Cleveland 588 Wedges - Everything You Need To Know

That's a great gift, ary and it sounds like you both made some great shots with the 588's.

Ary, that sounds awesome. As far as the "hole-out club" with these, while I dont own these, I did hole out with SW's 50* when we played a round pre-MC. I love these wedges, just a classic design that is the epitome of a wedge.

Still in love with my 588s, well that is two thirds of them

I seem to do a good job with my 54 and 58, but my 50* has been really hit and miss.

And of course I seem to be really good at ending up at that magical 3 in which I gotta use that club.

The 50 was the club I used more than any at first, but now I use it the least. Weird how that works. I don't really pigeon hole myself, but the 58 seems to get the most work greenside.

The 50 was the club I used more than any at first, but now I use it the least. Weird how that works. I don't really pigeon hole myself, but the 58 seems to get the most work greenside.

Yeah around greens its 58* and putter all the time lol

I've kepy an eye out for a r9 gap wedge to see if I notice any difference but have yet to snag one

I'll keep the 50 mainly for the pitch shots, but it's usually a little too much club around the green. There are also a few fairway bunkers that I will use it out of from time to time. It comes in handy at least a couple times a round, but it used to be the go-to.

Ary that is awesome. That sounds like today, the wedges as a gift, and the entire trip with your dad will create memories that no one can take from you. Enjoy it and glad to hear the 588's are working great for both of you!!

anybody got these with the DG Spinners in them? Looking at a 58 degree lob wedge and thought the extra spin would be nice around the green

tnolan does. I've played both shafts and honestly haven't noticed a difference in spin. The DG's are about 10 grams heavier I think, but that's it. I wouldn't spend the money, but that's just me.

anybody got these with the DG Spinners in them? Looking at a 58 degree lob wedge and thought the extra spin would be nice around the green

I don't but war eagle might, I've heard he has spinners in just about everything

I don't think you'll much difference if any from the spinner to the TC shaft. Plus on a 58 you'll get height to help stop the ball via the trajectory.

I've spent a couple days now trying to think up another good 588 wedge post. I always like to make a sappy post or two about the gear I really enjoyed playing towards the end of the season, so here goes.

Unlike many people, I'd never hit a 588 wedge in the past. Truthfully, I hadn't even heard of them before last year. I guess that shows how new I still am to the game. Regardless of my ignorance, I was impressed to hear all the reminiscing.

I'd used a variety of wedges prior to these. xFT's, Mizuno, Nike, and a couple different ones from Cleveland. Over that time I found my tastes/needs changed a bit. I started out thinking that ultra low bounce was the only way I could get the club on the ball, but found that a little more bounce wasn't really a bad thing. I started wanting the flattest leading edge that I could find, but ended up having decent success with a rounder leading edge as well. I felt as comfortable as I ever had with the CG15's in the bag.

Then came the Morgan Cup. I knew what wedges I'd be playing, but had no clue that I'd be able to choose any custom option that Cleveland offered. I knew that I'd like the leading edge on the 588. While I did find decent success with a little rounder leading edge on the CG15, that preference never really went away. It's just a visual thing for me, especially with the little touch shots.

With all of the talk about grinds, my past experience with the CG15's, bounce debates, variable soles, etc, I still chose the stock sole. I did this because I figured the 588's became the most highly sought wedge for a reason, and I trusted it. Turns out that was a great decision. I can hit any shot with this wedge that is out there for the taking. This year I've played on lush fairways, sopping wet muddy fairways, tight lies, deep bermuda, deep/wet bentgrass rough, hard-pan, pine-straw, perfect sand, terrible sand, and waste bunkers to name a few examples. The 588's have performed in every single situation.

I've worked more on my wedge game this year than any other time. There were many days where I only took my three 588's out of the bag for a practice session. They have seen my skills improve quite a bit and have hung around the entire time. I learned how to make a pitch shot with reliable distance control. I finally can hit the ball out of the sand and even get myself somewhat near the hole. I can open the face and lob the ball when I want to and close the face a little to keep the ball running low on the ground. Between the improvements I've made in my wedges and my putting game, I feel like I can save my score on any hole. Doesn't always happen, but I always believe I can pull something off. I knew what course management was last year, but the 588's were the wedges in my bag when I finally learned how to make it work for me. Get me to 75 yards from the hole and I feel like I can get the ball in the hole in two strokes with these wedges.

