3BaysGSA vs SwingByte vs Swingsmart vs Golfsense

mrchua

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi,

Im not sure if there is an existing thread already on this topic... If there is please advise.

Can anyone here please review and compare the swing analyzers mentioned?

Thanks

I post on another thread too, Swingbyte Review . Hope it helps. Good Day :act-up:

Collected my 3Bays GSA this afternoon and managed to get a quick session in at the range. Tried it in my Driver and my 6 iron:

Setup - really easy to get this connected to the iPhone. Follows standard Bluetooth connectivity processes and had it connected in about 30 seconds from taking it out the box (I suggest you download the App from before getting the GSA. Once it is int he back of the club, basically all you have to do is set up behind the ball, wait to seconds and swing. No pressing buttons etc. once it is on and connected to the phone.

Results - I am a fairly decent player (+1 index) and know my swing quite well. I want to use the GSA for keeping track of Swing speed and swing path, as I fight getting too far inside on the downswing and this can translate into hitting big hooks and pushes (let alone the odd unspeakable shank). The device was very accurate on Swings speed and the representation of the swing path seemed to depict exactly what was going on. I will probably compare it against video footage at the next range session, but as a tool to manage/monitor the fault I am trying to fix it is exactly what I need. I also like the idea that you get both the down the line and from the side representation so checking things like how far the club goes back on half swings, coming over the top, or from the inside etc. are really easily to see visually. The only thing missing is data on angle of attack at impact, which the Swingbyte and Swingsmart seem to provide (though I am not sure how they do this given the device would need to know how far the hands are ahead of the ball at impact - I have asked the developers).

The swing speed measurement seems to be really accurate (which I would expect as it should have a high quality accelerometer in the device). The SS measured seems to correlate really well with distance achieved, and is very very close to what I have been measured on high quality launch monitors. In respect of the Attainable Ball Speed, and Attainable Distance - they are what they are and are merely a good indication of what could be achieved if the ball is well struck. No device can state that they can provide actual measurements other than expensive radar base LM's.

The face angle at impact is accurate, though it really only has three outcomes (open, square and closed) so it does not really tell you much other than if it is open/square/closed - there is no finer level of detail as to how open or closed. The swin path at impact is the same, inside/square/outside. Once again, no measurement of how much, though it is easy to see just how far on the inside et. it is when viewing the 3d representation of the swing. This feature alone is awesome and to me is the best part of the device.

The only thing I think is missing is the AoA measurement, but as stated before I am not sure that the devices that do provide this, do so accurately (I will know more once the develops get back to me).

All-in-all I think this is a good swing tool, and used together with a good video camera will really assist in highlighting swing faults and help monitor progress in correcting them on the range. The fact that it is so easy to use and can be actually played in the club whilst on the course, with instant feedback allowing you to compare the swing representation to the ball flight that actually took place makes this a great on course tool as well.

Hope this helps.....

Last edited:
andrevdp - did I miss it somewhere? Which product are you reviewing?

My bad - the GSA from 3Bays.....I have edited my post to reflect as much. Thanks for alerting me to the omission :)

I've been interested in these items, but not sure they would actually provide anything useful. One can tell based on divot, feel, and ball flight what they're probably doing wrong with there swing. Add a video camera or a third party to watch to further reinforce what may need to be tweaked in your swing.

At your skill level, do you think the device is actually improving your game? Or is it more of an interesting, fun toy?

That's a really good question. It is useful only in that I am working on correcting a swing fault at the moment, and the swing path helps in telling me how "succesful" I am on each swing in geting to where I want to be. Other than that, it is a cool fun toy :) I think, however, that a lot of my friends will benefit from it.

Looking to pull the trigger on one of these, what does everyone recommend?

Anybody else tried one of these? I really like the idea of how easy it is to swap clubs with it.

Anyone still using one of these?

I have used the 3Bays GSA PRO recently. I tested it out with my 7,8 and 9 irons.

