2009 U.S. Open at Bethpage Black [spoilers]

I am just glad that NBC has full coverage today and I am not stuck watching the ESPN stuff.

I am just glad that NBC has full coverage today and I am not stuck watching the ESPN stuff.

ESPN had to have some of the worst camera work I have ever seen. Usually its just the directors fault, but the camera men were missing ball flights completely.

Jane Crafter is fine. I don't understand why they felt the need to bring a non-golf announcer (Nix) in. Three announcers for a single group is way too much. Nix sounds more like a weather girl than a sports announcer, much less a golf announcer.

ESPN had to have some of the worst camera work I have ever seen. Usually its just the directors fault, but the camera men were missing ball flights completely.

They're used to just keeping the camera on Erin Andrews.

Spoiler
NTTIAWWT
Spoiler
erin-andrews2.jpg
ErinAndrews.jpg

The rain is getting ready to come down real hard it looks like.

(a) Why do the announcers still seem so uncomfortable when discussing hybrids? They act like they are some bizarre club without a recognized name (e.g., "Padraig looks like he's using one of those utility type clubs.") Guys, they are very common and we decided on a name about 4 years ago - "Hybrid." Learn it, know it, use it.

(b) I'm tired of everyone making excuses for the unruly fans. Just because it's NY doesn't mean they aren't arse-holes. They are. The "Manny being Manny" excuse doesn't fly with me. So shut up and behave yourself you morons.

(c) Padraig can't buy a fairway. His short game has been brilliant, but every single tee shot has been in the junk.

EDIT: Is it just me, or does Stevie Williams look remarkably like a cartoon beaver?

williams_steve.jpg

carpenter_cartoon.jpg

Agree with all of your points. Johnny Miller will NOT call them hybrids for anything.

Why is it that this year the announcers have been wrong about the break of the putts it seems like about half the time. They keep saying its because of foot prints, but then why would that not be the case every other tourny that rain is involved in.

Not sure I can figure out for the life of me why they do not keep this tourny in certain areas that do not get a lot of rain this time of year.

Hopefully someone can answer this for me that knows more about course management. Why in the world can they not just tarp the greens and certain areas of the fairways when the horn hits and remove it when it stops to reduce damage?

Okay, I'm behind on the coverage. Can someone explain what is going on? From the scoreboard, it looks like everyone has finished the second round, but there is no action and no rain delay. Are they resetting the pins and organizing the pairings right now? If so, do they have a projected time for the restart?

You guessed right Harry. 5:30pm they restart.

Thanks.

Haven't made it to this yet (if they show it), but I thought this was interesting:
http://www.usopen.com/en_US/news/rulings/2009-06-20/200906201245510607921.html

RULES CORNER

Ian Poulter Selects A 3-Wood

By Wendy Uzelac, USGA

The Rules of Golf limit a player to a selection of 14 clubs for their stipulated round. This morning, Ian Poulter accidentally broke his 3-wood on the practice range prior to his stipulated round. He began the round with only 13 clubs. Rule 4-4a specifically covers “Selection and Addition of Clubs” and it says that Poulter may add a club during his round provided he does not exceed 14 clubs. Here is what it has to say:
a. Selection and Addition of Clubs
The player must not start a stipulated round with more than 14 clubs. He is limited to the clubs thus selected for that round, except that if he started with fewer than 14 clubs, he may add any number, provided his total number does not exceed 14.

The addition of a club or clubs must not unduly delay play (Rule 6-7) and the player must not add or borrow any club selected for play by any other person playing on the course.

Ian had someone get him two other 3-woods that were in his locker to see which one he would select for play. They were brought out to him on the course and he took a look at each club. Poulter is only allowed to add one more club to the 13 he already selected for play. Now that he had two 3-woods brought to him he would only be able to select one of them. Decision 4-4a/1 clarifies when a club has been selected for play:
4-4a/1 When Club Is Considered Added

Q. A player finds on the first green that he has no putter and is carrying only 13 clubs. He continues play but sends his caddie back to the clubhouse. The caddie fetches one of two putters which he finds and gives it to the player. May the player then tell the caddie to take it back and fetch the other one instead?

A. Yes, provided he did not play a stroke with any club when the first putter was in his possession.

Therefore, Poulter was allowed to hold, touch and look at both clubs until he played a stroke with ANY club.
Then there is this tweet from Poulter:

twitter_pic_normal.jpg
Ianjamespoulter Just went to the range with 6 new 3 woods. I have found a new replacement for my old 1. It's awesome, 13 degree cobra. Happy days, phew
22 minutes ago from TwitterFon

Yeah it happened early on in the coverage today.

Yeah it happened early on in the coverage today.

Oh, that explains it. DirecTV adjusted their on-screen guide to reflect the new NBC coverage and it deleted my recording settings. I lost another 3 hours of network coverage.

They only said about 10 seconds about it and that was it. Nothing came up again about it.

The way it's coming down right now, it will be interesting to see how much--if any--of the third round gets played.

Agreed Claire. I just saw the satellite and I am not sure why they do not just call it for the day rather than sending everyone out there. But I guess what they are saying is that tomorrow could be even worse.

If I win the lottery, I'm going to fund R&D for an orbiting satellite with a laser that does this to people who scream idiotic stuff at golf tournaments for attention:

Spoiler
Neo-mouth.jpg

I am glad they kept playing, it was not really that bad and not lightening. Just a little british/irish weather.

It's going to get dark early because of it. Nine holes for the early groups if they're lucky.

Nothing wrong with that though...maybe it will give the guys who got screwed by the early wave a slight advantage.

Did I miss a fashion memo about wearing no-show socks with long pants?

Speaking of fashion, the new JL stuff being worn by Villegas is just awful. The red with the black splatter pain was terrible.

V569975999_C4315_1.jpg

They're used to just keeping the camera on Erin Andrews.

Spoiler
NTTIAWWT
Spoiler
erin-andrews2.jpg
ErinAndrews.jpg

WOW...I have always been in love with Rachel Nicholls from ESPN, just beautiful eyes and smile plus a sports wiz...it does not get much better.

Back