The 588's are a huge reason I played with some semblance of decency in the Morgan Cup. I'm not a good full swinger. Getting better slowly, but it's not my strength. I am destined to be a scrambler and being better at it has made my scores better than my swing looks. At the MC I never felt like I was out of a hole if I had a chance to put a wedge in my hand and I think a few people I played with would say they agree with that. I have incredible confidence that the 588's will do exactly what I expect them to do, as long as I hold up my end of the bargain. With the right ball, I can stop a shot in its tracks from 75 yards. With the right swing I can send a 15 foot high shot under some overhanging trees and know that the ball will stop quick enough to give me a putt. I can throw the ball was up in the air when I've short-sided myself. I can pick either of the three wedges in my bag and hit the ball as far as I need to out of the sand.

If I had the money, I'd buy five more sets exactly like the ones I have in the bag, but I'm sure I'll move on sooner or later because that's what we do. I wonder if 10 years from now I'll be saying what so many people were saying last year. That I have fond memories of the 588 and wish they'd bring it back. If you read this, you might have gotten the impression that I love these wedges and you'd be right.

Reactions: JB
What an awesome post. I have said virtually the same things dozens of times and even gone as far as thinking about a backup set. One thing keeps me from doing so and that is that I grabbed a backup set of CG15s because I loved them and ended up giving them to my father (who loves them), because I absolutely fell in love with these wedges.

There is something about the setup that brings me back to when I used to work on my short game for hours years ago. The hosel shape and the overall head shape are just similar I guess. Then add the weighting and balance that I just love and the versatility that I have seen and I have something that just works for me.

Terrific post Hawk. Makes me want to go hit these right now.

I really can't think of a thing I'd change, but I know the way things work. Funny that you say what you did about remember practicing with them so much because I think that's one of the reasons I'm so happy with them. I just know what they are going to do and they've been along for probably the single biggest improvement in my game.

Absolutely amazing post, Hawk.

Hey Hawk, have you hit these side by side with SCORs? I love how it's a traditional "fixed bounce" wedge and you're talking about how you can pull off any shot with the 3 you have. That speaks volumes.

Yea, I've hit the SCOR's and I liked them a lot actually. I just haven't found a shot I couldn't hit with either. I think it's more a matter of technique and practice to be honest. Now, I couldn't flop a ball off of hardpan, but I don't think anybody is really doing that.

I have had my three clevelands in the bag for several years and have not found any reason to replace yet. Placed in my hands brings a lot of confidence when striking the ball. With hours of practice in back yard for distance control these wedges become deadly on the course. Plus when you want a shot to stop or roll out these perform great. Funny part now is my brother reaches into my bag to play my 588-56 over his TM Atv, says he likes the weight.

Very informative and helpful post. I am debating CG15s (still available on ebay) and have an old 588RS (recovery sole) sand wedge from several years ago. I may have to give the 588s a much closer look. Thanks!

I've spent a couple days now trying to think up another good 588 wedge post. I always like to make a sappy post or two about the gear I really enjoyed playing towards the end of the season, so here goes.

Unlike many people, I'd never hit a 588 wedge in the past. Truthfully, I hadn't even heard of them before last year. I guess that shows how new I still am to the game. Regardless of my ignorance, I was impressed to hear all the reminiscing.

I'd used a variety of wedges prior to these. xFT's, Mizuno, Nike, and a couple different ones from Cleveland. Over that time I found my tastes/needs changed a bit. I started out thinking that ultra low bounce was the only way I could get the club on the ball, but found that a little more bounce wasn't really a bad thing. I started wanting the flattest leading edge that I could find, but ended up having decent success with a rounder leading edge as well. I felt as comfortable as I ever had with the CG15's in the bag.

