thedue

Another Day in Paradise
Reaction score
Handicap
I posted this seperatly, not on the Verison post below, because it's not really about Verizon. As a new poster, I hope thats ok!

I have several golf distance apps and love the concept, however I have a lot of trouble getting a good gps signal. My current app is TeeDroid, but have simply quit using it as the readings are off. It seems to be a well setup application with lots of great options, including a light that shows when you have a good gps signal. Problem is, I seldom get a real good signal. This is a wide open course in Nebraska.

I guess my question is, do I need to download a better gps (or something) for my Blackberry 8330, change carriers from Alltel, find a better app, or just forget it and buy a Rangefinder?

Thanks, TheDue

Due,
We have tested a ton of programs out on each and every carrier (except Alltel) and not one of them worked as well as the standalone units. We had trouble with signal on a few of them, had trouble with battery life on a few, but all the units gave us readings that were just not accurate all the time. They were extremely accurate about 2/3 of the time. That is just not enough.

It is all about the signal of the GPS and the software in each of these and while we think they are great options and will get better and better, in our testings none of them worked anywhere near to the extent of the standalone units.

Thanks JB, man that was quick.

I really like being able to get a lot of cool stats, as well as distances to everything, but just not accurate. Also, I'm seeing what someone called "Drift". After downloading my info and pulling it all up on a Google map of the course, I can see each of my shots. Problem is they are all East and South of the actual locations>

Oh well, seems like a lot of you like the Bushnells, lol

THere are quite a few GPS devices that are great. I have a skycaddie (it works but there are better) love the UPRO, and am currently testing the new Bushnell full color one.

The only distance electronic device I've ever used for golf were the gps units installed in a golf cart. I use gps all the time in my boat and never have a problem getting a good signal.

All the options is whats really kept me from buying already. Accuracy and ease of use are my main wants, after that things get fuzzy. Price comes in some, but more in the way of getting the most for my money.

For ease of use, I have yet to find one as good as the Bushnell units. So many great features are integrated, but they are extremely easy to use.

Back