Monterey Bay Courses

How did the round go?

I live about two hours south and have been meaning to get up to the peninsula. It's sad to live so close and never have played there.

How did the round go?

I live about two hours south and have been meaning to get up to the peninsula. It's sad to live so close and never have played there.

It was really nice, I enjoyed it. I ended up playing the Black Horse course instead of Bayonet because the Frys Open Qualifier took alittle longer than they expected. The practice facility was impressive. I showed up 3 hours before my tee time (had nothing else to do) and hit some balls on the range (Titleist NXT Tours) and worked on chipping and bunker shots on their practice green. This is the only course I have played in the area, but I would definitely recommend it. Here are a few pics I took from the course (sorry they are from my phone, I left the DSLR in the car).

IMG_20111003_104524-1.jpg

IMG_20111003_132929-1.jpg

IMG_20111003_133406-1.jpg

IMG_20111003_134809-1.jpg

IMG_20111003_144704-1.jpg

IMG_20111003_151827-1.jpg

Black Horse is really nice if the PB prices scare you.

Monterey CA Golf Recommendations

Monterey CA Golf Recommendations

My wife and I are heading to Carmel in early April to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary and I would like to play a couple of nice courses in the Carmel/Monterey area. Pebble Beach is out of my price range ($495!) and I was fortunate enough to get to play Spyglass Hill in the early 1980's for $40! What are some of the other nice courses in the area that anyone might suggest? I would pay up to $200 for something memorable. Thanks!

I've been here for a week and have played both Black Horse and Bayonet. Black Horse suited me a bit better. Bayonet was quite difficult. I plan to play Pacific Grove, hopefully this weekend and perhaps Poppy Hills later this month...bit will definitely put the Black Horse on my return list.

I've been here for a week and have played both Black Horse and Bayonet. Black Horse suited me a bit better. Bayonet was quite difficult. I plan to play Pacific Grove, hopefully this weekend and perhaps Poppy Hills later this month...bit will definitely put the Black Horse on my return list.
Please report back on Poppy Hills and Pacific Grove. I am going to play twice in April. Black Horse is definitely one I want to play but am trying to decided between Poppy and Pacific Grove for the second round.

Pacific Grove is beautiful on the back like everyone says, not a difficult track if there is no wind extremely short . My low 18 is actually there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pacific Grove is beautiful on the back like everyone says, not a difficult track if there is no wind extremely short . My low 18 is actually there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've only played it one time, and it was windy that day!

I'm headed to Poppy in March and really looking forward to it. They have a deal for new NCGA members, if you have an existing member that refers 3 new members, you get a free foursome! I'll take that deal all day long.

Would like to play Pacific Grove as well but might have to save that one for a long weekend with the little lady.

I echo the recommendation to play Poppy Hills. I actually played there on Sunday and it was awesome for a number of reasons. First, my friends and I all bought a Groupon deal and it was only $55 per person. Second, it was almost 70 degrees and sunny - perfect for shorts & polo shirt. Lastly, we played skins and our team won.

I've played a few in the area in recent years and here are my thoughts:

*Bayonet - It was nicely maintained and a challenge, but looking down a tunnel of trees on every hole got old to me. I wouldn't go back as I hit it too crooked.

*Blackhorse - I played it last Thanksgiving and loved it, even when playing it in the rain. Like Bayonet, nicely maintained and a good variety of holes. There were a lot of open driving holes compared to Bayonet where I could still get an approach up near the green instead of pitch out. Only a few holes where I needed to hit a good tee shot. Lightning fast greens even in the rain and many slopes on the greens! I'd go back and both Bayonet and BH were so reasonably priced for the area. Had some good views of the Monterey Bay too.

*Carmel Valley Ranch - One of the oddest layouts I have ever played, nice conditioning but overpriced. It was like the designer put 18 golf holes into a space for 16 holes. A 120ish yard par 3 that dropped so much in elevation that ya cannot see the green - it was this kind of stuff throughout the course. I didn't like it, except for a couple of the holes that it looks like you are hitting into a mountain.

*Poppy Hills - it was like a walk in the park, so peaceful. Lots of doglegs that pinch around 250 to 270 which didn't bother me, but might bother a longer hitter. Beautifully conditioned and every hole is tree lined and worth a picture. Plus I remember a few holes on TV from when the ATT was played there and it was neat to say I played a course the pros did. A little over priced IMO for a non-NCGA member.

*Del Monte - Nicely conditioned, but uninspiring layout and over priced. I didn't pay for my round there, but it would have cost over $100 and I felt that they charge so much because because it is one of the Pebble courses. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed my day there and actually shot one of my best rounds ever that day, but knowing of the other courses in the area I'd avoid it.

*Rancho Canada - I played one of the courses years ago and do not remember much about it besides that it was a good value course. Nothing great, but I didn't pay an arm and leg to play it. I'd like to go back and play the other one.

*Pacific Grove - I am probably going to get a little heat for this, but I do not understand the hype about this one. It had good views on the back, but the condition wasn't great when I played it, the course layout on the front and even on the back (besides the views!) were unimpressive. I personally would avoid it, but that is just me. I guess for the cheap price someone could give it a try and not have to worry too much if they don't like it.

*Links at Spanish Bay - I loved, loved, loved this course! To date it is my favorite course that I've played in California. Great variety of holes that wind near the coast and inland. Stunning views, the kind of views that make you forget about your score. Tough too, but nothing gimmicky. Only knock would be the finishing hole which was a let down compared to the rest of the course, especially with #17 right along the coast. Got it on a NCGA special for $160 and used some Christmas money, but I wouldn't pay the full price to play here.

I would also throw San Juan Oaks in with the Monterey Bay courses and it is one of the best in the Bay Area IMO. Someone might have to comment about recent conditions as I have not been there in a couple years. If you play there make sure you can move it from left to right like Freddie!

I'm headed to finally play Poppy Hills next week. I never got around to making the trek and have decided to get up there before they make their big renovation next year.

I'm headed to finally play Poppy Hills next week. I never got around to making the trek and have decided to get up there before they make their big renovation next year.

When are you playing there?

Driving up from SLO on Wednesday morning the 12th. I was just invited this morning, would you like me to check and see if we have an opening?

Driving up from SLO on Wednesday morning the 12th. I was just invited this morning, would you like me to check and see if we have an opening?

Yes please. Let me know the tee time and if there is an opening and I'll check my schedule.

Finally got out to Poppy Hills today. The weather has been rainy for the last few days and we happened to hit a sunny but cold day. Here's a few pictures from the round.

Myself on the left and my buddy on the first tee.
IMG_5293_zps35081e79.jpg

First fairway.
IMG_5296_zps44531b5f.jpg

Approach shot on the signature 10th hole.
IMG_5308_zps291e36cd.jpg

Looking back up the 18th Fairway(I believe).
IMG_5318_zps49ca47c6.jpg

Nice pics. Poppy Hills is great fun and I hope to get out there for a few more rounds before they tear it up in the Spring.

Back