Then came the Morgan Cup. I knew what wedges I'd be playing, but had no clue that I'd be able to choose any custom option that Cleveland offered. I knew that I'd like the leading edge on the 588. While I did find decent success with a little rounder leading edge on the CG15, that preference never really went away. It's just a visual thing for me, especially with the little touch shots.

With all of the talk about grinds, my past experience with the CG15's, bounce debates, variable soles, etc, I still chose the stock sole. I did this because I figured the 588's became the most highly sought wedge for a reason, and I trusted it. Turns out that was a great decision. I can hit any shot with this wedge that is out there for the taking. This year I've played on lush fairways, sopping wet muddy fairways, tight lies, deep bermuda, deep/wet bentgrass rough, hard-pan, pine-straw, perfect sand, terrible sand, and waste bunkers to name a few examples. The 588's have performed in every single situation.

I've worked more on my wedge game this year than any other time. There were many days where I only took my three 588's out of the bag for a practice session. They have seen my skills improve quite a bit and have hung around the entire time. I learned how to make a pitch shot with reliable distance control. I finally can hit the ball out of the sand and even get myself somewhat near the hole. I can open the face and lob the ball when I want to and close the face a little to keep the ball running low on the ground. Between the improvements I've made in my wedges and my putting game, I feel like I can save my score on any hole. Doesn't always happen, but I always believe I can pull something off. I knew what course management was last year, but the 588's were the wedges in my bag when I finally learned how to make it work for me. Get me to 75 yards from the hole and I feel like I can get the ball in the hole in two strokes with these wedges.

The 588's are a huge reason I played with some semblance of decency in the Morgan Cup. I'm not a good full swinger. Getting better slowly, but it's not my strength. I am destined to be a scrambler and being better at it has made my scores better than my swing looks. At the MC I never felt like I was out of a hole if I had a chance to put a wedge in my hand and I think a few people I played with would say they agree with that. I have incredible confidence that the 588's will do exactly what I expect them to do, as long as I hold up my end of the bargain. With the right ball, I can stop a shot in its tracks from 75 yards. With the right swing I can send a 15 foot high shot under some overhanging trees and know that the ball will stop quick enough to give me a putt. I can throw the ball was up in the air when I've short-sided myself. I can pick either of the three wedges in my bag and hit the ball as far as I need to out of the sand.

If I had the money, I'd buy five more sets exactly like the ones I have in the bag, but I'm sure I'll move on sooner or later because that's what we do. I wonder if 10 years from now I'll be saying what so many people were saying last year. That I have fond memories of the 588 and wish they'd bring it back. If you read this, you might have gotten the impression that I love these wedges and you'd be right.

I've owned some of the CG's in the past - CG12, CG14, CG15 - but never a forged or specifically 588 wedge. I picked one up recently to add to this "little bag" I've out together of gear for fun.

My main bag is a full 14 clubs all PING. But my new little "second" set - is 9 clubs - a Cleveland Classic 290 driver, Mashie 2H, "gigagolf" blades 6-PW, a 588 Cleveland wedge and a odyssey putter my father gave me.

So back to the point - the 588 wedge is so different in feel to the wedges I have owned before. I liked the CG's okay, and the PING I have now are very nice, but to me there seems to be a totally different esthetic with the 588. It feels heavier, and I give it more serious intent when I hit it. Must be about the carbon steel construction. Only tried it a few times, but very impressed.

Funny how that works. I think the CG15's are both softer and heavier in the head than the 588's. I do have the CG15's shafted with spinners though.

My black wedges are pretty beat up at this point. I don't mind but I think I prefer rust to the worn down black.

Everyone who got RTG, please post pictures of the wedges and how your designs look along with the increasing rust. I will get some of these in the future, but I can't decide on a finish without real pictures.

Everyone who got RTG, please post pictures of the wedges and how your designs look along with the increasing rust. I will get some of these in the future, but I can't decide on a finish without real pictures.

This is arydolphin's wedge with RTG finish. Picture was taken in June, about 4 months after we got them.

aefc273e-c184-a450.jpg

Back