The Official "Help WSE Learn to Smoke Stogies" Thread

worst_shot_ever

I leave big divots
Reaction score
Alright gents, as I said elsewhere, I failed in my efforts to become a Single Malt swiller extraordinaire (which thrills the Wifey to be honest), but there are a couple cigar shops near my office, and with all my virtues I could use some countervailing cardinal vices, so let's say I'm intrigued by the possibility of becoming a toker of big cigars. Because I like to do things right, I would be interested in learning about a good place to start from the experts -- i.e., something smooth, easy to appreciate, your basic "gateway" sticks so to speak. All suggestions welcome!

Yours in Vice,
WSE

Last edited:
The gateway sticks for me were Rocky Patel Edge Lite and Rocky Patel Connecticut. Both are very good for my taste and are fairly mild. As a first timer I would recommend something smooth, light, and creamy. I have your address and will send a small sampler over this week.

I started with the Natural line of Padrons, when I started I smoked the 3000s. Ashton Cabinets might be nice too, a little creamy, pretty smooth.

I would agree with what JB said, the Rocky Patel Connecticut was a staple of mine when I started smoking. And those Padrons Gasman suggested are really good and fairly inexpensive.

I know Gummi made some good suggestions in the past and I can't seem to find that thread.

Just be warned, cigars can be a BIG hobby($$$), best to start slow and figure out what you like before getting in to buying many cigars and humidors and such. I certainy would suggest buying singles and trying different ones first. That way if you don't get in to it it's not a big loss and if you do enjoy it you can kind of figure out what you like before diving in.

i wanted to like smoking smoke cigars. a few years ago my ex boss and a few buddies went to Havana Cuba (via Mexico) and I bought a few dozen Cohibas and Monte Cristos. I smoked ONE cigar and got so nauseous that i never smoked another one again and ended up giving all my Cubans away, lol. i thought i was really cool for a couple of minutes. then i never wanted to smoke one ever again :-(

WSE,
Make sure you are doing it for the hobby of smoking them. I know for me the "collectible" side like wine can be part of it. I got a sampler headed your way.

i wanted to like smoking smoke cigars. a few years ago my ex boss and a few buddies went to Havana Cuba (via Mexico) and I bought a few dozen Cohibas and Monte Cristos. I smoked ONE cigar and got so nauseous that i never smoked another one again and ended up giving all my Cubans away, lol. i thought i was really cool for a couple of minutes. then i never wanted to smoke one ever again :-(

Yes that does happen, with cigars you have to crawl before you walk. I know a guy at work who inhales his cigars, not for me, and I would probably keel over green if I did. I have learned the art of being able to breathe a little bit out of the nose to help pick up some nuisances, but I only do that a few times while smoking. I think a lot of people don't understand that when smoking a cigar you have to take your time with it and puff about once a minute to keep it from burning hot and building up tar.

Yes that does happen, with cigars you have to crawl before you walk. I know a guy at work who inhales his cigars, not for me, and I would probably keel over green if I did. I have learned the art of being able to breathe a little bit out of the nose to help pick up some nuisances, but I only do that a few times while smoking. I think a lot of people don't understand that when smoking a cigar you have to take your time with it and puff about once a minute to keep it from burning hot and building up tar.

yeah, i had no idea what i was doing. i never even smoked cigarettes. but i just started puffing away on a big ol Cohiba and i turned green about 3 minutes later :alien:

Alright gents, as I said elsewhere, I failed in my efforts to become a Single Malt swiller extraordinaire (which thrills the Wifey to be honest), but there are a couple cigar shops near my office, and with all my virtues I could use some countervailing cardinal vices, so let's say I'm intrigued by the possibility of becoming a toker of big cigars. Because I like to do things right, I would be interested in learning about a good place to start from the experts -- i.e., something smooth, easy to appreciate, your basic "gateway" sticks so to speak. All suggestions welcome!

Yours in Vice,
WSE

WSE, my guess is that if you gave Wifey the choice between Single Malt swiller extraordinaire and junior birdman cigar afficionado, she'd vote for the former.

I used to love smoking all types of tobacco (and non-tobacco) products...then I got lung cancer so unfortunately I had to give it all up. so smoke one for me guys!

I am like WSE...I see a lot of people smoking the cigars when playing and seeming to love it..
I dont smoke now and am not sure the wifes take on it, but I ws also thinking of trying it again.
There are just too many people doing it not to experiment...
Like Rocket, I had abad experience in '97 when I went on TDY.. After the end of a 6 week "outing" in the NM desert, we were celebrating our departure back to Bama.. Unfortunately either I was inhaling too much or they were of bad quality, but I got so sick that I put them down and did not even think about trying one again until this year..

I might utilize your expert advice and find a shop to pick a mild one up....

bama

WSE, my guess is that if you gave Wifey the choice between Single Malt swiller extraordinaire and junior birdman cigar afficionado, she'd vote for the former.

So this is what you think of us Cigar Smokers claire???
[YOUTUBE]qNMBP-ZpmH0[/YOUTUBE]
SIde note... What's up with the kids inside of a uhaul???

Thats what I was thinking, kind of creepy.

Bama, the ladies love it. :act-up: Especially when you leave the patio door open when all of the buddies are over and the house smells for a week. Although, I do have a few buddies whos wives smoke with them.

So this is what you think of us Cigar Smokers claire???

More or less. :act-up:

Day camp couldn't afford a school bus?

Bama, the ladies love it. :act-up: Especially when you leave the patio door open when all of the buddies are over and the house smells for a week. Although, I do have a few buddies whos wives smoke with them.

Given the option, I prefer a man with a pipe. All the fiddling stuff is kinda sexy.

Given the option, I prefer a man with a pipe. All the fiddling stuff is kinda sexy.

Sexy?

Spoiler
old%20man%20smoking%20pipe.jpg

Should have seen all that coming. C'mon--the busyness of filling the pipe, and all the accoutrements. It's fun to watch. Pipes smell better than cigars, too.

You're weird.

............Given the option, I prefer a man with a pipe. All the fiddling stuff is kinda sexy.

I used to smoke a pipe with my ex wifes grandfather every other Sunday...Was nice to sit and relax...

Smoking a stogie with guys during/after a game just sounds cool....

Smoking a stogie with guys during/after a game just sounds cool....

Definitely, its a nice way to wind down after a round. I love having a drink and figuring out the bets with a stogie.

Today I received my little package from JB with several lovely looking cigars within. Here's some pics for those of you who follow the trade. I've got them all together, and then tried to take some close ups so the labels are more clear:

dsc0847.jpg

The Line-Up

dsc0848p.jpg

Close Up #1

dsc0849b.jpg

Close Up #2

Thanks, JB!! I'll report back over the next couple of weeks and let you know what I think of each.

Back