Putting with markers

arwin

Reaction score
So I've been practicing my putting on my putting green while using pennies as gates to make sure that my putts are coming off the face square.

I choose my line and put down the pennies to make a gate and when I putt, I make sure that my ball goes through the gate.

I've been having good success while practicing so I was wondering....is it illegal to place 2 markers down on a real green and putt my ball through them?

If you were in a tournament or something yes its illegal but if your just playing a round to get better do what you need to until you master your skill.

So I've been practicing my putting on my putting green while using pennies as gates to make sure that my putts are coming off the face square.

I do a similar drill. I use a dime (smaller than a penny) and place it aobut 16" in front of my ball. I have to roll the ball over the center of the dime with variable length strokes. These are the ONLY two things you can and should control in a putt. The stroke length and starting the ball on your intended line. Everything else is out of your control. When playing, I pick a blade of grass, discoloration, or some other mark to do the same thing during a round. The great thing about this drill is you can do it indoors and over the winter.

Back