I am not going to be very specific, as andrevdp did a good job of breaking it down. My experience with the device is quite positive, as all the reads provided by the device gave me the chance to track my swings from start to finish ( I hit about 10 balls with each club). It recorded every swing with succession and the stats gave me enough to work with to adjust my swing.

I tested it out with a friend who is far better golfer than i am. I used it to record his shots taken with the irons and used them to compare with my own. Instantly, I was able to see clearly the difference in our swing paths and swing speed, especially with the swing tempo. This thing is sort of like a cheat sheet when you write your exams: give you enough to work with, so long you know what to look for and how to utilize it.

Overall, I think this is a great tool to improve and better your swing and hopefully, it will reflect well on my scorecard in the future.

I've been interested in these items, but not sure they would actually provide anything useful. One can tell based on divot, feel, and ball flight what they're probably doing wrong with there swing. Add a video camera or a third party to watch to further reinforce what may need to be tweaked in your swing.

At your skill level, do you think the device is actually improving your game? Or is it more of an interesting, fun toy?

I have been kicking around the swingbyte 2 when it is released.

taptalking my way to a lower score

I like Golfsense because you can take practice swings at home without hitting something and it will still record everything.

I have a swingbyte...Here is my attempt at similar feedback as Andrevdp, even though I am not a +1 (goal is sub 5 this year)

Setup- Although it is very simple...the newer software is still a little slow at connecting via Bluetooth to my Ipad or my phone...Also, it is important o edit your clubs in the club selection area, or none of the swing speeds etc. will be accurate...So you need to make sure you know exact lofts, and lengths of clubs etc. And make sure and customize the names of the clubs so you can select them easily versus the standard clubs in the "bag" However, once set up is done, clubs are adjusted for your actual clubs...Set up is only as hard as connecting the bluetooth...

Results: I played a lot with it at the range last year, found it to be very helpful, also used laser range finder to check distances etc. and it was VERY accurate!!!...However, I was annoyed at the alignment function of it...you have to align it to your lower grooves on your club, and every swing resulted in having to adjust it...Additionally, the bands that secure it, were less than ideal, and broke on my after about 10 uses...however, I must say, SwingByte was fantastic in service sending out new ones, apologizing, and including several extras for me...explained what they are doing different etc. so service was FANTASTIC (which is HUGE in my book)...I found the swing path, swing speed, and projected flight result to be VERY accurate...

The Swingbyte does a very nice job telling you exactly how open, closed or square your head was to address...I found it to be VERY picky compared to actual flight output...However, I did like knowing the stats on how open or closed...(sounds like this is different than 3Bays)

I found the swing tempo readout to be very helpful!! I am a fast swinger, and so my default is to screw with tempo and then I get missed shots...if I maintain tempo my shot dispersion is VERY manageable...So this aspect was in my opinion very helpful...

Wishes: I hope the software in the future can give you audible read out to headset or whatever, similar to the ES12, I tend to hit quickly, and like to do the headphones when practicing (increases distraction for potential issues in tournaments etc.) so it would be helpful to me, to have audible read out of speed, path, and tempo...

Wish that it made the assumption I was square to address, so I did not have to align device for every swing...However, I understand the logic, but I do not like re-aligning every time...Looking forward to the new software which is supposed to take video and crop it to the 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 as well as full swing...that will be a HUGE help!! (which is apparently in the new software to be released)

long and short of it, really like it, has some anomolies, but worth it in my opinion...

You can also use the 3bays to practice your swing at home, without actually hitting the golf ball. The device will still register data such as swing path and club head speed,etc. I did so in my backyard and it recorded my swings just fine.

The set up is easy enough, as long as you have experience with pairing a bluetooth device to your phone, then you should have no problem setting the 3bays gsa. What I really like about this device is that it is not intrusive when you swing and that the device is so small that you hardly recognize its there.

I read that with other devices, you have to adjust the placement on the shaft frequently, almost after every swing you have to look and see if its aligned properly. With the 3bays, I did not have to worry about that. This is not saying it doesn't move at all, its does and it will, but the adjustment is of minimal, just a slight turn, and I only had to do it after 8-10 swings. Just make sure you push the pin all the way down for maximum security.

Back