theslflash689

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 5.3
Alright, I'm installing new irons shafts and need new grips. I'm installing the Nippon Modus3, which all of you can look up, has a red label all the way down it. I have VR Pro Combo heads, and will install black ferrules with silver stripes. What grips should I get and what color??? I am currently playing white tour wrap 2g's. Here's what I'm looking at, feel free to add suggestions though:
- GP NDMC
- GP VDR
- GP Tour Wrap 2g
- GP BCT Cord
- GP Z Cord
- Lamkin 3g Rel
- Lamkin Crossline

Last edited:
I used the NDMC grip for a while and it's a great-but expensive grip. I currently have the VDR grips on my irons and I love how soft they feel, and they aren't too pricey-these grips are what I'd suggest

ok, edited to cancel out the expensive stuff, haha.

ok, edited to cancel out the expensive stuff, haha.

haha yeah grips for 8 irons get's pretty expensive after a while, what about the golf pride tour velvet, some pro shops have them for $4-5 installed

I'm installing them myself. I've never actually played real tour velvets, only the stock taylormade and nike ones, and they both sucked.

I think they wear out really fast sometimes, I saw that the black widow grips were on sale for $1 on golf smith it was pretty cheap for grips, just not sure if you'd like them since they're kind of like the tour velvets

Tapping away without siri

I like vdr lots of colours to choose from!! Iv got red on all my woods and wedges just ordered enought to regroup my irons!!!

I have the VDR's on my woods and the 3Gen's on my irons/wedges. I love both of these grips, so I'd recommend either one.

I hate the VDR. Feels like they twist easily, and they actually do. My buddy has them on his irons and they're not really aligned anymore. I'm sure a couple wraps of tape would help. I like harder grips and the VDR just doesn't feel tacky enough.

I think the Lamkin 3gen is the best on the remaining list. Good color options too.

Lamkin 3GEN RELs dude. Absolutely no question in my mind.

In red. I liked tour wraps as well (and they come in red too) but apparently they're unplayable with any kind of moisture.

In red. I liked tour wraps as well (and they come in red too) but apparently they're unplayable with any kind of moisture.

Agreed, the red RELs are beautiful with the white tips on them. You simply can't go wrong with it.

I like the NDMC's the best. The Lamkin crossline are a little to firm for my liking

Make sure you post some pics with your decision!

R.E.L. is pretty easy on the hands and very tacky. Lots of colors too.

VDR's are a little firmer, but also a nice grip. I've been very happy with them on my irons in many different conditions.

I've been pretty happy with the tour wraps, although they slip a little when my hands get sweaty. But I'm starting to think that's inevitable. I'm basically down to either the red or white tour wraps, the red lamkin rel or the red vdr. I was going to go new decade til I realized they were almost $10 a grip! When the vdr or r.e.l. Wears, do they become slick like tour velvets? I could live with tour wraps, just having to wipe them down later in the round.

NDMC's last a long time, but VDR's is where it's at. i have them on almost every club in my bag (NDMC's on the rest/excluding the putter obviously), and LOVE them.

NDMC's last a long time, but VDR's is where it's at. i have them on almost every club in my bag (NDMC's on the rest/excluding the putter obviously), and LOVE them.

I only have the NDMC on my Driver at the moment, everything else has the VDR in white, I love how soft they feel

I've been pretty happy with the tour wraps, although they slip a little when my hands get sweaty. But I'm starting to think that's inevitable. I'm basically down to either the red or white tour wraps, the red lamkin rel or the red vdr. I was going to go new decade til I realized they were almost $10 a grip! When the vdr or r.e.l. Wears, do they become slick like tour velvets? I could live with tour wraps, just having to wipe them down later in the round.

I can't really say since I seem to change grips every few months anyway. I haven't noticed that issue so far. I will say that the 3Gen Performance Plus wedge grips on my 588's have been extremely solid now for 8 months. I'll use that grip until they quit making it.

The two times i've regripped clubs i've went with Black Widows. They are inexpensive and the've held up well. Over the winter i bought two sets of BWs. I got them on eBay and they were marked blemished. I couldn't tell. I got 13 grips for $15.

The two times i've regripped clubs i've went with Black Widows. They are inexpensive and the've held up well. Over the winter i bought two sets of BWs. I got them on eBay and they were marked blemished. I couldn't tell. I got 13 grips for $15.

I think they were going for $1 each on golfsmith,

That may also be a good option

I wouldn't say the R.E.L's get slick, but I do wipe them down occaisionally, and when I do they feel like new. I've never had to wipe them during a round though, they keep their tack very well.

Hmmm. Well, I think I am just down to the vdr's and the tour wraps. The tour wraps are the safe route, minus the rare slickness I get. So unless the vdr's are better I think that's the route I'm going in. Anyone on the vdr?

Hmmm. Well, I think I am just down to the vdr's and the tour wraps. The tour wraps are the safe route, minus the rare slickness I get. So unless the vdr's are better I think that's the route I'm going in. Anyone on the vdr?

I love the VDR man, I had the tour wraps on my driver before and i hated that thing, it felt so awkward in my hand. but that's just my personal opinion.

I'll just say that I had a club with the 2G and didn't like it at all. It looks great, but got very slick when humid. I got the VDR specifically to combat humidity in Myrtle Beach and it worked exceptionally well. Not that I wouldn't play something else though. It's just what I have on there now.

Back