Plumb Bobbing Putts

CharlieMoy

Reaction score
Handicap
Dice
How many of you plumb bob your putts? I do.

If you dont know what I am talking about, see here:

Stand directly behind the ball or marker on the green. Hold your putter in your right hand (for rightie golfers) by the finger tips where the grip meets the shaft. Allow the putter to hang directly vertical from your fingertips. You want to stand so that your directly behind the ball in a straight line to the cup (with both eyes open) Holding the putter as I described, close your left eye (assuming your right eye is dominant.) With your left eye closed, and the bottom of the shaft on the ball, the alignment is going to change and the top of the shaft will be either to the left or right of the hole. That distance is your 'break' and you should allow that distance when lining up your putt. You need to remember though, that plumb bobbing will not take into account the slope of the green so if the green has a natural drop in any particular direction, you'll need to take that into consideration as well when lining up your putt.

Also does not work for double breakers.

Ive tried it in the past, but it did not work for me...mainly because I had no idea what I was supposed to be doing.

My grandfather does it, and he is one of the best putters I have ever seen.

I plumb bob Thain and you explaination is spot on. One of the biggest keys is being sure you use your dominant eye.

i do this...albeit when i can't 'see' the line on seemingly straight putts from 15-10 feet...

I started doing this last year. I had a GF who did it all the time and putted lights out. I asked her to show me how to do it. It really works and has helped me a lot. I think I probably look stupid though. LOL

I've never done it and didn't really know how it worked until reading that. I usually just try to see the ball travel to the hole in my mind's eye while I'm standing behind it. Interesting stuff.

My dad does it. Works for him, but not me.

I personally think its hogwash. That said, golf is a game of fragile mentalities and if it gives you confidence in your putting, then more power to those who do it! Its all about what makes the golfer the most comfortable and confident.

I like this thought on it:

http://blogs.golf.com/top100/2009/01/ask-the-top-1-1.html

I personally think its hogwash. That said, golf is a game of fragile mentalities and if it gives you confidence in your putting, then more power to those who do it! Its all about what makes the golfer the most comfortable and confident.

I like this thought on it:

http://blogs.golf.com/top100/2009/01/ask-the-top-1-1.html

If Crenshaw uses it as a validation, wouldnt it screw him up if plumb bobbing was invalid? If he saw a line and the plumb bob didnt validate it that would cause some confusion. Confusion doesnt jive with the title "greatest putter ever to play the game".. Good thoughts though.

I've plumb-bobbed my entire golfing life. My dad also does this. And, that's who I learned from. Occasionally, someone will make a funny comment. But, such is life. It works for me.

Regarding the amount of break, I generally double or triple what I plumb. But, I am a "die it into the hole" putter, which requires more break.

In recent years, I've tried to work on seeing the line w/o PB'ing. But, I haven't incorporated it into my normal routine. If I'm waiting on others to putt, I do both.

If Crenshaw uses it as a validation, wouldnt it screw him up if plumb bobbing was invalid? If he saw a line and the plumb bob didnt validate it that would cause some confusion. Confusion doesnt jive with the title "greatest putter ever to play the game".. Good thoughts though.

If ifs and buts were fruits and nuts then squirrels wouldn't go hungry.

I've got no problem with those who do it and believe in it, I just don't.

I don't use it only because I don't think I need it. It's definitely useful if you know how to do it and I think your description of it is pretty spot on.

I've never done it and never tried. Not sure if I will or not.

I've never used it, I feel like I can get a pretty good line with my set up now (down on one knee, looking down the center of the ball). Everyone says that routine is key, so if you feel like you have success with it, and it gives you confidence, then do it. For me, I never got in to it.

I have tried to do this but never really understood what to look for. Your explanation was great. But i dont understand why you would really need to do this? When I am lining up a put I just see a white line going from my ball to the cup just like in the TW video games...you guys dont???

I've tried it and I don't see anything when I do it. I'm probably doing it wrong, but for whatever reason it doesn't work for me.

I have not done it, nor have I tried. I consider myself to be pretty handy with the flatstick, so I may give it a shot just to see if it makes a difference.

I've plumb-bobbed my entire golfing life. My dad also does this. And, that's who I learned from. Occasionally, someone will make a funny comment. But, such is life. It works for me.

Regarding the amount of break, I generally double or triple what I plumb. But, I am a "die it into the hole" putter, which requires more break.

In recent years, I've tried to work on seeing the line w/o PB'ing. But, I haven't incorporated it into my normal routine. If I'm waiting on others to putt, I do both.
I can't wait to laugh at you when we finally get to play next spring..........:alien:

I have tried to do this but never really understood what to look for. Your explanation was great. But i dont understand why you would really need to do this? When I am lining up a put I just see a white line going from my ball to the cup just like in the TW video games...you guys dont???

Ha, I'm right there with you! And the red and blue moving arrows are out there showing me how severe the undulations are too.

I've never tried it and have no plans of doing so, it's not a knock on it but when I've played with people who do it, it seems to drag out a round pretty quickly.

I've never tried it and have no plans of doing so, it's not a knock on it but when I've played with people who do it, it seems to drag out a round pretty quickly.

How long does it take? This confuses me as I hold it up and have it back down in less than three seconds...

Ive tried it in the past, but it did not work for me...mainly because I had no idea what I was supposed to be doing.

My grandfather does it, and he is one of the best putters I have ever seen.
you know which eye is dominant?

the only time I hold people up is when I am the first to putt

tapping and talking from Tapatalk

I've never done it. Now, that you've explained HOW to do it, I may try. Off topic, I playe with 'one of those guys' who actually plumb bobbed from 130 yds in the fairway. He missed the green anyway!!

Plumb bobbing takes about the same amount of time as squatting down or walking around to look at the green. :) I usually do it while others are putting and use my marker instead of the ball. I don't spend more than a few seconds doing it. It just gives me an idea of the break but I don't rely heavily on it because it certainly isn't fool proof.

Back