A Technological Research Project

Diane: they tell you how far to the dogleg.

Ok, but will it give you distance by how the crow flies from where you are to the green? What if you hit over or through the dogleg? Or do you have to estimate that?

It will tell you how far from where you are. Say you are on a 400 yard hole (according to the scorecard) but it doglegs right. It will tell you that from where you are, it is 225 to the dogleg and 375 to the hole.

But better than that, if you are off the fairway, maybe two fairways over or down a big hill where you cannot see the green, let alone the pin, it will tell you how far you are to front, middle or back of the green. I never paid attention to if it inverts front and back when you are behind the green, or what it does if you are even with the green! I just never have noticed! Generally, center of the green is good enough for my game right now and what I usually look at.

I still carry my rangefinder with me too, but use the GPS more. Sometimes though, you want to know how far it is to something that the GPS hasn't mapped.

YOu are right Smalls. Unless you have a UPRO with that cursor.

Unfortunately for me: (1) You hadn't reviewed the UPRO before I bought the GolfLogix (in fact, THP was over a month away from starting when I got it!) and (2) I didn't win the UPRO contest!

It will tell you how far from where you are. Say you are on a 400 yard hole (according to the scorecard) but it doglegs right. It will tell you that from where you are, it is 225 to the dogleg and 375 to the hole.

I'm very sorry, but I still don't understand - is the 375 around the dogleg or through it?

Around it. It can give you layup spots and distances to many different things on your way to the green.

I'm very sorry, but I still don't understand - is the 375 around the dogleg or through it?

Through it. It tells you how far you are from the green from where you are at that moment, not how far the course says it is.

Around it. It can give you layup spots and distances to many different things on your way to the green.

Am I messed up here?

Thank you. Now, let's take you - you're a low handicapper. Does that info in this specific situation have as much value to you as a high handicapper who is going to go around the dogleg? I am really trying to understand this.

Use my first example. WIth that you would not know there was water up there at one point yardage wise with a rangefinder. The GPS tells you exactly how far you would be.

Diane-

Every GPS gives you distance from where you are to a target (usually the green) on a straight line (as the crow flies). Most GPSs have mapped obstacles such as water, sand traps, etc and willl give you the distance to those as well, whether you can see them from your current location or not (no line of sight required.) For example:

sonocaddie_large.jpg

All of those distances are as the crow flies from your current location.

The only exception that I know of is the AnyPoint function on the uPro in ProMode (additional charge for ProMode mapped couurses), which allows you to manually designate a target on the fly, or to "bend" the path to the target. (If I understang correctly.)

uProanypoint.jpg

Did that answer your question?

Yes Harry - that answered my question. Thank you.:good:

Just read the article today, and had to side with Smallville. The concept of the article was great, but the execution of testing GPS vs non-GPS was flawed.

Back