Wedge Shoot Out is Official

sounds like Titleist is just being 'fashionably late' with their response :blob:

i wish Tour Edge Exotics would step up

They will not be RS.

i see you also havent heard from Scratch or Bobby Jones yet as well? i was curious about both of those too

We have heard from both and neither will be participating. We have heard from everybody on the list. However we do have 2 Scratch wedges here that we could use. We have not decided as of yet.

We have heard from both and neither will be participating. We have heard from everybody on the list. However we do have 2 Scratch wedges here that we could use. We have not decided as of yet.

you should do it! i wanna see if all the hype is for real

JB,
when is the wedge shoot out supposed to take place? I am working on something now .

Chris

It will be starting in about 10 days. We have assembled a great group of players and have one more invite out that said they would respond to us by Monday.

We are one mid-capper short of our list of 18 testers (due to someone dropping out), so if you are in the Tampa area and are between 8 and 16 handicap and want to participate please let me know. Thanks.

Last edited:
Slot filled. Thanks guys.

Im kind of bummed that Bobby Jones didnt throw their hat into the mix. I mean they charge more than all of the other wedges out there and Pelz tells yo for a half hour how great the club is.

Their response was:

"While we participated in one such event of comparing our clubs with others, we believe our technology stands on its own and would rather not be compared to other companies."

Their response was:

"While we participated in one such event of comparing our clubs with others, we believe our technology stands on its own and would rather not be compared to other companies."

That response makes me think they are either too cheap to send clubs or thy are scared of results. Strange. I am misinterpreting?

We always offer to send the clubs back to every manufacturer, so I am not sure that would be an issue.

i dont know why they would be afraid to have them go up against other wedges? they seem like good wedges to me?

I think the answer is lack of control. Who knows who will be doing the test, or whether by intent or bad luck it's a bad day for their clubs. Then they have to live with it forever on the web. They must figure that risk is greater than the bad vibe some people take away from their refusal to participate + potential upside of a good showing. It's the "NGCC" response, basically ("No good can come"). None of this is to say I agree with this philosophy, but I guess that's where it comes from.

I have tried them RS, and they seemed quite good. But we cannot speak as to why companies do what they do. All we can say is that we think we have the best wedges in the world in this contest and the companies stand behind them enough to see how they do.

I agree with WSE. I think they assume the bad rather than the good that can come out of it.

I think the answer is lack of control. Who knows who will be doing the test, or whether by intent or bad luck it's a bad day for their clubs. Then they have to live with it forever on the web. They must figure that risk is greater than the bad vibe some people take away from their refusal to participate + potential upside of a good showing. It's the "NGCC" response, basically ("No good can come"). None of this is to say I agree with this philosophy, but I guess that's where it comes from.

I agree WSE. Plus, who knows how many requests they get for equipment to "review" from less-than-professional or fly-by-night bloggers, as opposed to entities that intend to conduct legitimate, professional testing and reviews. I suspect the longer THP is around, the more companies will not only agree to participate, but will initiate contact.

I do find it a little odd though that when it comes to equipment manufacturers, only ONE says no to everything. We work with just about every one of the major companies and yet one of them says no to everything and their excuse is "we do not like to see our equipment reviewed much outside of GD or Golf."

That is their choice.

One thing I want to add, is if you guys saw the requests we got you would be floored. Things like "You can review this stuff, but cannot publish it until we see it first". We get them from more than 3 of the companies and refuse to work with them on reviews.

One thing I want to add, is if you guys saw the requests we got you would be floored. Things like "You can review this stuff, but cannot publish it until we see it first". We get them from more than 3 of the companies and refuse to work with them on reviews.

name names!!!
hehe

ill post this question here instead:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

since so many wedges look almost identical, what is it that makes one stand out from the rest? the grooves? the metals? (arent a lot of them made with the same metals too?) and if its the grooves, why wouldnt all the manufacturers just drill them at the maximum depth, etc?

I think a lot of it is looks. Feel is different and so is weighting on almost all of them. It was surprising when we started hitting a few of these. Some companies do not use box grooves and rather U grooves because of ball shredding.

Lots of club designers have different philosophys on the wedge. Nickent has the foam in the back. Some Clevelands have the gel insert. Others have dual bounce.

so then really, there probably isnt any one wedge thats the best, correct? its just what is best for YOU (the buyer)?

Back