True Blue - Morgan Cup Course - Tips, Tricks, Hole Thoughts

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Being that I am fresh off one of the most enjoyable courses I've ever played, I thought it would be a great time to put down my thoughts and hopefully gather some insight leading up to the Morgan Cup. True Blue was an excellent host to the 2nd THP Invitational and generated all kinds of thoughts while I played.. The folks working in the clubhouse and on the carts could not have been more friendly and interested in myself as a golfer, asking where I hailed from, and offered some advice on the greens prior to my round.

With that said, I'd like to share my thoughts on the round and each hole as I experienced them, and would love to hear the same from everyone else!

The conditions would be defined as off season, with what I am told are 'slightly slower' greens, along with wet fairways offering extremely limited rollout. Most of my tee shots and iron shots showed their landing area near where they came to rest.

FRONT NINE:

Hole 1: This played as a long par 5 for me. Playing 600 yards from the blue tees, very few can reach this in two. Driver is necessary off the tee, but I wouldn't concentrate on avoiding the left side as much as I would recommend concentrating on hitting the center. I left myself with about 150 yards into the green after my second shot, and found myself in the bunker short of the center pin. I wouldn't say this is a hole you would try to avoid either side of the green, however, getting into the 125 range for your approach is probably the most ideal option.

Looking from the fairway after the tee shot
20121208_101647.jpg

Hole 2: 342 yards is pretty subjective as the hole doglegs hard to the right on your approach. Short and right can cause trouble between bunkers and a tree in the center of the fairway/green line, so playing a safer shot out to the left center of the fairway with a hybrid could be the best option. This is a very deep L shaped green, so focus on finding the right tier.

from the tee
20121208_103223.jpg

The approach, adequately guarded by that tree
20121208_103655.jpg

Hole 3: 160 yards to the middle of the green is only really relevant if the pin is there. Yet another long green, the distance could span from 130 yards to probably 195. If the pin is up front, the green sloped down from the front so coming in high could be the best play. Should you find yourself in the front bunker, try to either flop or land on the fringe to allow rollout.

A great look at the front pin on #3
20121208_104657.jpg

Hole 4: All risk, little reward on this 523 yard par five. Playing down the left side is not terribly advantageous and I would encourage shots shots to 100-150 to be smart. Even with that work, you will still want to avoid the large top tier that simply will not stop at the hole if it is cut on the high end. Playing to the lower section and putting up the hill is about as smart as it can get.

the look across the daunting water of #4
20121208_110805.jpg

Hole 5: This was a pretty routine hole for me playing at 424. Hitting out to the right side of the fairway left about 150-160 to the hole. Length is pretty important for carrying the waste bunkers but the green is fairly level all the way to the back if memory serves. I played safely to the middle left side and putted to the back with ease.

The tee shot on #5, with the safer right side looking mighty enticing
20121208_112232.jpg

the safer right side looking to the green
20121208_112537.jpg

Hole 6: 404 yards with bunkers cut around 270 out, it may be advantageous to hit a three wood if rollout is occurring. If not, 260 is ideal for shot location, with an easy wedge to the hole. Aim just right of the trees and bunker lined on the left side of the fairway

Showing the sight lines of #6 off the tee
20121208_113557.jpg

Hole 7: What a doozy of a par 3! It played 168 and slightly uphill to the hole, this is NOT the hole to be left short of center due to deep bunkers. If the pin is on the lower tier, play a small fade into the hole from the absolute left side of the green. If it is on the higher tier, I have absolutely no idea how par can be achieved!!

The mistake of leaving the ball short on #7
20121208_120023.jpg

Here's a video of just how troublesome that tier is
[video=youtube;y-DjdXYD6IE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-DjdXYD6IE[/video]

Hole 8: I really enjoyed this hole. Only 363 to the hole from the blues and a big turn right, as long as you can clear about 200 yards, you can aim directly at the rock in the bunker and spray a drive (or ideally hit it straight). The small fade shot will leave about 100-110 yards to a green that sits above the fairway and slopes upwards. Avoid going after back pins because of the large drop into bunkers behind the green.

