What club do you use to punch out under trees ?

I practice this shot with my 5 iron so 90% of the time that's what I go with. I might try something crazy if need be.

Drops- based on what you said iwould club up two clubs, play back in the stance and kept my hands low on the follow through. You have to make sure those hands are way out in front of the club head and choke down halfway on the grip. A half swing should give you a low 100 yard shot. This is assuming you were hitting a SW from 100.

Given a clear path to the green, I'll grab my 7I. If the obstruction is too low for that, the 3I get's the call.

8i, and I pretty much do what Tadashi described for a nice 100yd punch.

I carry a 3 iron for just such a situation. But again, it all depends on how low the limb is. I can play any club back in my stance to knock it down. Being creative is one of the most enjoyable parts of the game!

:drinks:

I usually use my rescue, why? because I can choke down and get different distances

Depends on what I have to carry to get it there...can I run it up?

If I need to keep it really low I can hit a punch with a 4H, but for the shot you are describing a 7 or 8 iron,.

Typically, I go for the 4 hybrid or 5 iron, sometimes a 7iron. Choke down and accelerate through.

I'm trying to apply some science here and not go by "feel" or "touch." How does one decide which club to hit a punch shot?

For example:

You've got a low hanging tree branch that you must fly the ball under and you're 100 yds from the green.

Do you club up one, two or three clubs to make the 100 yds and take your normal low to low swing?

Or, do you decide which lofted club would create the height desired and alter your stroke length to equal 100 yds?

I always fit the club to the height and then try and match the swing, it usually ends up more of a chip type motion.

I try 7I and usually hit it too high and smack said branch lol

Club to height first. I simply can't keep the Mashie low, for some reason, so I can't say hybrid.
Long runner, 3/4i. Need to fade and get +100y, 3w. Need to hook, I consider other options. I can sometimes get away with 6/7i, but usually pop them up just a touch too much.

The 3w back in stance, short backswing and sawed off low finish has done me well.

For me it depends on how long I need to keep the ball down, what I need to carry, green/fairway there is to work with and shot shape(draw/hook fade/slice). I've used just about everything in my bag but driver, putter, AW&SW to try and make the shot I imagined in my head. I think there are way too many variables on this shot to limit yourself to using only one or two clubs for this type of shot.

If the branches are chest high to waist high, an 8iron - back in my stance & hooded- is a perfect 100 yd runner. I have had plenty of practice with this shot! I have hit higher irons if I needed more distance or lower height. I learned by sheer guesswork. After I found myself in the same spot on the same course about 5 times I had it down!

Based upon the responses it seems fair to say the limiting factor is how low the shot needs to be, then try to go up two clubs if the height allows.

Again, I know how to hit a punch shot, I'm just trying to develop a guide on club selection. If I know which club I would normally hit X yards, and if I make the same punch shot abbreviated swing, the ball should go X yards if I go up two clubs. Of course this assumes a level clear fairway without any hook or fade needed.

some good stuff in here. i SUCK at punch shots. i usually either hit them short and get caught up in the rough or they roll and go all the way across the green when i'm not just punching out into the fairway. i think i'll work on this over the winter. i know it could usually save me a stroke or 2 a round sometimes.

If I can't hit over it, I usually hit driver and swing according to the distance. I can't keep anything else low enough most of the time. I suck at keeping it low.

A driver??? It's pretty easy, just practice it.

"play back in the stance and kept my hands low on the follow through. You have to make sure those hands are way out in front of the club head and choke down halfway on the grip"

I actually like my 5 or 6 iron. Ball back in stance hold off release. Point and shoot

I move the ball forward in my stance and hit 4iron. Little to no follow through. I believe I saw this in Golf magazine a few years back. Has worked for me every time. Even showed my father and a friend of mine I usually play with and they have had success also.

Tap Tap Taparoo

Hooded 8 iron with ball back in my stance. I a feel player...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

If I look back in this thread does Mike Dean say putter?

usually i'm looking at going under very low hanging pines. those are tough trees to punch under. so normally, i'll pull out the 5-iron (my lowest lofted iron) and take a very aggressive putting motion, just getting it high enough off the ground to create some momentum.
but executing the distance is the toughest thing to do and judging how much grass it might catch as well. but having this shot in the bag is very helpful.

5 iron would be my club of choice. I keep my feet close together makes me use my hands more

5 iron is my first choice, but it varies on the circumstances around the shot. I'll use a hybrid occasionally.

I try not to alter my stroke if I can help it, but sometimes you have to.

I've used everything from a 3w to a wedge depending on how far I need to go and how low I need to keep the ball. It's a shot I can take often, so I practice it quite a bit at the range. I can tell you a punch 7 iron will usually give me 100 yards with my normal swing, 3h will give me 130-ish yards, 3 wood will give me 165-ish yards. I can make those shorter or longer if I have to, but it's just easier to grab another club if I can keep the ball low enough with it.

Back