Rory McIlroy To Nike?

I wonder if Nike is adding to the stable or looking to replace non-performers, (AK & Cink one to mind)?

AK didn't even have a bag deal with them last year (he was using his carry bag from Oklahoma). Whether we have seen the last of AK with Nike, I don't know, but that was kind of telling.

AK didn't even have a bag deal with them last year (he was using his carry bag from Oklahoma). Whether we have seen the last of AK with Nike, I don't know, but that was kind of telling.

His bag deal was with RBC I think. They gave him and Tiger the go ahead to have different sponsors for their bags.

His bag deal was with RBC I think. They gave him and Tiger the go ahead to have different sponsors for their bags.

Each athlete has a duffer bet contract. They don't have to get permission to have other sponsors. TW has a unique deal with nike and has never has the swoosh on his bag. RM deal will be structured in such way that he can maximize his marketability.

Rory signs with Nike

Rory signs with Nike

Its official! Rory has signed with Nike, discuss. I may change my mind about Nike equipment now that Rory has switched to Nike. Heres hoping they can slap a nike symbol on a prov1x.

Wow, big day for swoosh.

Its official! Rory has signed with Nike, discuss. I may change my mind about Nike equipment now that Rory has switched to Nike. Heres hoping they can slap a nike symbol on a prov1x.

You would be surprised what they can put that swoosh on.

Still don't like him

Is it official?

Merged this with another thread on the subject. There is also an article on the home page.
And to answer Chunkylover, no, it is not official.

Has it been officially announced now?

I do like how Rory validates Nike but Tiger's, Glover's, Cink's, and Schwartzel's success don't.

Not sure I understand why a simple signing of a player now makes you think more of Nike. Do you think less of Titleist now since they no longer have Rory? Would you think more of a company like Powerbuilt if they signed Rors? Not knocking, just wonder why Nike throwing tons of money at Rory makes you think more of Nike equipment?

I've been thinking about this move more and more and I think it might change his play for a short time, but in the long run I don't think he'll notice differences at all.

Not sure I understand why a simple signing of a player now makes you think more of Nike. Do you think less of Titleist now since they no longer have Rory? Would you think more of a company like Powerbuilt if they signed Rors? Not knocking, just wonder why Nike throwing tons of money at Rory makes you think more of Nike equipment?
I dont like Tiger as a person or his behavior while playing golf, so Nike being his main sponsor has soured me on their gear. Rory has a great image and has been a gentleman on the course and hes playing better than Tiger atm. I myself will keep playing Titleist as They fit my game perfectly,but at least I may take the time to try some Nike gear now because Rory is the new spokesman and I like him. This is why they signed him.

I dont like Tiger as a person or his behavior while playing golf, so Nike being his main sponsor has soured me on their gear. Rory has a great image and has been a gentleman on the course and hes playing better than Tiger atm. I myself will keep playing Titleist as They fit my game perfectly,but at least I may take the time to try some Nike gear now because Rory is the new spokesman and I like him. This is why they signed him.

I think you will be impressed by Nike's equipment. They have some really good gear and have been over looked for years.

Because they are now played by the #1 player in the world? What a leap into the big time for Nike. That is some stable of players if it is all true

I really did like the looks and performance of last years Nike equipment. I think these additions along with great products should mean a banner year for Nike.

Far from official.

Because they are now played by the #1 player in the world? What a leap into the big time for Nike. That is some stable of players if it is all true

While I agree that any company having the #1 player in the world rasies the stature of their offerings. To suddenly think of them in a completly different light to me seems odd. His signing has no bearing on the quality of the eqiupment. His signing along with the other players raises the stature of Nike Golf as whole.

I was just kidding. I don't know why any tour play would make equipment more attractive to anyone. I've loved Nike since the 1st offering of TW blades.

Rory being a good person has nothing to do with my image of Nike. I have the same image of Nike as I did the start of this year. I just personally never liked (other then the VrS irons) anything they put on the market. Nike signing Rory should have zero bearing on if you buy Nike clubs or not IMO.

