Diane

Reaction score
I just read this article in the WSJ. What do you think - is Boo right in saying the majors are just another tournament that the media has hyped? Or are they truly special events where players get butterflies and whatever course they're playing has been elevated to hallowed group for that week of play? What makes them special - the tradition, the challenge of grasping that brass ring that will elude even good players or the way the course is set up for a major?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204119704574236950942071182.html

I think it depends on the player and many other factors. Money has changed it so much today and that has dictated certain players drive to win and outperform the competition. Players do not have to win to make a tremendous living.

However there are still the certain few that it means so much more for. Losing is not an option for these players and the majors are their superbowl.

According to a lot of players, winning a major is a defining moment in their career. Winning multiple majors is an even bigger deal for them. These courses that the majors are played on are set to identify the better players, and since most, if not all the best players play in these majors that might even be a sound idea of achievement. But, like most tournaments, all a major does now is to determine who the best player that week is/was. Winners now days, with a little luck added in, showed up with a better, overall game for 4 days. Except for a very few pro golfers, just finishing in the top 10 of a major is the highlight of the year, maybe even their career for them.

Does the media over hype a major? Sure they do. The media will over hype road kill if they think it is to their advantage. Like a player, who's defining moment is a major win, reporting at a major, is a journalist's defining moment, should they "scoop" their own competition. :comp:

What do you think - is Boo right in saying the majors are just another tournament that the media has hyped?

Well, technically, the Super Bowl is just another football game; the World Series is just another another road trip; and the Stanley Cup is just some hockey games.

But what makes the majors special is pretty simple: (a) they are national championships; (b) their heritage and tradition; and (c) they feature the best players in the world on the most challenging courses/setups in the world.

And besides, it's so much fun watching the folks over at the Player's Championship tie themselves into knots pretending they're a major. :devil:

Any player who says that the majors are, "just another tournament" is either bitter because they have never won a major or dont understand golf history and just how important winning a major is.
No matter how many tournaments you win, what really matters when you career is over is whether or not you won any majors.
IMO, there is no way that teeing off at a major feels just like any other tournament. There is so much prestige in winning a major and the competition is a lot tougher at a major.
IMO, if you were to give the average tour pro the option of winning a lot of tournaments but never winning a major or not winning quite so much and winning a major or 2; Im pretty sure they would choose to win a major or 2.

I think you are right, but not always Bakemono. Kenny Perry skipped out on a major, and I just think that players today have a different mentality. Sure they want to win them. And sure that when you do they are special. But they are more for the fans and the media than anything else. With Invitationals and other tournies having top fields its not the same as it used to be.

Personally I remember the majors better than regular tournaments. I think players are remembered more for winning majors than regular tournaments as well.

Personally I remember the majors better than regular tournaments. I think players are remembered more for winning majors than regular tournaments as well.

I think so too.

I also think that as fans we do not want to think the players could possibly think this.

I think you are right, but not always Bakemono. Kenny Perry skipped out on a major, and I just think that players today have a different mentality. Sure they want to win them. And sure that when you do they are special. But they are more for the fans and the media than anything else. With Invitationals and other tournies having top fields its not the same as it used to be.
I just cant believe that having a U.S. Open, The Open Championship (British Open) or Masters trophy is far more important than winning some lesser touranment.
When a player is measured against his peers, other than the Ryder Cup; winning majors is what matters.
You mentioned Kenny Perry. Last year he said that winning majors wasnt that big of a deal to him, yet this year he admitted that winning majors is a big deal.
You could tell how bad he wanted to win The Masters and how much it pained him to come so close and not win.
I like Boo Weekly, I think he's a great golfer with a very colorful personality but IMO he is dead wrong on this one.
I dont deny that probably a lot of golfers look at it more of yearly winnings and endorsements and stats and whatnot; but there is no way that you can be a student of the history of golf and a fan of the game and not think that majors are by far the most important tournaments of the year.
Granted, Im not a pro golfer and have never stood on the tee of a major and cant say for certain that it feels any different than a regular tournament but to me, that would be like a football player saying the Superbowl is just another football game.

I agree with everything you said Bake. But keep in mind like you said it is how they are measured. The fans and the media are who are measuring them. I think to most winning majors is a huge deal, but to some it is not.

Who decreed that a certain event would be called a "Major" and why? Why stop with just 4 Majors? Why not have 6-8 a year? A win is a win & I don't care if it's the Masters or the Milwaukee Open.

Nope, the Majors are more important.

Definitely Majors are more important. It's the prestige. It's the history behind them. It's the legacy - you'll always be remembered for winning a Major, but any other win just goes into the "X tour wins" column and is just a number.

That goes back to my thoughts Osahar. You will be remembered by the fans and the media, but some golfers do not care about that.

I think Bakemono makes some good points. Every player on tour would rather win a major than any other tournament. I think it is easier for players that haven't won a major to say it is not that important. If winning majors weren't as important then Jack Nicklaus wouldn't be considered the greatest player ever, that honor would belong to Sam Snead.

I think in Kenny Perry's case it was a one year deal where his priority was to play in the Ryder Cup in his home state on a course that he felt "owed" him something for his loss there in a major. I don't think he has skipped any other majors that he was eligible for except those couple last year.

As a player that wins a major your life on tour has changed, you are elevated to a higher class of golfer by your peers and everyone else. Not to mention the perks, endorsment deals and exemptions that come along with a major win.

And JB, who are these golfers that don't care about majors that you keep mentioning???

Im not saying players dont care. What I am saying is the media and fans make more of it than the players do. Im not sure I agree that it elevates everybody. There have been a lot that have never been heard of again.

Players like Rich Beem? It is the type of sport where people can get hot for a few days and win. I personally believe it does mean more than a regular tour event. However I do think some of the golfers dont think it means as much as we do.

Im not saying players dont care. What I am saying is the media and fans make more of it than the players do. Im not sure I agree that it elevates everybody. There have been a lot that have never been heard of again.

Players like Rich Beem? It is the type of sport where people can get hot for a few days and win. I personally believe it does mean more than a regular tour event. However I do think some of the golfers dont think it means as much as we do.

I do agree with your point that it just takes getting hot for the right couple days and anyone can win. But would you even know who Rich Beem was if he hadn't won?

Absolutely correct Osahar. But is that because of the fans and media or because of himself as a player and promoter.

Agreed Osahar, I would guess not very many pros, hell even Beem himself could tell you what other events he won....

In Boo's defense, I think players would be wise to convince themselves before and during play, at least, that a Major is just another 72 holes of golf. It's afterward that it's safe to view the Major for what it is.

They are majors because the players and fans see them as more important than the other events through the year. Every sport has its ultimate event where the players come prepared to play their best against the best competition their sport has to offer. The thrill of winning against the very best players in any sport is special and watching it is also very special...so in the final analysis, they are majors because we make them so in our minds and hearts.

Back