What Rangefinder is NUMBER 1

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
A lot of companies seem to be claiming that they are number one when it comes to range finders, so THP decided to dig around and see what we could come up with.

It seems after talking to two of the leading brands, it is clear which one is the number one used on tour. This came over from Bushnell and we agree with everything they say. As a site that says it wants to get away from the marketing hype of companies, and a site that is built by consumers for consumers, this one seems appropriate to post.

Bushnell has made quality laser rangefinders for golf for more than 14 years. Our commitment to excellence and innovation has resulted in us enjoying a leadership position in the market and a dominant position on all professional tours. Recently, some new competitors have attempted to create confusion by running ads claiming that their laser rangefinders are the most popular on the PGA Tour (see example below of a recent ad from Leupold). We wanted to set the record straight and prove who really has the #1 laser rangefinder on the PGA Tour as well as professional tours around the world.

We asked the Darrell Survey Company, the golf industry's recognized authority on golf equipment usage for 70 years, to conduct a study to determine the most widely used laser rangefinder on the PGA Tour. The survey was conducted at the Byron Nelson Championship on May 21-24 of 2009. As expected, the Darrell Survey showed the vast majority of tour players use a Bushnell rangefinder. Highlights from the survey include:

An overwhelming 87% of PGA Tour pros use a Bushnell laser rangefinder.

PGA Tour Pros use Bushnell laser rangefinders exclusively 5 times more than our nearest competitor.

We hope you won't let your readers be fooled by false leadership claims. The numbers don't lie, there is only one #1 laser rangefinder in professional golf... Bushnell.

It's the one I've had for more than 10 years. And replaced the battery exactly twice.

My Rangefinder of choice as well.....
I ho clubs left and right
I switch balls looking for the Holy Grail.
My beatup Pinseeker is still in the bag...and in the bag is where it will stay...

i've had a bushnell for about a year and a half now and its been amazing. and the yardages are truly about +/- .5

Sorry, no opinion here. I just wish I had one...don't have the $.

I've had my eye on the Bushnell Tour V2 for a while now, I just haven't been able to convince myself to part with the money for it. However, the first post made me wonder, how often and when do tour pros use a rangefinder? Is it mostly just during practice rounds for filling out a yardage book or do they frequently use it during tournament rounds (and I just don't notice it)?

Last edited:
I've had my eye on the Bushnell Tour V2 for a while now, I just haven't been able to convince myself to part with the money for it. However, the first post made me wonder, how often and when do tour pros use a rangefinder? Is it mostly just during practice rounds for filling out a yardage book or do they frequently use it during tournament rounds (and I just don't notice it)?

PGA Tour pros (and their caddies) use them only in practice rounds. They are not permitted in tournament rounds. However, they are allowed in other competitive tournaments (both pro and amateur) depending on local rules. I even saw them used in this year's NCAA finals and I know they were not permitted in 2008.

I've had the Pinseeker 1500 TE for almost 3 years now. Couldn't imagine playing without it.

I have a Bushnell that I've had for at least 10 years. I don't use it anymore since I bought my Upro.

hmmmmm ............. now i wish i had a rangefinder! :crying:

This was the response by Leupold as to why they claim they are #1.

Leupold's claim that its GX rangefinder is #1 on the PGA TOUR is based
on signed agreements with PGA TOUR caddies. Of the 200-225 caddies on
the tour, 149 of them to date have signed an agreement to use the GX for
all tour events. While some players may use a rangefinder during
practice rounds, giving distances is a major part of the caddies' job,
so Leupold has focused on the caddies.

So at the end of the day it seems that many caddies seem to use the Leupold based on signed agreements, but the impartial list in the Darrell Survey says that Bushnell is used the most by the PGA tour players without having signed agreements. All we wanted to do is find out the truth since we have two companies claiming to be number one on tour.

Here is what we think we found out. We have one company that is used by most of the tour players without signed agreements. And we have another company that is used by many of the caddies based on signed agreements. I think in the end, it comes down to marketing and at THP I have said we are about ripping through the marketing hype. This seems to do it.

Back