, played all the way up to my sophomore year in high school. During my sophomore year in high school I ended up throwing out my shoulder (tendon damage), I decided to opt out of the surgery and try physical therapy, but my tendons just never regained the necessary strength to continue playing baseball (would throw and my arm basically would come out of my socket and make a loud popping noise when I tried to throw.) After extended throwing periods I would be unable to lift my arm above shoulder level.

Anyways, I had always had plans to play baseball in college (had some interest from a couple D2 schools), and after all the stuff that I went through with my arm I guess you could say I was depressed and just kinda hung around home not doing much. Anyways, after a couple weeks of me not wanting to do anything, my dad asks me to go golfing with him and my grandpa. He played it off like just doing it for the sake of spending time with grandpa etc. Little did I know that my dad had bought me a set of clubs from a garage sale (Ping ISI's with a Ping TISI driver). So I went golfing with him and had a blast. After the round, I saw a sign that the golf course was hiring. Ended up asking the pro there for an application, filled it out, and was hired on the spot as a range/cart boy. The rest is kind of history, I played golf that entire summer pretty much every day.

I was lucky enough to get 2 years worth of playing golf with my dad before he passed away, and I still cherish those times today.

My dad. He isnt very good but he loves to get out there and "spend time with his boys." Some of my greatest times with him were out on a golf course.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

My friends suggested I try again. I took lessons last year and was bored stiff on the putting green. It was hot and tedious and way too scientific for me. I took lessons at an indoor simulator a couple of months ago and liked the feeling of hitting the ball, rather than putting. I then moved to outdoor lessons again, and I am now hooked. Got my new clubs, joined the country club, and will play weekly with the 9-hole ladies group.

I now know the importance of putting, and am no longer bored. I absolutely love this sport!

Marie

I convinced myself to give it a try when I was 12. I had some friends who golfed and showed me some basics as best they could, but it wasn't until my dad bought me the Jack Nicklaus Golf My Way VHS (talking mid-80's here) that I began to figure things out. My dad was not a golfer himself, but he liked that I was taking an interest in it.

I have had to re-convince myself to get back into golf a few times since then (I quit shortly after starting college, re-started about 5 years later playing RH, quit again, restarted again as a lefty, then quit and restarted again again, lol.)

I can't believe it took me 32 years to actually get lessons. I don't see myself quitting again, although my enthusiasm has been dampened by lack of progress. I'll get that enthusiasm back as soon as I go about 2 weeks without golfing!

Very very randomly..

Was eating breakfast around 2 weeks ago at my girlfriends house ..my girlfriends sisters boyfriend walks into the kitchen with his bag and says "I'm going golfing" then walked out the door. At that moment it hit me, I looked at my GF and said "I want to start golfing". True story, random as can be, took a lesson the following week, have been to the range every day except for one since my lesson, and have my second lesson tomorrow. I am already obsessed.

My dad started bringing me out to the course with him when I was around 12 or so and I was a casual golfer that never really kept score until I was 22. When I met my wife her little 12 year old brother was obsessed with golf and the kid was a player! He was shooting high 80's low 90's and it was all I could do to break 100 even with some lucky bounces and foot wedges etc. I think at that point I decided "enough is enough" and got more serious into it. He is my favorite playing partner and we have a great friendly rivalry, although he is a much better golfer than I.

I was invited one day by a company that I do work for and did not like it much but the second time was a different story.

My dad cut down my first club. I played a lot with him as a kid until he passed when I was 17. Picked it back up hardcore about three years ago.

Just tap it in, just tap it in.

I have a two friends who introduced me to golf. Their patience and encouragement made me fall in love with the game and now my whole family golfs. My oldest son won the city junior championship and our club junior champion this year and his brother is catching up fast. I hope I can inspire others the way they inspired me!

My best friend growing up. We used to putt around his house and watch golf. Got hooked watching Tiger play.

One of my best friends always used to play golf and I would pick on him relentlessly for it, I know I know but I was that guy. About 5 years ago he finally convinced me to give it a tryand ever since then I have been hooked! I'm 30 now, I started playing at 25 and I really wish I wouldve started earlier!

How long have you been playing?

How long have you been playing?

Searched and didn't find anything like this, thought it would be cool to know how long everyone has been playing, how often they play, and their average handicap. Also, how long did it take you to break 100? New golfer here if it isn't obvious. :D

I started playing my Freshman year of high school (4 years ago) and I'm about a 10 handicap right now. Took me about a half a year to break 100.

A year and a half, I love this game

Never had really played golf until my lifelong neighbor purchased a local course. Got me into it!

One of my friends needed a few guys for a local charity event, I didn't want to play golf cause I though it was stupid. Little did I know how hard and how addicting this game would become, we played a nice tournament and since then I've played non stop

been swinging clubs since I could stand.. eventually my dad let me come along on the course, letting me play a couple holes here and there. eventually, when i couldn't play baseball anymore, so i started to take golf more seriously. about two years ago, i really started taking it serious. i'm down to a 10-ish handicap now, and i hope to be a 1 or 2 by the end of senior year (next year).

Back