How many of us buy only new or do you get used ones?

Question for those of you that buy used. I'm scared of buying irons used because I don't know if the previous owner had them adjusted or not. My irons are adjusted 2* flat, so if I bought one and it turned out to be adjusted 2* upright, wouldn't that be bad to bend back the other way?

I try to purchase clubs either used or the year after they come out. Much like cars, I have never seen the value in buying a golf club that is absolutely brand new.

Question for those of you that buy used. I'm scared of buying irons used because I don't know if the previous owner had them adjusted or not. My irons are adjusted 2* flat, so if I bought one and it turned out to be adjusted 2* upright, wouldn't that be bad to bend back the other way?

I am by no means an expert on iron bending. But, I think the general rule of thumb is that you can bend irons within reason (and I think your situation is within reason) without negatively affecting the club.

I try to purchase clubs either used or the year after they come out. Much like cars, I have never seen the value in buying a golf club that is absolutely brand new.

Dont quote me but I dont think that would be advisable, though taken it back to neutral than going 2* the other way does add some stress.

Sent from my DROID X2

I much preferred used if I'm spending my money.

Whoops quote the wrong post

Sent from my DROID X2

Whoops quote the wrong post

Sent from my DROID X2

Understood. I am certainly not an expert on this.

When I purchased my irons on the 'Bay, I spent a lot of time reading about club bending. My irons needed to be 2* upright, and I was concerned about purchasing a set that were either standard or bent a little flat. My memory of the research was that 3-4* of bend was not a huge issue, but I may not be remembering it correctly. Fortunately for me, I found a set that was 2* upright, so I did not need to worry about having them re-bent.

Bending 2* is fine. I bend my down to 2* flat from std.

Sent from my DROID X2

Typically I buy used because there seems to always be someone out there selling basically new stuff for about half price.

I've bought both. I admit...I prefer new...but in the past I have had to go with the "Previously Owned" clubs.

Everything in my bag is used, but the wedges. I guess I really prefer new wedges.

Used from a reliable source (most people on this forum and ebay sellers with good feedback) or new after they are no longer the hottest item on the market. If you buy them used from the original purchaser they should be able to tell you if they have been altered. Ebay listings all the time note + 1/2 or 2 UP... It all about who you are buying from in my opinion. I have bought and sold through this forum and have had nothing but great experiences. I have yet to have a bad experience on ebay either but always am afraid that my next one will be the one..

Agree with this. I've bought new clubs in the past and bristle when I see them for almost 25% of what I paid a few months later (although some brand hold their value better than others). It's a mix between used and new for me. There's so many good deals out there and some times I'm ok with spending a little bit to try out a particular club. For example, I recently spent $10 for a Callaway Razr XF 6i that was a demo club. They are over $1K for a set, so I was able to play it a few times on the course and now it's on my radar when I decide to get a new iron set for basically a bucket of range balls.

I buy irons new but usually one year behind what's current. This year I picked up the Ping G-15s for a lot less than the G-20s. Drivers I always buy new for some reason. Fairways are usually a mix of new and used.

Definitely used equipment. I trade in old and get newer at local stores. The first time you hit a ball with your new club, you have a used club and since golf clubs are like cars, that hit lowers their value significantly.

I bought everything new this time, but I usually like to buy previous generation stuff new so I save money. Too many people get screwed on ebay

I always buy new clubs... almost always from ebay.

I buy all of my equipment new. Saving $60 on a used wedge isn't a make or break for me. Aside from certain greens fees, golf is relatively cheaper than some of the other things I'm into.

I always buy new. Just a preference, I feel more comfortable and confident in the club when I buy new.

Other than wedges I will buy used. I will also say that when I do buy new I never pay full price I wait for a sale

I buy both new and used. My irons are new but I just purchased a hybrid off Ebay. I am purchasing a driver after Christmas which I will buy new. Wedges are one club, I like to buy new.

I have done both, lately I have been buying used from eBay for the most part. I have a same iron set for the last 3 years and my wedges where new when I got them. I won one of them in a tournament and I bought the other new. My driver, fw, and my hybrids are all bought used. I have same putter for the last 3 years and it was used/mint condition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have purchased used and new. Used must be something that I know fits my game and not just a cheap club.

I've done both. Wedges are always new. I'm okay with woods, hybrids and irons used from eBay and elsewhere. I've found some gear that is brand new (or nearly new) for a fraction of the new price. I don't need the latest and greatest, so a couple of years old is fine with me.

Good thread. I buy both used and new. Seems to be the norm to buy new wedges, all mine have been new. If I do buy new, I typically wait for a sale or get last year's model. Can't say that I've ever bought a used golf bag though, always new.

Back