Need fairway grass lesson - as it applies to different regions of the USA

inthehole

Holly Sonders Caddie
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 11.5
I need a lesson a fairway grass (a local guy explained the difference between bermuda grass vs. bent grass on the greens, so I think I have that figured out ... but my question is with regard to faiways). I'm from PA & have only played in PA, NJ & NY (and Vegas a couple times) - just got back from a trip to Myrtle Beach & found out the fairway grass is dramatically different than what I've played. N/E fairway grass is pretty basic grass, nothing unusual - just your basic long stranded yard grass, well maintained & kept short (obviously). The fairway grass on all 3 South Carolina courses I played was just as short as what I'm used to, but tightly snarled and what my wife called "grabby". I had an awful time taking divots with it with my wedges - it would just grab the club - I couldn't power my way through it to take a proper divot off the short fairway grass. It really caught me off guard & I belive would take a significantly different technique of which I'm unaware to play well. It does give me an even higher appreciation for the tour guys who can play in all kinds of different grass.

Just really curious what anyone can tell me about southern fairway grass & how they approach playing it. Thanks !!

One is seed based and one is stolon based. Bent grows vertical as Bermuda grows horizontal. Bermuda is also more woody.

Hmm...I can't say that I've ever noticed an appreciable difference in the short stuff, so I don't think I can help. Of course you should be hitting ball before grass. If you're not, that may be part of the problem. Sometimes I think I am, but notice my divot is just behind the ball.

However, in the rough, there's a world of difference, naturally.

You were probably on bermuda fairways from the description. There are several varieties of bermuda used across the south. Another popular southern grass is zoysia, it is a really good fairway grass because of the way the ball sets up on top, it is like hitting off a tee. As suggested above if you are having trouble, make sure to hit the ball first then the turf.

thx for the replies !!

Glad I'm not the only one ... not alot of fun to play on from what I saw.

I have spent most of my life on the west coast except for a few years in florida and now here in virginia so I think it is about what someone gets used to. I cannot figure out how to chip/pitch out of the bermuda rough when the balls sits down so much. In addition, digging one out of the rough on a full shot isn't any fun either. And I have no idea how to read grain into putts. So basically I am useless on bermuda :clap:

Back