Official College Football Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jay G Tate is reporting it as Malzahn, and I trust him about as much as I do any reporter.

I can't say he was my first choice, but hopefully the powers that be got it right. If he hires the right assistants I think we can continue to bring in top classes, I just hope he can keep the players disciplined.

WE - Looks like it may be Gus, starting to see it on Twitter.

And on Auburn's Scout page

Jay G Tate is reporting it as Malzahn, and I trust him about as much as I do any reporter.

I can't say he was my first choice, but hopefully the powers that be got it right. If he hires the right assistants I think we can continue to bring in top classes, I just hope he can keep the players disciplined.
Yep, it's official. Gus Malzahn will return to Auburn as Head Coach. I trust Bo Jackson and Pat Sullivan on making this decision with the powers that be.

Yep, it's official. Gus Malzahn will return to Auburn as Head Coach. I trust Bo Jackson and Pat Sullivan on making this decision with the powers that be.

I hope we go pickup a DC from a school running the spread, someone who knows how to manage a Def that spends alot of time on the field.

I hope we go pickup a DC from a school running the spread, someone who knows how to manage a Def that spends alot of time on the field.
One good thing is that Trooper and Luper will both be retained. Need them in order to keep our recruiting class intact.

One good thing is that Trooper and Luper will both be retained. Need them in order to keep our recruiting class intact.

Since he's only been gone a year, Malzahn probably did some of the early recruiting on this group as well.

Im really confused by this post. You talk of Notre Dame playing teams "all over" and 10 of 12 are rivalry games. Then you talk of how they cannot change their schedule each week and its not their fault teams are not that good this year. But then put down Bama's schedule for Arkansas, Auburn, TN, etc...These are teams that year in and year out are tough opponents. Clearly not as tough normally as Wake Forrest, BC, Navy, Pitt, etc...But tough nonetheless. :D
I like how you failed to point out , western carolina western kentucky and florida atlantic. wake forest, bs , navy and pitt, could handle most of alabamas schedule.

Since he's only been gone a year, Malzahn probably did some of the early recruiting on this group as well.
And fortunately, we already have the players to run his system.

From what I have heard it came down to Smart and Malzahn. Malzahn got the nod due to his connections to AU.

We can look at common opponents for ND/Bama if we want, oh that's Michigan.

One team won 13-6 at home vs Michigan, the other won 40-14 at home vs Michigan.

Alabama's closest game this year game against the #3 team in the BCS standings and the #5 team in the BCS standinds. Notre Dames closest game was to Pitt, in triple OT.
yes they were both played at "home" , i forgot how close ann arbor is to dallas. But i like how you are agreeing that michigan couldnt score a td on notre dame but scored twice on bama. Lets not forget that golson is a freshman quarterback and was having a lot of trouble getting into rhythm at the beginning of the season. Or the fact that michigan is a huge rivalry game. The team is completely different than when they played michigan.

By that logic tOSU might beat ND.

WE SHOULDA BEEN NC THIS YEAR THANKS A LOT TRESSEL.

No offense ( i think osu got screwed over) but i dont see them beating nd. The big 10 was very weak this year. Winning the big 10 this year is like being the best looking girl in a lane bryant catalog.

go irish!

yes they were both played at "home" , i forgot how close ann arbor is to dallas. But i like how you are agreeing that michigan couldnt score a td on notre dame but scored twice on bama. Lets not forget that golson is a freshman quarterback and was having a lot of trouble getting into rhythm at the beginning of the season. Or the fact that michigan is a huge rivalry game. The team is completely different than when they played michigan.

No offense ( i think osu got screwed over) but i dont see them beating nd. The big 10 was very weak this year. Winning the big 10 this year is like being the best looking girl in a lane bryant catalog.

go irish!
Ok. ND is still going to get whiped off the map by Bama.

I like how you failed to point out , western carolina western kentucky and florida atlantic. wake forest, bs , navy and pitt, could handle most of alabamas schedule.

The beautiful thing is that your beloved Irish get a chance to put up or shut up in person in Miami. It should be a fun game, and one this Bama fan is looking forward to.

Ok. ND is still going to get whiped off the map by Bama.

Haha, that's the simply way of saying it.

