Official MLB Baseball Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This one always makes me laugh. Its the Giants trophy case.
images

Kinda like the photo of Los Angeles NFL franchise, huh?:

photo.jpg

Last edited:
So im assuming Roy Halladay is officially on the market. From what I have heard on the radio the Phillies and Angels are leading the charge. I also heard one of the kickers is that the team getting Halladay would have to eat the contract and take Vernon Wells off there hands. This seems like a bad step for baseballs popularity in Toronto.

Sure is TGM. Just heard on ESPN Radio that the Wells thing is not definate if they get 3 prospects in return. We heard Angels, Phillies, Cubs, and Rays. Rays have the prospects but his contract could kill them. Cubs have said just now that they are open to picking up a pitcher.

Get him out of the AL East! :D

I dont see them keeping him in the AL East. Gammons just said that if he were in the NL, he would have an ERA under 2.

Sure is TGM. Just heard on ESPN Radio that the Wells thing is not definate if they get 3 prospects in return. We heard Angels, Phillies, Cubs, and Rays. Rays have the prospects but his contract could kill them. Cubs have said just now that they are open to picking up a pitcher.

With Dempster hitting the DL now, I could see the Cubs getting in on it. They keep mentioning the Dodgers, but this doesnt seem like our style. The White Sox could be the dark horse, they already tried to get Peavy and Oswalt, why not Halladay? These are the kind of moves small market teams have to do to survive.

Steve Philips then just chimed in with "if he went to the NL it would have been like when Clemens did and Sabathia did and just dominate. It is what teams like St Louis and the Cubs need."

Blue Jays GM J.P. Ricciardi told Joel Sherman of the New York Post that he won't provide teams with a window to negotiate a contract extention with Roy Halladay in the event that the Jays deal their ace. Ricciardi made a variety of points about potential trades:

-The Jays have only had preliminary talks with other teams and they're still trying to decide which teams to assign their scouts to.
-The Jays would like a shortstop, but they'll pursure the best prospects available.
-The team would have no trouble paying Halladay in 2010.
-Halladay did not ask the Jays to move him.
-Halladay provided a long list of places he wouldn't play, but Ricciardi didn't name any teams.
-The Jays value Halladay as a top player in the game so Ricciardi has a gut feeling he'll keep his ace this summer.
Ricciardi says it's unlikely the Jays will keep Halladay after his current deal expires:

"We have kept him from free agency twice and I don't think we have the resources to keep him from free agency a third time."

EDIT* Sorry Ricciardi On Halladay : MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

They got burned bad in the draft picks thing with AJ Burnett. They will not let that happen again. However he too has a no trade clause.

I'll take him. We have plenty of prospects that we could move. Our AAA and AA teams are both pretty stacked right now with guys that have no where to go.

Buster is reporting that the Phillies are the front runners with Drabek and Happ, and another prospect. However he said that he believes that this deal will actually probably not happy this year.

I'll take him. We have plenty of prospects that we could move. Our AAA and AA teams are both pretty stacked right now with guys that have no where to go.

Man, if Carpenter stays healthy, that would be a ridiculous 1-2. Just like the old Toronto days except they would both be good.

Holy crap, thats a pricey mistake.
Blue Jays release $47M closer Ryan
Associated Press

add thisRSSblogemailprint Updated: July 8, 2009, 6:40 PM EDT
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) - The Toronto Blue Jays have released one-time closer B.J. Ryan and activated current closer Scott Downs from the 15-day disabled list.
Must-read:
Perry: MLB midseason awards
Marvez: Super Bowl halftime favorites
Must-see:
Kriegel: MMA lacks superstar names
Kobe, Magic honor Michael Jackson
Top headlines:
Police: McNair deaths a murder-suicide
Lance 2nd overall after Tour stage 5
NASCAR: Ban 'drug-impaired' Mayfield
All of today's top stories >>
Worth a thousand words:
Michael Jackson memorial
Wild action from Daytona
Maxim's Hometown Hotties
View more photos >>
Toronto announced the moves before Wednesday night's game against Tampa Bay.

Ryan has struggled this season, going 1-1 with a 6.53 ERA in 25 relief appearances. The left-hander allowed 22 hits, including five homers, and 17 walks over 20 2-3 innings.

"It was one of those things with Downs coming back and us needing to make a move, he was the 12th guy on the staff right now, it's probably best for both parties," Toronto assistant general manager Alex Anthopoulos said. "A few days ago I think you saw in the media that he expressed some frustration of not being able to pitch more and be used more. We couldn't get him the work that he wanted."

Ryan had mainly been used recently in blowout games. The 33-year old is in the fourth year of a $47 million, five-year contract.

"He was a pro," Anthopoulos said of Ryan's reaction to the decision. "He understood. It's never a fun thing to do. It's never a fun day, but we thanked him for the years he had been here. He has a chance to move with his career, hopefully latch on with a team that can maybe give him more of an opportunity to pitch more meaningful innings."

Ryan wasn't the same after undergoing left elbow ligament replacement surgery in 2007. He did have 32 saves last year with a 2.95 ERA.

"I wouldn't say it was a mistake," Anthopoulos said of Ryan's contract. "I think it's unfortunate he got hurt. The one thing you can never predict is health."

Downs had been sidelined sine June 17 by a left big toe injury.

Toronto manager Cito Gaston said Downs will probably return to his closer's role immediately.

Yeah, that came out earlier today. Teams like the Yankees and other big markets make mistakes like this all the time, but it does not mean much. However for a team like Toronto, this one hurts.

There was a interesting article in the LA Times on what it would cost the Angels to get Halladay.
A deal for Halladay would probably cost the Angels pitcher Jered Weaver, a top pitching prospect such as Trevor Reckling or Jordan Walden, top hitting prospect Brandon Wood and a young big leaguer such as Erick Aybar or Howie Kendrick.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-angels-fyi8-2009jul08,0,4995653.story

Seems pretty steep, but similar to the Bedard deal last year.

On a side note, im already sick of Rosenthal and Olney. I really think they make half of the crap up.

I listen to TK and Gammons. They seem to be the only ones that get stuff right.

I listen to TK and Gammons. They seem to be the only ones that get stuff right.

Ya they are good, I really like TK, im not going to try and spell his last name.:act-up:
I cant blame Olney and Phillips, I think ESPN really rides them to constantly have stories out all of the time. I guess its better then no news.

In last night's game, Mariner's led the Orioles 3-0 going into the 9th. They proceeded to give up 5 runs on 5 hits with 2 errors and lost the game 3-5.

:bad:

Just listening to a local sports writer here talk about the NL and the AL. For the love of God, can someone please explain why they still have 16 and the AL has 14? It was supposed to be evened out after the Brewers went to the NL via other "future shifts" yet it never happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back