Too hot for golf?

Johneli

Reaction score
Handicap
I live in South Florida where the temps lately have been in the mid to high nineties and the humidity unfathomable. I took a lesson Tuesday at 7am. When the lesson was over at 7:45 I hit a few more balls that the pro had left for me. By 8am I was soaking wet from head to toe. Right now it's 96 degrees (at 1pm) and the humidity is crushing. I can barely breath outside. HOW DO PEOPLE PLAY GOLF DURING THE DAY IN THIS KIND OF WEATHER??!!!

Do any of you live in a climate that makes summer golf er uh....challenging?

Last edited:
Florida. And I love the heat...hehe
I really do love playing in the heat and humidity. I will take this over the cold any day.

Florida. And I love the heat...hehe
I really do love playing in the heat and humidity. I will take this over the cold any day.

Yeah well...if given the choice I would take the heat as well, but there's something about going through four golf gloves in a round that doesn't appeal to me. I can only imagine what it would be like if I were heavier (I weigh like 155)

I could look at your profile, but alas too lazy. Where do you live in Florida?

I'm not fond of playing in the heat, well really the heat and humidity. Even if I'm riding - I start to wilt.

I live in South Florida where the temps lately have been in the mid to high nineties and the humidity unfathomable. I took a lesson Tuesday at 7am. When the lesson was over at 7:45 I hit a few more balls that the pro had left for me. By 8am I was soaking wet from head to toe. Right now it's 96 degrees (at 1pm) and the humidity is crushing. I can barely breath outside. HOW DO PEOPLE PLAY GOLF DURING THE DAY IN THIS KIND OF WEATHER??!!!

Do any of you live in a climate that makes summer golf er uh....challenging?

Alabama the humidity and heat is just as bad or worse, but I do not let it bother me. The reason I do not maybe because I work 35 plus years as a construction project engineer in all types of heat. Also work in paper mills for years were heat around and under the paper machine is just as bad or worse that being outside.

Going to be 105+*F here today, and I will playing later. Of course the humidity is under 10%, with a 5-10 mph breeze, which makes it even better. I was in Texas a few months ago, and I remember the humidity made play uncomfortable, but I was still having a good time playing golf. I have played in some pretty low chill factor temps in northern Nevada. With intermittent ice, snow and rain blowing side ways in 0*F weather put a new perspective on "guts" golf. I'll play in just about any type of weather, except very high wind speeds, and electrical storms.
:clapp:

heat yes, humidity not so much (sometimes)

JB and I live in Tampa, FL. He seems to be ok with the heat. I don't really mind the heat but the humidity is sometimes too much for me. I feel like I can't breath. But I would rather the heat then playing in the freezing cold, that doesn't sound like fun at all.

and here I originally hoped to open this thread and see some pics of the LPGA's "easy on the eyes/ members!!!!

Saint Louis is kind of a funny animal. We get the worst of both worlds, hot and very humid in the summers and the winters are cold.

Tucson in the summer!!! Last night we had a huge Monsoon storm that raised our humidity into the 55% range. The temps here today should top out around 105, so it will be a little uncomfortable. I can take the heat as long as humidity doesn't come with it. Normally, our humidity will range in the teens, so it is not bad, particularly if there is a breeze to accompany it.

My rule is that I walk under 106 and ride over that. If the humidity is up, riding starts below 100. I lived in Arkansas up until last year and we would have temps in the upper 90's with humidities in the mid-80's to mid-90's. That is really miserable.

Live in Orlando and I LOVE summer golf! It's our off season and the rates plummet! Not to mention, if you play two rounds over the weekend, you're very likely going to lose 4lbs. The hotter the better I say :) Cold golf just play stinks.. can't feel your hands, toes went numb, jacket to so bulky that it throws off your swing.. nah, you can have that..:cool:

Cold golf just play stinks.. can't feel your hands, toes went numb, jacket to so bulky that it throws off your swing.. nah, you can have that..:cool:

I play better golf when it's cold. Since I'm wearing more layers, I'm a bit more restricted so I don't go back as far. It really helps me.

I play better golf when it's cold. Since I'm wearing more layers, I'm a bit more restricted so I don't go back as far. It really helps me.

Why don't you invest in one of those back braces for people who have had back surgery. It should serve the same purpose as the extra clothing and has the added advantage of gaining the sympathy of all your playing partners.:D

Live in Orlando and I LOVE summer golf! It's our off season and the rates plummet! Not to mention, if you play two rounds over the weekend, you're very likely going to lose 4lbs. The hotter the better I say :) Cold golf just play stinks.. can't feel your hands, toes went numb, jacket to so bulky that it throws off your swing.. nah, you can have that..:cool:

Our rates drop like a stone in the summer also. I played a course that is $125 during the winter for $19 last Sunday, including the cart. I may play this Sunday on the Accenture Match Play course that is normally $225 for $50!

It is hot here, but if you drink lots of water and wear the appropriate sun gear, you will be fine even in the heat of the afternoon.

85 and low humidity is perfect golf weather. But I would much rather play in 105-100 than in 55-60.

We go out to Scottsdale every summer and play golf in the mornings. Not a problem at all. One great thing about playing in that heat is the reduced prices!

I agree high humidity in addition to heat is something I would avoid.

85 and low humidity is perfect golf weather. But I would much rather play in 105-100 than in 55-60.

We go out to Scottsdale every summer and play golf in the mornings. Not a problem at all. One great thing about playing in that heat is the reduced prices!

I agree high humidity in addition to heat is something I would avoid.

I prefer 55-60 over the heat & humidty. Unlike your area our tee times rise when it gets hotter & drop like a rock once the weather cools off.

golf just play stinks.. can't feel your hands, toes went numb, jacket to so bulky that it throws off your swing.. nah, you can have that..:cool:
haha ya! last year my first match in late april was 42* with 18-20mph winds and drizzle rain.....................i pretty much froze :excruciating:

When its really hot and humid, I break down and rent a cart. I normally hate using a cart, but Im not going to not play just because its hot out.
Shorts definetly help too. I used to be strongly against shorts on the golf course, but I recently bought a pair of plaid shorts for golf.
I must admit, its lot cooler with shorts.

I golf in shorts form May thru October (usually). Those change to April and November if I get lucky. (Although April and a lot of May is usually too wet to golf for me - - - this year for sure).

I don't play in the heat. I'm a pansy. Mornings or evenings are fine, and during waves like this current one, patience is a virtue.

105 here today started late played till 2:00 pm It was awful. But I'll be out there again sat. Love of the game I guess

It can get around 105 here in the summer time. Ive gone out a couple of times with weather like that, I just rent a cart. It usually makes for a quick round.

Back