Slope Rangefinders

Hogmaniac

Rhino
Reaction score
Handicap
Has anyone compared the Bushnell and the Leopold slope range finder? The reviw on the Bushnell on here had very high marks and was wondering if the Leopold was up to Bushnell's standard. I was looking at both of them and both seem pretty equal. A couple questions still remain. Does the Leopold's club suggester really work? Do the slope yardages in both really tell you the true distance? Just wanted to see if anyone had any input on the two models.

Thanks and Go Hogs

I have used both and had both during the testing. I look at it like this. Both are great tools, and both companies market them as the most used on tour. Still puzzled by that since according to the only trusted source, the Darrell Survey, Bushnell is the one chosen by the Tour players and it was not even close.

The Leupold worked quite well, but the club suggester did not work for me at all. It was more trouble than it was worth. I love the Tour V2 in both size, shape, and ease of use. It is the rangefinder I recommend to everybody that asks and I have tried just about every one of them on the market. I just find it easier to use than the Leupold. It also fits better in my hand.

The saddest part is that I have a Leupold that I bought a year ago based on other "reviews" and although I like it, since reviewing the Bushnell, I want one badly.

I guess I don't understand why anyone would want an illegal rangefinder. Unless you can afford both types, it doesn't make any sense to me unless you never play competitively. :confused2:

Fourputt,
In our testing we realized that less than 3% of everybody that tried them out ever play competitively.

What would be the advantage to this over the skycaddy?

Exact measurements to anything out there. THe ability to use it at the range. No yearly fees.

I see. Man they are a lot of money. I need something though to judge my distance with my clubs. Is there anything out there on a budget to help mark your club distance. The range is always moving the line around so you never now for sure.

Sure there are quite a few GPS units. Check out the Bushnell Neo that works VERY Well. We reviewed it on the main page.

Now that's more like it! I'll look into it. igolf doesn't have my favorite course but I guess they can map it out for you with an account. They have a lot of San Diego courses. Just not the one I like. the one with no gangsters...Ha!

Thanks again JB!

BA,
We had Igolf (Bushnell) map out a requested course for us and it took less than 3 days.

I've requested two courses to be mapped from GolfLogix, and both were done in a timely manner (not sure how long it took, but they were both mapped by the time I opened up the program again a few weeks later). The courses in question, were simply courses I have played in the past and may play again (but have not yet).

When we play golf in the Winter, there are temporary tees and greens so you can't use a GPS. The course we play also takes out the yardage markers. We have such a good time judging the distance and discussing it as we play. Since it's Winter, we also have to take the cold into account and there is often wind. I think range finders and GPS's are great tools, but I also think that you need to develop your instincts and course management skills when playing.

The temp greens would be a problem but the temp tees would not. The course takes out the yardage markers in winter? Why? I would think they might move them back to relate to the temp greens. I played the other day and the course had temp greens but luckily I had my rangefinder to use on those holes instead of the GPS. It's a crutch, but I have them so I will use them. It's much more fun since I got them compared to before.

The temp greens would be a problem but the temp tees would not. The course takes out the yardage markers in winter? Why? I would think they might move them back to relate to the temp greens. I played the other day and the course had temp greens but luckily I had my rangefinder to use on those holes instead of the GPS. It's a crutch, but I have them so I will use them. It's much more fun since I got them compared to before.

They take them out - they''re stakes and it might snow. Why more fun - do you play better?

Yes I play better. Knowing the right yardage can only help you.

I still don't get that they take them out? Just because of snow? (Heck they may do that here and I just never noticed!) But why do they take them out? The snow can't hurt them. If they are worried about them getting run over because people can't see them, there's too much snow to play anyway. . . I am just curious (and serious!).

I've never asked why they take them out so I honestly don't know.

Try to remember to ask this winter - - - I'd love to know. I'll ask around here, now that it's going to bother me until I find out! LOL

Fourputt,
In our testing we realized that less than 3% of everybody that tried them out ever play competitively.

I've never actually met anyone who owned either a laser or a GPS who doesn't play in club competitions of some kind. I don't know a casual golfer who cares enough about it to buy one. :confused2:

I own both a GPS and Laser and never play in tournies. I think it depends on location.

I do too. The only tournaments I ever play in are scrambles.

I own both a GPS and Laser and never play in tournies. I think it depends on location.

Interesting. While casual play is ok, I really don't get excited about golf unless it's a competition. I think I'll start a new thread....:D

I got a Bushnell V2 w/ slope for Father's Day.

So far, I think it's a super cool tool, but a couple of the readings I've gotten from extremely uphill reads (one course has the green 75' above the fairway, from the 150 stake to the flag, up a very steep hill) It gave me a bad 'corrected' reading. I should have clubbed up at least one, if not 2.

I got a Bushnell V2 w/ slope for Father's Day.

So far, I think it's a super cool tool, but a couple of the readings I've gotten from extremely uphill reads (one course has the green 75' above the fairway, from the 150 stake to the flag, up a very steep hill) It gave me a bad 'corrected' reading. I should have clubbed up at least one, if not 2.

Personally, for elevation I'd rather use my experience. I don't want any device to tell me what club I should be using. I'll get the distance measurement and then I factor in the elevation, wind, and lie just like I have for the last 30 years. Then when I'm wrong, I have nothing to blame but me....:dohanim:

JB I'm probably going to take up your advice and get the V2. See my problem is I have had the skycaddie going for a few years. I liked it alot at first, but lately it has really sucked. From 200 to 100 yards it works really well, but over 200 or under 100 its off big time. When your going for a 5 in 2 or deciding which wedge to hit this is a really big issue. Also yes I realize I can't use it during a tournament, but I'm not a PGA professional so that isn't a big issue to me. And hey if your gonna spend $400 for one why not go all out and get the latest technology for your game.

Thanks and Go Hogs

I've never actually met anyone who owned either a laser or a GPS who doesn't play in club competitions of some kind. I don't know a casual golfer who cares enough about it to buy one. :confused2:

I own a Golflogix & have never competed in golf other than scrambles which don't count.

Back