Wedge Setup and Why?

I'm giving serious thought to moving to a 53/59 set up at the 47 PW. I find I rarely use the gap wedges and I'm much more comfortable monkeying with the PW anyways. The 53 is enough for an approach wedge and those lovely running pitches. The 59 helps with the rough and the super tight fairways and either the 53 or 59 could be used for the little sand I see.

We'll see.

This sounds like a good plan. I currently have similar thoughts on moving to a 46-52-58 set-up.

went to golf galaxy and dicks tonight. There's not much love for lefty's in the wedge market, lol. They had a good number of 56 and 58 and 60s, but only 1 52 and that was a CG16. Nice wedge, i love the black finish but it just would not fit in with my bag. I'm on the fence with what to do. I might pull the trigger on a 52* xFT or i might just get an A wedge from another iron set. I can get an older model R7 A wedge (49*), R7 Draw (49*) or even an R9 (50*)

Nasdamus I like the wedges that match a set. seems i don't have to adjust so much for weight or shaft differences. I used to like a different SW and GW but with all the changes on the new clubs it seems to be more of a difference to me. So I would try to get the one that matches the set you have.

I now have a 60* thanks to Adam. I like it, makes it really easy to do flop shots.

The constants are a Cleveland 588 53° and a Cleveland 691 58°. I've got that pair in every bag.
The wildcard is the pitching wedge matching my irons.
Depending if I'm hitting my fitted Miuras or one of my "E-Bay special" sets, that can be from 45 to 49°, an entire club difference.
The Miura PW is 47°, right in the middle of the range.

If I could constantly pitch, chip, blast, and and lob to tap-ins, I suppose I'd worry about it more. But alas, I can't.

Last edited by a moderator:
2 years ago I switch to a 3 wedge set 50/56/60... for sure it was the right choice for me... never gone a round with needing all my wedges at some point or another.

My set up and normal carry yardages are as follows 47*(130yds), 52*(118yds), 56*(106yds), and 60*(90yds). As many have already said here, the lofts are stronger on many modern irons which leaves many golfers playing a 44-45* PW with a large distance gap to their next wedge.

I think with the lofts of current PWs most would be well served with 3 additional wedges; GW, SW, LW. This will provide approx 4-5* in between them and stil makes room for a hybrid

The other option would 2 add wedges from the pw which would be approx 6-7* apart. This would allow for more long clubs

What wedges is everyone using from a * standpoint

What wedges is everyone using from a * standpoint

man I struggled with that title for the thread. My question is, I have often wondered about my wedges and the degrees of loft that I have on them.

I have taylormade Tour Preferred MB irons. as far as I know the pitching wedge is 47*.

the wedges I have in the bag at the moment are 54*, 60* and 64*...

I rarely use the 64*, so it's probably going to be put on the shelf, but heres my dilemma...

i hit the PW about 150 yards.

the 54* goes 125-130 if I really pure it.

60* goes about 100-110.

I am wondering if dropping to a 52* would be enough of a drop to fill that25-30 yard gap from PW to the next wedge or If you guys think I should drop all the way to a 50*.. the taylormade atv wedges are the next stop and I think I finally keep my word to my wife about being done buying clubs....

I think at the moment I am leaning towards the 52* and 56*... maybe

Merged with a large thread on this subject.

47, 54, 58. Pondered staying with a 52 58 and keeping the 15yd gap between PW and 52, but it's been better around the greens with the 54 than it was with the 52. I'd rather have that option and deal with the gap (ie don't give myself that yardage)

I'm using a 54 and a 58. I'm also using my PW and GW from my Razr X set.

The PW in my Redline set is 44* so I got the 49* GW to go with it. On top of that I have a 54* and a 58*. Used to be a 56/60 guy, but no longer.

I have a 52 and 56 wedge but the other day Smalls made a good point about using all 14 clubs so I threw in my old 58 xFT for specific shots

I'm using a 54 and a 58. I'm also using my PW and GW from my Razr X set.

I have the same setup. I used to have a 56/60 combo, but I think the 54/58 is much more versatile. I found that I was only using the 60 for flop shots, and I can get basically the same action with the 58. Plus, I can hit some lower trajectory pitches and full approaches with the 58.

I've moved to a 48, 52, 56, 60 set up. I like the consistent gaps in my scoring clubs.

I have the same setup. I used to have a 56/60 combo, but I think the 54/58 is much more versatile. I found that I was only using the 60 for flop shots, and I can get basically the same action with the 58. Plus, I can hit some lower trajectory pitches and full approaches with the 58.

I am using the same setup with my Di11 PW/GW and TM ATV 54/58. Not sure if I am sticking with that or not. Still getting used to it

49 Niblick and a 57.

Why? Because I can throw darts with the Niblick from 120 in and I love it, plus all I need around the greens and sand is my SCOR 57. Its been nice so far.

Plus, it got the 3i and 4i back in the bag.

I'm currently gaming 50, 54, 58 but I've found that based on the loft on my PW it would make more sense to be gaming 52, 56, 60 which I will in my next wedge set up.

My PW is 44˚, and mostly a full swing club. I started out the year with 48, 52, 56 & 60˚ wedges above it. Was going under the idea that it would be nice to have a lot of full swing distances, and remove some of the variables. Dumped the 60˚ after spring as I decided it just wasn't worth the skulled shots I was seeing here and there, at the worst times of course. I think I could be good with it now, but I honestly don't really miss it. I don't hit flops often, but can pull them off with the 56 good enough. I think that since I dropped it, I've only missed it a few times. After dropping the 60˚ I was forced to learn how to regulate distance inside of 90 yards with partial swings. After getting comfortable with that, I decided to consolidate my 48 & 52˚ down to one 50˚ wedge. Still early going, but the results have been fairly positive. After talking on here with some folks, I decided that I want to try and be a little more creative with my wedge game. Still holding on to my old setup for the time being though. Just in case. :D

49 Niblick and a 57.

Why? Because I can throw darts with the Niblick from 120 in and I love it, plus all I need around the greens and sand is my SCOR 57. Its been nice so far.

Plus, it got the 3i and 4i back in the bag.

That's cool. I like that setup. I'm trying to go to a 50*, 58* setup sometime in the future. I just need to find a 50* that I'm comfortable with on both full swings and pitches.

That's cool. I like that setup. I'm trying to go to a 50*, 58* setup sometime in the future. I just need to find a 50* that I'm comfortable with on both full swings and pitches.

Honestly, when I tire of the Niblick again I'll likely add a 50 or 51 SCOR rather than my 49/53 I have.

But the Niblick is just so damn fun to use now that I've gotten used to it again....plus...I love the looks I get around here.

Honestly, when I tire of the Niblick again I'll likely add a 50 or 51 SCOR rather than my 49/53 I have.

But the Niblick is just so damn fun to use now that I've gotten used to it again....plus...I love the looks I get around here.

You like the SCORs on full swings? I was looking at them a bit.

I carry a 45PW and currently a 50 and 54. Getting 58 soon but I went to this set up because my previous wedges went 45PW to a 52 and like you I noticed a huge gap. Tried a 48 to fill the gap and didnt like it plus it left no room for a lob

Back