ND's victory over a pretty good, but not great Oklahoma team was pretty impressive. Beating Stanford by any score is nothing to sneeze at, but beyond that there aren't any other impressive victories on the schedule, and they had more than a couple wins that you have to raise your eyebrows at, such as Mich, BYU, Boston College, Pitt and USC. They should have blown all of those teams out of the water and they were all close games. Bama has their own problems, but I can't help but agree with WE... its going to be a bloodbath.

It won't be Gus, I'd almost bet on it.

You'll get to see him early next season though. I hope it ends poorly for Auburn. :)
Should be interesting, second game of the season vs Arky St.

Not even close buddy. I understand the bias, and its cool, but if you think any one of those 4 teams could handle the SEC schedule, then you will have to explain how they cannot handle their own awful conferences' schedule. And I believe BS is BC, but the typo says more than you would think...:D

Honest question for you. What makes a rivalry game? Location? Years of close games? What makes a rivalry? Its very easy to call weak opponents a rivalry game to make something look credible, I guess.

I am ecstatic right now.

Not because we hired Malzahn for HC, but because we did not hire Petrino.

I can still cheer for my Alma Mater.

I am ecstatic right now.

Not because we hired Malzahn for HC, but because we did not hire Petrino.

I can still cheer for my Alma Mater.
I can't blame you, I would be too! Petrino is just a terrible person.

You know what I love, ND fans thinking 10-12 of their games are "Huge Rivalries"... COME ON.

You know what are Rivalry games?

OU vs Texas
tOSU vs Michigan
Army vs Navy
etc....

The only ND opponent that i would consider a true rival is USC.

Edit: Must have not refreshed soon enough as JB beat me to it... I HATE ND FANS TALKING ABOUT MULTIPLE RIVALRIES...

JJ
I think that would be based on the sports fan. I would bet dollars for donuts that some that are in this thread are rather young and did not witness the birth or traditions of many of these or understand the idea behind a few. No biggie really, more fans is good thing in the end.

But I agree about the rivalry part. That is why I asked the question about what is a rivalry. I think a lot of times they are media and fan created rather than having any real merit.

I think there can be more than 1 true rival. But thinking UM, Purdue, USC, MSU, BC are ND rivalries is funny. But I think its fair to say tOSU/UM and UM/MSU would both be considered rivalries. Yes on different levels, but still rivals. Same thing for OSU/OU/Texas

Honest question for you. What makes a rivalry game? Location? Years of close games? What makes a rivalry? Its very easy to call weak opponents a rivalry game to make something look credible, I guess.

JJ
I think that would be based on the sports fan. I would bet dollars for donuts that some that are in this thread are rather young and did not witness the birth or traditions of many of these or understand the idea behind a few. No biggie really, more fans is good thing in the end.

But I agree about the rivalry part. That is why I asked the question about what is a rivalry. I think a lot of times they are media and fan created rather than having any real merit.

Which gets 100X more amplified when referring to ND.

Teams can claim whatever rivalries they want, but if your rival is a bad team, it doesn't make the win any bigger. I really don't understand ND fans comparing schedules at this point...THEY ARE IN THE NC GAME!! If someone wants to compare schedules, Florida fans should be the ones complaining.

In all honesty that's just one of many things that irritates me about Notre Dame. It seems like every other game they play they have to make a self proclaimed rivalry out of to make themselves feel like they are still relevant in the grand scheme of things. Most of the time the other teams are like "we are rivals"? Yes, I'll give it to them. They are relevant this year. Next year will be a different story though... And the year after that... And for probably a few more years after that.

I mean they are always going to start off as a top 10 team, regardless. But they'll find a way to fumble and bumble their way through the season to a .500 record or worse 9 times out of 10.

Bowling Green, Missouri, LA LaFayette, and Jacksonville St were real threats to the UF program this year.

Nevermind they almost lost to Missouri and LaFayette.

I think there can be more than 1 true rival. But thinking UM, Purdue, USC, MSU, BC are ND rivalries is funny. But I think its fair to say tOSU/UM and UM/MSU would both be considered rivalries. Yes on different levels, but still rivals. Same thing for OSU/OU/Texas

Absolutely, like UF vs FSU vs Miami....Well until Spurrier got involved and killed the UM vs UF game. But FSU vs the other 2 is a huge rivalry.

Teams can claim whatever rivalries they want, but if your rival is a bad team, it doesn't make the win any bigger. I really don't understand ND fans comparing schedules at this point...THEY ARE IN THE NC GAME!! If someone wants to compare schedules, Florida fans should be the ones complaining.

Hello Notre Dame vs Navy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back