Done some thinking on this today and here's what I came up with. Is this a great move for Rory? Personally I don't think so. Is the money great? Absolutely and I wouldn't ever turn down that much coin for anything. I feel like this, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. He played some really great golf this year and I wouldn't want to see him go down the road that most of the other Nike players have. Tiger is pretty much the only Nike staffer to succeed with their stuff. Sure Glover, Immelmann, Cink and Charl have all won majors using Nike but what have they done since? Let's not forget about Duval! Though he may have already been on the decline when signing with Nike he surely disappeared after he did. Then there are players like AK who is all but forgotten. Immelmann split and went with Callaway, haven't really heard from Cink, Glover or Charl since. I think other that Tiger, Molinari is the most promising player they have right now.

This seems to be a New York Yankee type move. Buy the best horses for your stable and hope they perform. Almost like a last ditch effort. I know that Nike golf pulls in a ton of money and I'm not saying that they are in trouble or anything just seems like they're trying to revamp/create a new image. I'm also not saying Rory will fall into the abyss that the aforementioned have. I'm just saying that as good as he is, it might not be the seamless transfer that we all expect. We also all know that if he does have a rocky year, we will all blame the switch. If he has another great year we are going to chalk it up to him being that good. I think this is a great move financially and would absolutely make the same one facing $250 million but is it his best move?

Done some thinking on this today and here's what I came up with. Is this a great move for Rory? Personally I don't think so. Is the money great? Absolutely and I wouldn't ever turn down that much coin for anything. I feel like this, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. He played some really great golf this year and I wouldn't want to see him go down the road that most of the other Nike players have. Tiger is pretty much the only Nike staffer to succeed with their stuff. Sure Glover, Immelmann, Cink and Charl have all won majors using Nike but what have they done since? Let's not forget about Duval! Though he may have already been on the decline when signing with Nike he surely disappeared after he did. Then there are players like AK who is all but forgotten. Immelmann split and went with Callaway, haven't really heard from Cink, Glover or Charl since. I think other that Tiger, Molinari is the most promising player they have right now.

This seems to be a New York Yankee type move. Buy the best horses for your stable and hope they perform. Almost like a last ditch effort. I know that Nike golf pulls in a ton of money and I'm not saying that they are in trouble or anything just seems like they're trying to revamp/create a new image. I'm also not saying Rory will fall into the abyss that the aforementioned have. I'm just saying that as good as he is, it might not be the seamless transfer that we all expect. We also all know that if he does have a rocky year, we will all blame the switch. If he has another great year we are going to chalk it up to him being that good. I think this is a great move financially and would absolutely make the same one facing $250 million but is it his best move?

Im really confused how it is a money grab for Nike, but not for the company that would have been paying him prior. In the end, its a company (no matter which one), playing for him to play their stuff. And I dont agree at all with "what have Nike guys done". A whole bunch of guys won majors and quite a few of them won post their majors as well and certainly have contended quite a bit (see Charl). Then move over to the ladies side and see Suzann winning 2 of the last 3 weeks. Molinari has been excellent as well. And of course there is Tiger.

DD? He was well on the decline and when he left Nike, he did nothing either. Trevor? When he left Nike, he has done nothing.

I am not sure I understand why its a money grab for Nike to sign talent, but not for every other company. His contract was up. If he stayed with Titleist and they paid him a ton to keep him, would it be a money grab for them?

Nike is in a lose lose here. He loses early, it is all about the clubs not being as good. He wins early, its because he is so good, he can play with anything.

But he is broke(compared to whats on the table), and he can fix it. And he is doing so by making a switch.

What if rors is way better than we could ever imagine, and he would've won 6 times this year had his equipment not been holding him back. Maybe Nike has equipment that's better for him?

Define "is it his best move?"...... He's an independent contractor. Go where the money is because it won't be there for long.

WINNING ISN'T EVERYTHING ON THE PGA TOUR. MAKING MONEY IS.

TT on iPad

Back