Getting More Women into the Game

I also think the article made a good point on how to market to more women. Fitness has been a big thing for women in recent years. You burn between 300-400 calories an hour carrying your clubs and betweent 200-250 an hour using a cart. A typical 18 holes can burn between 1300-800 calories! (so enough to cover the 19th hole) I do think that could be a draw for women.

Right, blame the "older man"...LOL :laugh: You'd never have that problem with me. With a wife, 2 daughters, and 4 grand daughters, I have enough problems with women to give one advice on a driving range. :cool:

That drives me crazy!!!! Every time I am out there some older man wants to come over and say "have you tried doing it this way?" I can't stand that. Unless I ask for help please don't give it.

Don't take it personally pro-v. EVERYONE is older than GG!

LOL!

I admit, I did try to help out an older lady a few weeks back at the range. Her friend was trying to help her with her driver swing. I watched for a while and she had a backswing that came around behind her head past parallel to the ground and went through about 5 different planes on the decent - no control at all. Offered up the advice of shortening the backswing to keep the club in control and she started actually hitting the ball, and in the air even. But in general I try to leave other golfers alone unless they are asking for opinions.

Strangers want to give unwanted advice to everybody, not just the ladies. It is terrible.

Boy do I hate advice guy. He always ruins the round.

Right, blame the "older man"...LOL :laugh: You'd never have that problem with me. With a wife, 2 daughters, and 4 grand daughters, I have enough problems with women to give one advice on a driving range. :cool:

I'm sorry provisional I didn't mean it like that. It just seems at my course the only people who come up and try to offer help are in their 60s and 70s. I think I do need to start bringing my ipod that is a great idea.

No problem, and I know there was no malice intended on your part. I was just having some fun with your post. Of course you are right. A single female golfer on the driving range will sometimes get unwanted help with their swing. A few weeks ago, there was a young lady behind me hitting balls. A guy came up to her to offer some advice. She politely refused him. She explained that before she walked out on the range, she hand noticed his swing, and she felt he could not help her. She then proceeded to knock down the 100 yard marker with a wedge, while he stood there with egg on his face. I laughed, and told her I thought she handled the situation quite well, and we both went on about our own business. :cool:

I'm sorry provisional I didn't mean it like that. It just seems at my course the only people who come up and try to offer help are in their 60s and 70s. I think I do need to start bringing my ipod that is a great idea.

. She explained that before she walked out on the range, she hand noticed his swing, and she felt he could not help her. :cool:

FANTASTIC!!!!!

The other thing about the range is that not every shot is going to be perfect. I sometimes experiment with stuff. Like I try to make shots go left or right and those go all wrong (like way left instead of drawing). If someone is watching me that probably think I am nuts! Or I play with where the ball is in my stance and how that affect the trajectory and how far it goes.

Most of these experiments help me learn, but look ugly.

Oh, and lots of the shot I try to hit straight also go wack...

Interesting statistics from the National Golf Foundation:

(source: NGF/Golf 20/20 Segmentation Study in 2001. The 2001 study is the most complete information available about women golfers. It is unlikely that the numbers are changing rapidly. New studies are expected form the NGF in 2005, and this website will be revised accordingly.) (above website data updated as of 4/2005)

•About 6% of the total number of women 18 and older (110 million) in the U.S. are golfers. The potential market is huge.
•An additional 2 million women use alternative facilities such as par-3 courses and practice ranges.
•About half of ALL women golfers play less than six rounds per year.
•The average number of rounds per year by women golfers is about 18. Avid women players who play 60 rounds/year skew the average to the high end.
•52% of former women golfers quit because they didn’t have time.
•38% of former women golfers quit because of family obligations.
•25% of former women golfers had trouble finding someone to play with.
•47% of women golfers were introduced to golf by a family member (compared to 22% for men).
•23% of women golfers were introduced to golf by a friend (compared to 31% for men).
•The average score of women golfers is 108, compared to 96 for men.
• 35% of Occasional women golfers score over 120.
• 19% of Core women golfers score over 120.
• 9% of Avid women golfers score over 120.
•56% of women golfers work full-time.
• 16% of women golfers work part-time.
• 28% of women golfers have kids at home.
•Women golfers come to golf older than men and stay longer.
• The average age of women golfers is 45. (The average age of men is 44.)
• The median age of OCCASIONAL women golfers is 40
• The median age of CORE women golfers is 47
•The median age of AVID women golfers is 56.
• 37% of women golfers are fifty or older, compared to 32% for men.
•In July 2003, over 15,000 girls participated in the fourth annual NGCOA Take Your Daughter to the Course Week. In 2004, participation was significantly higher!
• In 2002, 36% (37,000 girls and young women) of the total 103,000 participants in The First Tee programs were female. In The First Tee Northeast Region, 47% were female.

My home course needs somebody to work the beverage cart.... :rotfl:

In all seriousness, I see plenty of women at the driving range that I go to. There is one girl who is there pretty regularly, early twenties, who can hit the ball better than most men. In my area in general, though, female participation is mostly middle aged women who can hardly hit a ball. This is one of the reasons that it pained me to turn down a job as a JV coach at a local private school this year. As the father of a daughter, I really would like to see there be more of an emphasis and more offerings for girls. In my area, though, participation isn't that great to begin with regardless of gender.