The tee shot with the bunker and rock for sight line on the right hand side
20121208_121128.jpg

Looking from the top of the rock bunker
20121208_121549.jpg

Hole 9: At 548 yards, it takes the perfect drive slightly right of center to have a real shot at going for the green in two. Avoid the slice on this hole as it seriously hinders any approach to an ideal number. The hole itself is guarded at 100-150 yards by a swamp area which will make your layup tricky, as well as the greenside bunkers blocking the front left and front right of the green. It may be best to play as close to the green on your second shot as possible, as you at least get to flop upwards to the hole from there.

I sadly didn't get a photo of #9, but plan to the next time I play!

I'll get working on the back nine shortly. I hope this is enjoyable and gives some good thoughts. I'd love to hear how you guys played the hole as well.

Check out the back nine review HERE

Last edited:
Really cool to see this. This research will pay off for Team Abatross.

Great thread dude. I love reliving that amazing course. So many great memories of this golf course, I cannot wait to get back there again.

Nice thread, Dan. It's fun to see the course through the eyes of a really good golfer. I mostly think "don't put it there - try for there" when I look at these holes.

Very well done...great idea!

Edit: Forgot to comment on the video of the green...too fun! Fun might not be the right word, but excellent use of video where a mere picture wouldn't suffice!

Did I say this was a great idea and well done?

Last edited:
Dan,very well done my friend! This subjective review will pay huge dividends to anyone headed down in July. Very very awesome job thus far

Chutting along

Really cool to see this. This research will pay off for Team Abatross.

and team dotcom i'm currently printing out your notes,,,,, thanks Dan!

Nice work so far Dan....it's nice to be able to see all those holes again...except that bunker on #7, I was down there too....NOT FUN

Great thread Dan!!! As one who will be at MC who has yet to play there and who was unable to attend this weekend I really appreciate you doing this.

Great thread Dan, there are lots of tips that can be given for True Blue. It is definitely a risk/reward course so it all comes down to how you decide to play it. Course management will be key!

Well done my friend. That course is just awesome looking.

Very cool Dan. Love the pictures.

Great write up man. I played the front pretty much as you did, but struggled with putting all day. So it could have been a much better day but when I make it back there, the course and I have a score to settle. Haha.

Good stuff Dan. An accurate assessment of the front 9 I think. Hope to see you dominate it come July.

Great write up!

I can't remember which hole it was that I hit an approach shot onto the green and thought it was perfect. I think it was about 8 feet or so right below the pin and it rolled all the way back off the green and down the hill. I ended up with a bogey instead of a birdie or par.

Awesome post and thread Dan. Having spent many hours on and walking this course, I feel I know it quite well, even though I have never once hit a shot on it.

BACK NINE:

Hole 10: At 584 yards, it was yet another easy decision to avoid going for the green in two. There is a wide open section of fairway straight away with a small miss to the left being suitable, at which point the hole turns hard to the right. An iron layup is a great play from there, favouring the left side of the fairway to avoid the bunkers running alongside the right side of the fairway, and avoiding having the bunker on the right side of the green on your approach. There is a big ridge at the mid left portion of the green as it turns to the backside which can help the ball stop and come forward towards a center pin, or a soft landing anywhere in the center portions of the tiers.

Sadly, no photos of #10, as I was having a bit of fun with fellow Morgan Cupper Buckjob on the 10th tee..

As I had noted, here's a video of the ridge I referenced above..
[video=youtube;eS7-FycNJIg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS7-FycNJIg[/video]

Hole 11: An awesome par three that has a large sloping green. For the blues, it played at 149 normally but I believe I played it at 165 due to the pin being well into the back tier. If you are short on this hole, you're forced to putt up to the top tier, which can make judging length very difficult. It seemed to me that missing right would be the greater of two evils here.

The look at the hole from the tee box, which is quite wide from left to right
20121208_131251.jpg

Looking at the green as we traveled behind it I had to snap this awesome pic of what happens when you miss to the back right
20121208_131507.jpg

Hole 12: 387 yards on this hole that plays slightly right of center after the drive. I would encourage anyone to stay along the left hand side of the fairway off the tee, as the larger trouble is off to the right, and the green is very welcoming from 125-130 on the left side. I didn't get a great look at this green as I was fortunate to leave this very close to the pin.

