Big Break: Prince Edward Island [spoilers]

I still think Blair is probably the most well-spoken player I've ever seen on Big Break.

I still think Blair is probably the most well-spoken player I've ever seen on Big Break.

Which makes it all the more strange (to me) that she apparently has no shame at all (Grogger's picture is exhibit one). NTTAWWI!

Which makes it all the more strange (to me) that she apparently has no shame at all (Grogger's picture is exhibit one). NTTAWWI!

I gotta think it's because the money was good. I mean, how humiliating, right?

I gotta think it's because the money was good. I mean, how humiliating, right?

Exactly. However, I was really hoping you would enhance the point by posting exhibits two through ten.

Exactly. However, I was really hoping you would enhance the point by posting exhibits two through ten.

Oh, I think I only need one to make my case:

Spoiler
blaironeal_big_break.png

Sure gonna miss Gerina. Derek sure played better in the elimination than he did against Blair.

Wow, Blair was just money tonight.

Brenda wasn't money, but she was solid enough.

What was up with GC making Gerina and Derek start the elimination in the dark? They couldn't let Blair and Brenda sleep late and have Derek and Gerina compete first thing in the morning? I think Gerina was definitely suffering from fatigue if not downright illness. She was making mistakes (albeit minor) that she didn't make in the first episodes when she was well. A good night's sleep (or even just some rest) would have done her a world of good.

And what was up with Derek getting "pissed" with Blair's fistpump? Blair hit a good putt to up in the match.

He also called Gerina "baby" after he eliminated her. What's the deal with that?

Sure gonna miss Gerina. Derek sure played better in the elimination than he did against Blair.

Grrr! Why don't I use my head before I open threads!!!!! Oh well, at least my prediction is solid still. Now I'll go watch it.

Yes, he sure did! I think that 1 shot - the 105 yard pitch to the green turned his whole head around and golf is a head game isn't it?

I will miss Gerina - I really liked her. I sure hope she makes it in the LPGA - I think she can - Hey, Kristy McPherson's doing okay now.

I talked to Brenda tonight about that day - apparently they played the last hole many times before Gerina finally lost to her. I wondered why the sun was setting - we hadn't seen them play that late before.

I'm speaking with Derek and Brian in the AM and will try and connect with both Blair and Gerina later in the day.

So long, droopy drawers!

No, I liked Gerina. She's obviously very talented.

Spoiler
But seriously, someone has to teach her how to wear pants.

Gerina was a mumbler too. I am not sure why everyone is so surprised when Blair plays well, it has been the entire season. And to me there was NOTHING wrong with her 2 fist pumps that were shown. It was a little one against Derek, after a great birdie. The big one was after a gigantic putt against Aaron, I think there was more shock there then aything.

I agree about the second point. The outcry among the contestants, or Derek really, about her minimal little act of celebration was silly. But perhaps that impression is an editing issue as well -- perhaps Derek just meant that seeing his competition celebrate her putt that beat him inspired him not to let that happen again? Blair is a decent golfer, her round of 75 at the recent sectional qualifier in Rockville attests to that; but she doesn't have LPGA chops, as her other round of 85 at the sectional attests as well. Gerina, on the other hand, was in the top 20 on the DFT her rookie year, and she is the better golfer overall. Who can say what she would have done if (i) she wasn't suffering from consumption; and (ii) this were a real sports contest, rather than a sports drama show. When advancement depends upon one or two fluke shots or one or two good holes, then obviously the best players overall will not always be the ones to advance. Brenda may be a case in point.

Yea, I have been railing against the way they are slanting this whole competition to the short game. Gerina and Derek are the best golfers on the show but because of the way they are competing, neither may win. I agree it would get a bit boring if every show was just all the golfers playing 18 but it would determine the best golfer.

I hope there is a bit more real golf these last two episodes. If you put five 10 handicappers against Tiger on 20 ft bunker shots, he could very well lose. You have them play a few holes and there is no chance he loses.

Well Gerina definitely didn't win! That is a bummer.

Gerina was a mumbler too.
I thought she had some sort of nasal passage infection. I couldnt understand her.
So long, droopy drawers!

No, I liked Gerina. She's obviously very talented.

Spoiler
But seriously, someone has to teach her how to wear pants.
Haha, thats awesome.

Only two more shows left! No reason, but I predict Brenda to leave tonight. :confused2:

Brenda just didn't have it. Looks like it's advantage Derek. Blair hits it a long way but has trouble hitting greens. I am assuming they start the back nine even.

Brenda just didn't have it. Looks like it's advantage Derek. Blair hits it a long way but has trouble hitting greens. I am assuming they start the back nine even.

Yes, but Blair can putt!!! In the last 3 shows, she's hit some beauties - just ask Aaron ;)

I spoke to both Brenda and Derek tonight and it was interesting how each saw the day. Derek was as cool and calm as he could be - I guess he loved the fact that he was finally playing real golf. And it was tell what Brenda said, "Giggle golf is over!". We all know she loves to chat and with Blair so quiet (cardboard?), it was probably tough for Brenda to not have another GF to talk to.

Next week, I think they might be able to turn the mics off Derek and Blair whiel they play - as Derek said, he doesn't see them chatting up the latest football scores or who won the stanley cup as they walk down the fairways :)

Now that Brenda is gone where will the show get its sound bites from. She was my favorite on the show. I liked her and the accent and she was a pretty good golfer too.

Not real happy with what we saw from Brenda tonight.

First, I really hope when she was talking about chatting with Blair, that she said:
"I'm going to talk with [Derek] because [Blair's] about as interested as that piece of cardboard"
and NOT
". . . because [Blair's] about as interesting as that piece of cardboard."

Also, what was up with criticizing Blair for marking and lining up her ball on the 6 inch putt??? C'mon Brenda, you're the one who criticized Aaron when he didn't mark his ball (and then missed) on a short putt! Blair was right, it was too important.

Then there was the comment about falling asleep in the woods because Blair takes so long to hit every shot. Then shortly thereafter, Brenda says (about Blair's shot) "Just hurry up and go. Your chances of getting it on the green right now are sweet fanny nothing."
I'm not sure if it's true or not that Blair is a slow player (although I find it odd that, if it is true, we've never heard about it before); and I know that Brenda was frustrated with her play . . . but damn girl, take the high road. There was no call for those comments - especially sitting in the interview room after it was all over.

I'm not one to generally believe stereotypes, but I'm beginning to understand Juli Inkster's comment a couple of years ago (on LPGA players complaining about caddies on the practice putting greens, and the resulting ban) that:
"You know what? It's women," she said when asked for a comment. "If you just put that down, everyone will know what you mean. Just capitalize 'women' and you don't need to explain anything else."
Seriously, are women really just that catty to each other? And if so, why? And do men act that way?

Not a big fan of Blair's BeDazzler'd "Faith" trucker hats.

I'm rooting for Blair. I think she has the most upside potential and might be able to do something on the LPGA. Especially wit $100k at her disposal for practice, training, and Q-School prep. In contrast, I don't see Derek on the PGA Tour.

Back