Forum Testing Signup - Miyazaki B. Asha Shafts

I like the stiffness and how the ball really doesnt get away on miss hits. the ball flights I have seen are just frozen.
The Miyazaki shafts are very interesting in their X offerings... Perfect example is the Kusala I am playing vs the B.Asha I selected to test. 7785 vs 5689. I'm going to tell you first hand, the added tip stiffness makes a HUGE difference in flight.

Can't wait to measure the B.asha with it side by side.

I like the stiffness and how the ball really doesnt get away on miss hits. the ball flights I have seen are just frozen.

Absolutely agreed. I was surprised how little I was punished by hits out on the toe especially.

Thanks for the specs Canadan! I really like the 4 and could see myself maybe trying an X even though I've never played one before.

I agree, I went with the 4x for testing because I like the look of the flex code compared to what I had hit previously. Check out my testing posts when I get this started, I'll let you know what I think!

The Miyazaki shafts are very interesting in their X offerings... Perfect example is the Kusala I am playing vs the B.Asha I selected to test. 7785 vs 5689. I'm going to tell you first hand, the added tip stiffness makes a HUGE difference in flight.

Can't wait to measure the B.asha with it side by side.

I really like the International Flex Code Miyazaki uses. Usually I wouldn't consider an X but I think I could handle the 4X and could give me the ball flight I'm looking for.

I agree, I went with the 4x for testing because I like the look of the flex code compared to what I had hit previously. Check out my testing posts when I get this started, I'll let you know what I think!

Do you usually play stiff shafts in your driver Dam?

I really like the International Flex Code Miyazaki uses. Usually I wouldn't consider an X but I think I could handle the 4X and could give me the ball flight I'm looking for.

Stan, general question. What would make you want to go with something more stiff than you usually play? Do you think weight and flex coincide? Or are you looking to bring ball flight down by a large amount? What is the reason?

Do you usually play stiff shafts in your driver Dam?

Yes, what I've played in the past is a stiff, but some of the stiff shafts I have played have been a bit weaker than I'd like. I've contemplated going to an X before, but never have until now.

Stan, general question. What would make you want to go with something more stiff than you usually play? Do you think weight and flex coincide? Or are you looking to bring ball flight down by a large amount? What is the reason?

I was thinking that and it's something I'm very curious to see from the testers. I was wondering at 52/53 grams if maybe a stronger flex would be better. I want a lighter weight shaft in the 4 series weight range and I was curious if going down in weight would require a stiffer flex.

I was thinking that and it's something I'm very curious to see from the testers. I was wondering at 52/53 grams if maybe a stronger flex would be better. I want a lighter weight shaft in the 4 series weight range and I was curious if going down in weight would require a stiffer flex.

I think you will find with high end shafts, that weight plays no role in flex. The stiff is stout in the B. Asha line and the X is VERY stout.

I think you will find with high end shafts, that weight plays no role in flex. The stiff is stout in the B. Asha line and the X is VERY stout.

Yah I never thought I would find something more stout than my black tie with any kind of feel but this thing just blew that theory out of the water. Amazing feel and a beast.

Thanks JB. I'm new to tour quality shafts in drivers. I've always played "made for" shafts where a lot of times there is a correlation between weight and how the flex plays. I'm probably just over thinking things right now. The 4S has been the one from the beginning that has had me most interested. I'll have to find a THP event or authorized dealer to give these a swing but the 4S will probably be the right one. Sometimes I look at numbers and start over thinking...

Thanks JB. I'm new to tour quality shafts in drivers. I've always played "made for" shafts where a lot of times there is a correlation between weight and how the flex plays. I'm probably just over thinking things right now. The 4S has been the one from the beginning that has had me most interested. I'll have to find a THP event or authorized dealer to give these a swing but the 4S will probably be the right one. Sometimes I look at numbers and start over thinking...

We all do buddy. I can tell you the Ultimate Weekend of Golf in May will have these out there, as well as our launch monitor for people to get real numbers on the range.

I'm very excited to see what this group of testers has to say. I think there will be some great long term conversation around this shafts. I know everyone is going to put these through its paces. I have a request. I'd like to see some monitor numbers from each tester, if possible.

Yes sir!! I have a PGA Superstore available to me and I paid $99 for unlimited use in their practice bays. Each bay is equipped with computer readouts for different categories. I think this will be a tremendous tool for this testing.