Soxy,
Those numbers have changed quite a bit in this decade though.

Soxy,
Those numbers have changed quite a bit in this decade though.

Yeah, they were last updated in 2005.

At my old course, the local college ladies golf team used to play and practice and there were a few (I was going to say older but I am sure they thought we were all older) guys that tried to give them advice. It was kind of funny to see a 20+ handicap trying to swing advice to a college golfer. I, on the other hand, did ask a couple of them what the heck I was doing and they helped.

I was in Eugene Oregon at a store called "Fiddler's Green". I wanted to buy a new driver. The salesman was not very knowledgeable, but that was alright since I knew what I wanted. While at their driving range there was a young lady trying out some drivers. Even her poor shots made us "guys" look pathetic. Apparently she played golf for U. of O. I remember the sales person telling me that the driver I was trying out would soon have me hitting shots just like the young lady next to us. Yeah right I am thinking. No one was bothering her with tips, or other swing advice. When I finished, and had selected the driver I wanted. I asked the young lady what her best score was. She told me a 63. I told her it showed :cool:

At my old course, the local college ladies golf team used to play and practice and there were a few (I was going to say older but I am sure they thought we were all older) guys that tried to give them advice. It was kind of funny to see a 20+ handicap trying to swing advice to a college golfer. I, on the other hand, did ask a couple of them what the heck I was doing and they helped.

Just a completely random thought - what is the virtue of having more women in the game? Or more tall people, or more lefty's? I suppose you could point to one if it were a group - say, inner city youth, for example - that have little if any opportunity to be exposed to it. But I've often wondered what the abstract virtue is in encouraging group A to be interested in activity B.

Just something out of left field that entered my mind.

Not all salespeople in golf stores are helpful to women. I was looking for a new putter last year and as I tried different ones out, the salesman asked me who I wanted to buy the putter for. Ok - my form isn't great, but it's not that bad. I took my business elsewhere and haven't gone back to that store again.

Not all salespeople in golf stores are helpful to women. I was looking for a new putter last year and as I tried different ones out, the salesman asked me who I wanted to buy the putter for. Ok - my form isn't great, but it's not that bad. I took my business elsewhere and haven't gone back to that store again.

Well that's a bit different; no retail establishment should ever make assumptions about potential customers. I know people that wear Old Navy jeans and could walk into a BMW dealership and clean the place out in cash. I was more thinking just in terms of playing the game. For example what I said about inner city youth. My guess would be they have no opportunity whatsoever to be exposed to the game, so obviously finding ways to encourage them to at least give it a try gives them an opportunity they might not otherwise have.

Maybe I'm completely off the mark and women don't have much exposure to the game. I'm just thinking aloud as I am wont to do, fully aware I'm probably going to get hammered for this. :angel:

Just a completely random thought - what is the virtue of having more women in the game? Or more tall people, or more lefty's? I suppose you could point to one if it were a group - say, inner city youth, for example - that have little if any opportunity to be exposed to it. But I've often wondered what the abstract virtue is in encouraging group A to be interested in activity B.

Just something out of left field that entered my mind.

Because it is a wonderful sport that many do not get involved in because of so many factors.
Ego
Embarrassment
Men in General
Etc

However there is such an opportunity for family values in golf. It is a great equalizer and one of the few things that families or couples can do together sport wise and really have a different kind of bond. The bond that we all share about this great game has been lost in some ways by women. For some it is intimidation, for others, it is education. Either way, they should be involved more, because they bring passion to the game that very few men can achieve.

Seeing my wife play well and the smile on her face during golf is different than her everyday smile. It is more. It is accomplishment of our bond together.

...Seeing my wife play well and the smile on her face during golf is different than her everyday smile. It is more. It is accomplishment of our bond together.

I feel the same way when my wife is playing well. It puts a big smile on my face.

Because it is a wonderful sport that many do not get involved in because of so many factors.
Ego
Embarrassment
Men in General
Etc

However there is such an opportunity for family values in golf. It is a great equalizer and one of the few things that families or couples can do together sport wise and really have a different kind of bond. The bond that we all share about this great game has been lost in some ways by women. For some it is intimidation, for others, it is education. Either way, they should be involved more, because they bring passion to the game that very few men can achieve.

Seeing my wife play well and the smile on her face during golf is different than her everyday smile. It is more. It is accomplishment of our bond together.

Well put JB.

Ego
Embarrassment
Men in General
Etc

Great answer, thank you! :good:

Well, that was just stupid... Lost sale and lost customer, I hope he got fired!

One of my mentors when I started playing about 9 yrs ago was a lady who worked in the pro shop of a local course. I had seen her several times when I was checking in at the clubhouse, but one day, ran into her on the first tee. She offered to let me play along, so I did. She was good in that she knew the game, knew her abilities and did whatever it took to get the ball in the hole in the fewest strokes. We started playing couples events together until I moved off. She taught me a lot about playing within myself and taking what the course gave me. She was an avid golfer, retired, who played every day that she wasn't working. We had some great battles since our games were at about the same level. Never underestimate a golfer based on her gender!

Back