Blind landing zone off the tee, but trust in the yardage book and it's fine on the left side!
20121208_132318.jpg

Hole 13: It may be difficult to be successful on this hole, as if you're anything like me, your jaw will be dragging at the great design and attractive aesthetics of this hole. 397 yards to the center of the green, but an open fairway even on the left hand side past the waste bunker which juts out from the tee box. I would encourage an attempted draw played directly at the center of the fairway with lots of power, with the goal of putting a wedge in your hand. Upon approach, really get a good look at the pin colour and your marked tiers because the green is predominately blind on approach. In short, this hole is challenging and beautiful, but it can sting if you're not careful!

From the tee, it's more welcoming on the right hand side, but don't be too fooled to avoid hitting at the center!
20121208_133949.jpg

Looking from slightly left of center fairway on approach. Notice the green being hidden..
20121208_134653.jpg

Hole 14: This par three plays beautifully below tee level, but I would be careful how much you let the ball sail in the open air! A miss on the back left is not all that taxing for a back pin, but missing on the wrong side of the frontside bunker could prove troublesome. Getting on the green is obviously the focus on all greens, but looking back, I think hitting to the wrong side of the green could in fact be the best miss -- not something I'd say about a large number of the greens on this course.

As you can see, it's probably best to just hit it to 10 feet every time.
20121208_135520.jpg

Hole 15: Another crazy long par 5 at 590 yards, this is a tee shot you want to just keep safe. Hit to whatever allows you to get to a wedge on your approach shot, as the false front leads a good ways up the green. In fact, I watched someone hit it safely onto the green by a good margin, only to watch the ball fall slowly backwards and off the hole into the gut.

Nice gapping will make this a relatively easy hole if you're smart about how you play it.
20121208_140657.jpg

Hole 16: A stunning par 3, but playing long. 205 on the scorecard, this is a full long iron with the intentions of avoiding the beautiful beach-like bunker on the front right side of the green. As crazy as this sounds, if you're going to miss this green at all to the right, you may as well get the ball wet, with the drop area being on the back fringe. If not, play to the right tier and escape grinning with a par!!

Stunning hardly does it justice
20121208_142759.jpg

Hole 17: This hole is trouble. At 427, you really have to go after the ball to get a wedge in hand for your approach to a large, sloping green. For shorter hitters or guys who make a mistake off the tee, make a mental note that the water does extend well out, and layups need to be placed appropriately. If the pin is on the back side of the green, you can use the far ridge as a backstop to bring the ball back to the hole. It's unreal.

The right side is inviting off the tee and it should be. Play it out there for a straight forward approach
20121208_144104.jpg

Hole 18: A beautiful finish to a beautiful golf course. 419 yards to center, but more likely 400 if the pin is up front and guarded. Get ready to play a safe but long drive to the center of the fairway, and draw an approach shot into the hole. I only experienced the pin up front, but with that, you can definitely utilize the ridge directly behind the front edge to stop the ball and filter it back towards the hole. Just make sure you get the right distance! The miss is NOT ideal here!

Looking back towards the fairway from the green
20121208_151312.jpg

First thing in the morning, looking from the gallery
20121208_080346.jpg

Hope you guys and gals enjoyed! I know I did. Can't wait for more thoughts.

Last edited:
Great write up!

I can't remember which hole it was that I hit an approach shot onto the green and thought it was perfect. I think it was about 8 feet or so right below the pin and it rolled all the way back off the green and down the hill. I ended up with a bogey instead of a birdie or par.

If I was a betting man, I'd say that would have been #15.. The long par 5. What a mean front!

Nice job on the write up. I miss this place something fierce.

Great thread Dan, I love the idea and will for sure appreciate the info.

Thanks for making this thread. Would have killed for this last year. I wanted to know everything I could about TB, but there just isn't a ton of info out there.

great freaking thread buddy, some great pics and some solid insight, will definitely give people a taste that havent played there before.

Id rep you, but I gotta spread the love

Course looks stunning! Can't wait to be there in July.

The only tip I can add is... Don't miss. Any shot. At all. There are only a few misses imo that provide you with any reasonable shot at recovery. Had I not been hitting a bright yellow Vision on a couple holes, I'd have never found it in those greenside talcum powder traps.

Back