I am surprised to hear so many people talking about how they are interested in the X flex. In previous launch monitor testing I've done on my own my driver swing speed I was between 105-112mph on a consistent basis. I thought that was on the faster side but have never considered using a X stiff shaft. Is this swing speed mostly on the normal or average side?

Yes sir!! I have a PGA Superstore available to me and I paid $99 for unlimited use in their practice bays. Each bay is equipped with computer readouts for different categories. I think this will be a tremendous tool for this testing.

I am surprised to hear so many people talking about how they are interested in the X flex. In previous launch monitor testing I've done on my own my driver swing speed I was between 105-112mph on a consistent basis. I thought that was on the faster side but have never considered using a X stiff shaft. Is this swing speed mostly on the normal or average side?

No. Its quite fast.

Internet or real? 112 is above average unless you're on the internet.

No. Its quite fast.

I've tried X shafts before and just seem to have issues getting the ball airborne. A lot of that is due to my swing path with the driver. I don't hit up on the ball like many do, and tend to close the face on contact. Now watching JRod hit I totally understand how and why the X is for him. Just was curious why others think the X would be to their liking?

I've tried X shafts before and just seem to have issues getting the ball airborne. A lot of that is due to my swing path with the driver. I don't hit up on the ball like many do, and tend to close the face on contact. Now watching JRod hit I totally understand how and why the X is for him. Just was curious why others think the X would be to their liking?

I'd ignore my thoughts on hitting an X haha. I think I just look at numbers and see similar numbers between the 4X and 5S. But Miyazaki knows what they're doing. I've never hit and X or thought about it, I just get caught up in the numbers sometimes.

I'd ignore my thoughts on hitting an X haha. I think I just look at numbers and see similar numbers between the 4X and 5S. But Miyazaki knows what they're doing. I've never hit and X or thought about it, I just get caught up in the numbers sometimes.

These things are stout dude. I average about 123 ish with the driver and was having a hard time deciding between the 7s or 5x.

According to Tim Gillis (from Miyazaki and a true shaft expert), one of the things they do working with tour players is find the weakest flex that the swing will hold up to. Now there is more to fitting than that, and he addressed this on one of the THP Radio shows with THP that can be found on the home page, but he talks about it in detail.

During the same show he also discussed feel and an interesting test. He said if you give someone a driver and the shaft is too weak, they will tell you "the shaft is too weak". Give them a driver with a shaft too stout and they will say "They don't like the feel". Its funny how it works like that.

These things are stout dude. I average about 123 ish with the driver and was having a hard time deciding between the 7s or 5x.

Oh man!! I knew you were big time, but that is fantastic!

I average about 109-110... I may have added a few MPHs since ATL because the B.Asha let me swing so aggressively without fear of losing the ball right or left.

I love that the 5x can weather both of our storms. Very, very cool.

I average about 109-110... I may have added a few MPHs since ATL because the B.Asha let me swing so aggressively without fear of losing the ball right or left.

Now if i could only translate that into distance like Rory or Colsaerts I'd be golden.

According to Tim Gillis (from Miyazaki and a true shaft expert), one of the things they do working with tour players is find the weakest flex that the swing will hold up to. Now there is more to fitting than that, and he addressed this on one of the THP Radio shows with THP that can be found on the home page, but he talks about it in detail.

During the same show he also discussed feel and an interesting test. He said if you give someone a driver and the shaft is too weak, they will tell you "the shaft is too weak". Give them a driver with a shaft too stout and they will say "They don't like the feel". Its funny how it works like that.

I'll have to go back and listen to the show again. I listened to it when it first came out and Tim had so much information that I think I may have missed some of it. I learned so much from that one show I was only able to retain so much of it, that Tim really knows his stuff. :D

I'll have to go back and listen to the show again. I listened to it when it first came out and Tim had so much information that I think I may have missed some of it. I learned so much from that one show I was only able to retain so much of it, that Tim really knows his stuff. :D

He sure does. Been working in the shaft industry for a LONG time. There are quite a few interviews with him on the home page and i think its worth listening to all of them.

Have you had an experience with an X-flex over an extended amount of time? If you are a stiff player your while career to jump to X in a testing....I hope it works out for you Damaikis
Yes, what I've played in the past is a stiff, but some of the stiff shafts I have played have been a bit weaker than I'd like. I've contemplated going to an X before, but never have until now.

That is awesome that the same shaft can work for two SS that differ by 10-12 MPH. I swing about 109, at least that was the average last I was on a monitor. I'm really excited to try such a light shaft.

Back