A Technological Research Project

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Jason K is back with a really interesting article about technology and golf, and if using a GPS makes you a better or a different player. Give it a read and let us know your thoughts.

http://thehackersparadise.com/home/?p=3488

• Admin
Lets bump this for puttin4bird and hopefully some will leave him their thoughts.

So I think GPS has its biggest advantage at a course you have never played before. At your home course, I agree with his findings that there is very little difference because mostly you know how far everything is at your course. But at a new course where you have never played before I find it to be extremely helpful. Especially with where to line up my drives. If I know how far bunkers are it is easier for me to hit the fairway.

I would like to see the study to include courses he has never played before.

That's my thoughts.

• Admin
Agreed 100%. I also think the pace of play factor is huge.

I'd like to see a study with more participants representing different handicaps. Based purely on anecdotal evidence, it seems that people with low HI's - let's say 3 and under - benefit more from using a GPS.

• Admin
Diane you may be right. Not sure. Lower handicapped players may have more of a feel for distances as well. But that might be a good article to put together.

Diane you may be right. Not sure. Lower handicapped players may have more of a feel for distances as well. But that might be a good article to put together.

Not to take away from anyone else, but precision seems to matter more to the lower handicappers. Whether they're 76 or 75 yards out takes on greater importance than for a higher handicapper. Again, that is only based on what I've been told.

• Admin
You are absolutely right when it comes to approach shots. I was talking more about the tee shots and knowing what distances hazards were going to come into play.

Not to take away from anyone else, but precision seems to matter more to the lower handicappers. Whether they're 76 or 75 yards out takes on greater importance than for a higher handicapper. Again, that is only based on what I've been told.

Aw, c'mon Girlfriend--we know that in your case, it's inches, not feet!

You are absolutely right when it comes to approach shots. I was talking more about the tee shots and knowing what distances hazards were going to come into play.

Interesting point - I would think a GPS would help everyone, but based on Jason's experiment - it didn't seem to make a difference. However, one person and 10 rounds is a very small sample so it's difficult to conclude anything.

I use GPS when I play. I don't get to fancy with it, preferring only to know the distance to the middle of the green. I keep my score on it most of the time. Then there are those great driver shots that had to go 300+, so the shot distance mode is pretty cool. Sometimes disappointing too. All this being said, I have to say that it is my own game that makes using GPS a more viable tool for my game. I can actually hit each of my clubs a consistent distance. Being able to do that, make GPS more useful to me. If I could not hit balls consistent distances, then GPS would be of little help.

I liked JK's article. Especially the part about walking versus riding. The difference between the two will impact a player's score based on which mode of travel they use the most. I play better walking than I do riding, but I also know folks who play better riding. :comp:

Interesting point - I would think a GPS would help everyone, but based on Jason's experiment - it didn't seem to make a difference. However, one person and 10 rounds is a very small sample so it's difficult to conclude anything.

You are exactly right Diane, a 10 round study was hardly enough to really start a wave of people to either buy or not buy GPS, it was simply my way of at least trying to get an idea if I would really benefit from it. I have never really paid close enough attention to some stats to know if it would help me. I think it may be purely coincidental findings too possibly, but I certainly found that on my own turf I probably didn't need a GPS as much as I might have thought.

I could be a fun forum project to have a wide range of us players all compiling the data of GPS and Non GPS coupled with home course versus different course. If we can get enough people interested in the idea I would be happy to compile all the numbers as we go.

StLCardsFan posted a great response on the article page that knowing the exact yardage with the help of GPS helps the golfer be more confident with the yardage and the subsequent shot. I totally agree with that assessment, however I'm not 100% sold on the idea of needing GPS to get that exact yardage personally. I think having a sprinkler head and a quick pace off of the distance from there is very very accurate in my own experiences.

As a high handicap player I love having the GPS. Like most said it helps me with my confidence when I can get an accurate read on how far I am hitting my shots, and exactly how far away the pin or hazards are. It has also helped me with picking which club I should use. I think of it like a calculator, sure I can do simple math problems in my head or on paper, but having the calculator is so much better!

**no comment on my math skills JB, I know you will have something smart to say**

She has to take her golf shoes off so she can use her toes to count...hehe

She has to take her golf shoes off so she can use her toes to count...hehe

I'm sure there is a foot fetish joke in there somewhere, but I'm a little off my game today.

StLCardsFan posted a great response on the article page that knowing the exact yardage with the help of GPS helps the golfer be more confident with the yardage and the subsequent shot. I totally agree with that assessment, however I'm not 100% sold on the idea of needing GPS to get that exact yardage personally. I think having a sprinkler head and a quick pace off of the distance from there is very very accurate in my own experiences.

I don't want to start a whole other discussion so I will try and avoid it. A GPS is completely useless to me. I want to know my exact distance on approach shots. Tee shots and other hazards might be a little different. Unless you get a pin sheet from the course with the day's hole locations a GPS is not much better than a yardage book and sprinkler heads. Can I hit a ball 127 every time I have it, probably not, but I can get close. I feel like I can be +/- 5 yards from the hole on any shot inside of 200 yards (if I hit it how I want to). My rangefinder will get me to the middle of that 10 yard area. My problem with GPS and course markings are that it only tells you to the center of the green.

I played last weekend on a hole where I had 145 to the center of a 35 yard deep, elevated green. I don't know where the flag is unless I take the time to go up to the green and look. Pull out the rangefinder and I know I am 138. I could have guessed anywhere between 135 and 155. I hit my shot with full confidence that I won't be going 10 yards past the hole with a tough downhill putt. I hit my 140 shot and miss a little to the right but pin high on the green with an easy putt. 3-4 years ago I would have probalby hit that shot and been short or long.

I have become much better with distance control since I got a rangefinder. That has helped me with my overall game since I am no longer guessing. Since I know my distances, and how to hit each shot, I never stand over a ball wondering what I am going to do. Do I hit every shot perfectly the right distance? Not by a long shot. But I can do it much more now, than I could a few years ago, and that has helped my scores greatly.

STL,
Our course GPS units have 16 quadrants and are plus or minus 2 yards. However our course also has a lot of dog legs which render a rangefinder useless in those scenarios. I have both and use both and like both. However using the rangefinder takes way longer than just glancing down and it is also harder to use with pins.

The last two days I've had access to both a range finder and gps *thanks to Smallville*, I'm still not sure which I would rather have. I am leaning more towards the gps simply because of the convienence factor. I'm still not accurate enough with my irons to need exact yardages but it is nice to have the distance to the center of the green.

However our course also has a lot of dog legs which render a rangefinder useless in those scenarios.

JB - I don't have a GPS, but aren't they useless with doglegs too?

Not at all. It is via the satellites, so it gives you everything regardless of obstacles.

Not at all. It is via the satellites, so it gives you everything regardless of obstacles.

Yes, but wouldn't you need some course management skills to best utilize the info it's giving you to your advantage? You will hit through or over the dogleg - I would probably have to go around it. Different strategies come into play.

Diane: they tell you how far to the dogleg.

The one thing I do NOT like about mine is that it gives you layup distances (it tells you how far you have to hit to lay up to 100, 125, 150 yards). I hate it because I can do my own math and I have to press a button to get past that screen.

MO: I'm sorry I probably just added to your golf costs. hehehe

THat is true, however here is an example. Number 10 on my course is a par 5 and it is only 180 yards from the mens whites to a trap on the left and then right past the dog leg on the right is water that starts running down the right side. With a range finder you could not see the water at all, however with GPS, you will know the yardage it starts.

Back