Cellphones on the Golf Course

Someone I work with is glued to his phone 24/7. We would go out to play 18 & he would constantly be on it. Got to a point where I told him to turn it off or I was tossing it in the lake. He only has 1 person call him & that's his gf, she would call every single hole to see where he was.:bicker:

Some of our senior citizen friends probably think they have the right to silence everyone's cellular behavior because most of them don't know how to use one and feel left out!! :eek:n-the-phone:

I'm in my 60's, have an iPhone and know how to use it. I can text, e-mail, view attachments, and yes, even make calls from the thing. It also has tons of apps that I find useful as well. Being old doesn't necessarily mean I am not tech-savvy. I never thought that in my 60's someone in their 30's would call me for help with their computer because it quit working, but it happens quite often.

If you can't keep the conversation short and sweet you probably should be taking care of whatever business it is you're discussing instead of playing golf. Otherwise they don't bother me. My employer owns the one I carry (silent or vibrate on the course) and expects me to respond in a timely fashion.

I keep mine in my bag and on vibrate or silent. I will probably only check it if there is a backup or maybe at the turn. Usually I forget about it until I am getting my wallet and keys out to get ready to leave the course.

I keep mine in my bag and on vibrate or silent. I will probably only check it if there is a backup or maybe at the turn. Usually I forget about it until I am getting my wallet and keys out to get ready to leave the course.

This is me. I never even think about it until I put away my GPS (it's stored in the same pocket where I carry my phone and keys when I'm playing). By then I'm usually in trouble if my wife has tried to call and I haven't called her back...:confused2:

My phone stays in the car when I play.I wish more would do the same.It's so annoying to hear a phone ring during my swing or whn trying to make a putt.

This is me. I never even think about it until I put away my GPS (it's stored in the same pocket where I carry my phone and keys when I'm playing). By then I'm usually in trouble if my wife has tried to call and I haven't called her back...:confused2:

I do much the same, except my wife has decided it isn't worth the effort to fuss about me not calling back. I turn it on silent when I get to the course and don't return it to full function until I get it out of my bag.

I also think that it is rude to carry it with you when you attend meetings. I leave mine in the truck if I am meeting with someone so it cannot disturb us. When a salesman shows up in my office with his iPhone or Blackberry and starts checking messages during our conversation, he is much less likely to get any of my business. When I purchased a cell phone (and I have had one since they had to be mounted permanently in your vehicle) it was for my convenience and not an agreement to give the entire world instant access to me, 24/7.

Here's another extreme example. A couple of weeks ago I was playing alone at about 5:30 PM. I caught up to two twenty-something guys on the third hole. As soon as we all hit our drives the two guys (who of course rode together) began texting. With every reply they separately received they just started howling and carrying on. (They never did it while I was hitting and they always knew when it was their turn to play) But the carrying on and hyena laughter continued to the point that I excused myself and went back to the first tee and ended up playing some cross country golf.

So it just isn't the back and forth of the spoken word that's irritating. The written word can have effects that are just as irritating.

I'm in my 60's, have an iPhone and know how to use it. I can text, e-mail, view attachments, and yes, even make calls from the thing. It also has tons of apps that I find useful as well. Being old doesn't necessarily mean I am not tech-savvy. I never thought that in my 60's someone in their 30's would call me for help with their computer because it quit working, but it happens quite often.

I'll be 64 on the 24th. That was meant tongue in cheek as a little zinger to our less technically oriented oldies.

I'll be 64 on the 24th. That was meant tongue in cheek as a little zinger to our less technically oriented oldies.

I knew you were kidding.... I just couldn't help myself. Glad to know I am not the oldest guy on the site....:D

I knew you were kidding.... I just couldn't help myself. Glad to know I am not the oldest guy on the site....:D

Thanks for that C-tech. Just take comfort in knowing that in four years you'll be walking down 18 mumbling to yourself and drooling and trying to learn how to work a cell phone. :D

Thanks for that C-tech. Just take comfort in knowing that in four years you'll be walking down 18 mumbling to yourself and drooling and trying to learn how to work a cell phone. :D

I do all that now except I can still operate the cell phone.:D

I usually play golf alone, so there is really no need for me to set my phone to vibrate or silent.
However, on the rare occasions where Im playing in a group with other people, I will set my phone to silent.
Id hate for my phone to ring when someone is in the middle of their swing and have it mess them up. I know that some people find it very annoying, so Id definetly be respectful of them.
In my case, the instance of a call or text being a life or death matter is very rare, so its not that big of a deal.
My current girlfriend is pretty cool in that she views my time on the golfcourse as, "me time" and she wouldnt text or call me when Im on the course unless it were an emergency.

I always have my cell phone, but it is always on Vibrate, important for business. I do get annoyed when others are taking calls while hitting a driver. do your calls while your in the woods looking for a ball or driving in the cart. This is what I do, never interfere with anothers game!

Actually that is pretty impressive!!! I imagine you would have to be wearing a bluetooth device to accomplish that!!:D

Don't get me started on THOSE things! I have one, but I don't think it is necessary to wear it every waking hour. I am just surprised I haven't seen someone wearing it in Church yet. Why don't these people just get a tattoo across their foreheads that says "Techno-dork"?

I noticed a guy the other day with a bluetooth device in his ear. The outside of the device was nicely done in Ostrich leather!!! I actually got sick to my stomach. Watch for the diamond-studded bluetooth device coming soon to stores everywhere.

Worlds_first_Diamond_Bluetooth_headset_1-thumb-450x535.jpg

Don't get me started on THOSE things! I have one, but I don't think it is necessary to wear it every waking hour. I am just surprised I haven't seen someone wearing it in Church yet. Why don't these people just get a tattoo across their foreheads that says "Techno-dork"?
I especially hate when people with long hair wear those things because you cant see they are wearing one and then you think they are talking to you. Then, if you repond to them, mistakenly thinking they are talking to you, they act like you are an idiot.
Reminds me of that beer commerical where the guy thinks that hot chick is asking him out, but she is just talking to a friend on her hands-free. :D

Heck, it used to be you could count on anyone walking down the street talking to air as being mentally ill.

Just like you could count on anyone covered in tattoos as being an ex-con, and any woman in a really short skirt, low-cut top, and high heels as being a hooker.

Life has gotten so confusing...

I think some people think it makes them look "important" to wear one. I think they look stupid.

That, or doctors are starting to prescribe them to their patients who hear voices in their head or talk to themselves so they don't look quite as crazy in public.

OMG!!! Glad I saw it on here and not on an ear.......much more gentile to lose your lunch while at home as opposed to out in public.

I'm glad everyone so far has the same opinion of the over the ear bluetooth things. I hate them. I do have bluetooth in my vehicle, but it goes through my GPS speaker.

OMG! I'm not gonna be able to show this to the wife. She has this overpowering attraction to anything that sparkles with bling...... If she fell in the pool now the weight would drown here.

Back