Help for non-golfers!

prasadar21

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm not sure where I should post this but I'm not much of a golfer and I'm looking for help anywhere I can get, so here it goes...

I want to buy a golf club as a gift but as a non-golfer I'm not too familar with which kind I should get. I was thinking about getting something like "Cleveland CG14 Black Pearl Tour Zip Wedge" or the "Cleveland Launcher XL 270 Driver Draw" but then again I don't know what type of "loft" to get. My boyfriend just started getting into golfing and he doesn't own a single golf club, so I figured I would buy him one special one. Any help would be much appreciated. Also I'd prefer to not spend ridiculous amounts of money.

PS he's 6'8 so I wanted to know if that would factor into the golf club also.

Again, thanks so much!

Good call on making your own thread.

You should answer these questions first and maybe we can narrow something down further.

How serious is he about golfing?

How much do you want to spend?

Does it have to be a new club?

I still think if you want to get him a club for a gift to get a putter. that would be the club he is least likely to change out if he continues to play and upgrade clubs in the future. Maybe look into getting one 36" long vs the standard 34".

^Great advice with the putter, that could work(some here won't agree with this, putter fitting is important as well). Difficult situation with him being that tall, he really needs to be fitted for pretty much all of his clubs. Lol if he was a foot shorter you could get away with it.

Maybe buy him lessons or a bag, balls, tee's, books, and tell him about this site? Those together will help him 10000x more than a club that he probably doesn't know how to properly use yet. Honestly the best thing I've purchased so far has been books.

I would buy your BF a fitting at Golftec. This will answer a great many question. At 6'8" he needs a proper fitting.

Then you can buy him the proper clubs for his swing

Well he's getting pretty serious now. He goes out to the range and the courses a lot more now. I don't really want it to be really expensive, maybe up to $120. He's wanted his own clubs but since he's still in school he can't really afford to buy it because of tuition and such.

Good call on making your own thread.

You should answer these questions first and maybe we can narrow something down further.

How serious is he about golfing?

How much do you want to spend?

Does it have to be a new club?

I still think if you want to get him a club for a gift to get a putter. that would be the club he is least likely to change out if he continues to play and upgrade clubs in the future. Maybe look into getting one 36" long vs the standard 34".

Do you have any recommendations in which putter to get? I'm struggling here haha.
The closest golf store near me is Golf Town, so I've been browsing the site.

Well the most correct answer is to get him a fitting and you will here it repeated over and over here (because it is the most correct).

But since you want to get a club, I say get a nice Odyssey putter in the $50-80 range (probably won't find one for that price new at a golf store though) that you think he would like. Maybe find one that is 35" or 36" long rather than 34" since he is taller.

Hope this helps.

I would buy your BF a fitting at Golftec. This will answer a great many question. At 6'8" he needs a proper fitting.

Then you can buy him the proper clubs for his swing

Freddie Speaks the truth, I honestly think this is the best way to go because my buddy-who is also about 6'8" has problems using standard equipment, and a proper fitting would set him up perfectly for the future of his game.

Do you have any recommendations in which putter to get? I'm struggling here haha.
The closest golf store near me is Golf Town, so I've been browsing the site.

Does it have to be a surprise? I know I'd rather my GF just ask me what I want instead of surprising me(which she does, and it's usually something I don't care for because we have completely different taste, but I keep my mouth shut.:D) ..golf equipment is all about the feel, look, quality, and performance ..unfortunately it's not like basketball where a ball is a ball ya know? You simply can't guess and have the odds in your favor.

Well the most correct answer is to get him a fitting and you will here it repeated over and over here (because it is the most correct).

But since you want to get a club, I say get a nice Odyssey putter in the $50-80 range (probably won't find one for that price new at a golf store though) that you think he would like. Maybe find one that is 35" or 36" long rather than 34" since he is taller.

Hope this helps.

But wouldn't that just be a fitting then...like it'd cost more money to do that and get a club?

But wouldn't that just be a fitting then...like it'd cost more money to do that and get a club?

No not really i had my fitting at GOLFTEC last xmas for $99.00.

No not really i had my fitting at GOLFTEC last xmas for $99.00.

Does that include the golf club also?

No it is going to tell you what type of club.length,lie and brands will work, it is better than just randomly buying clubs only to find out they do not work out for you . If you do go through them you can then buy the clubs through them at resonable prices some will do price matching..

Seriously, if he hasn't gone through a fitting, it is a great gift. Otherwise, a round of golf at a local course is always great - club purchases for someone 6'8" is just too difficult, too many variables. If you go to a small business owner golf shop, somewhere local, you might be able to negotiate a wedge fitting for him with one wedge included to his spec.

Back