Votes: 10 25.6%
  • I live for the challenge of competition

Votes: 14 35.9%

• Total voters

Fourputt

Head Rules Official
Reaction score
Handicap
A comment in another thread got me thinking. How many of us just play golf casually and how many play in competitions? Not just high level tournaments but more than just corporate scrambles. Things like club competitions, local city and regional tournaments, charity or pro-am tournaments.

I have played in the Men's Club at my home course (public facility) for more than 20 years now... about 12 to 15 tournaments a year. I play occasionally as an invitee in a few member/guest tournaments at other courses. Competition is what really gets my golf juices flowing... casual golf is fine, good for a social outing, but it's competition that's really where it's at for me.

So how about you?

I play 3 times a week and never in competition. I play one member guest with my father each year and that is it. I enjoy the game of competing with the course and myself each time out and of course competing with others that I am playing with each round.

But I find competition golf extremely slow and I do not appreciate the game like I do when I am just playing. Too many sandbaggers, cheaters, and other things have ruined that aspect for me.

In the end, I say it is up to the individual to find out what works best for them personally. I love that some of you compete. Its a way to "get up" for golf when just regular golf is not for them.

Nah, I don't compete.

I see no need to publicly announce the fact that I stink.

I play 3 times a week and never in competition. I play one member guest with my father each year and that is it. I enjoy the game of competing with the course and myself each time out and of course competing with others that I am playing with each round.

But I find competition golf extremely slow and I do not appreciate the game like I do when I am just playing. Too many sandbaggers, cheaters, and other things have ruined that aspect for me.

In the end, I say it is up to the individual to find out what works best for them personally. I love that some of you compete. Its a way to "get up" for golf when just regular golf is not for them.

In a well run club the sandbaggers don't stand a chance. We've had them, but they don't last long. Once one is found out, our handicap committee adjusts his handicap and he usually quits soon after. It does take an active effort to keep it down, but we have the reputation of zero tolerance, so it's rarely a problem any more.

We also have our own slow play policy (in fact we are in the process of tightening it up), and we police that vigorously too. A few tournaments back I handed out 2 stroke penalties to 3 groups (12 players) for breach of the policy. We are revamping the policy because in our member/guest this year the times were so far out of line that the head pro wrote a pointed letter to the club president. I expect that by the next tournament we will have an even stricter policy than we have now.

I have played in a TON of corporate events and member guests over the years. (not anymore) and not one of them had I ever had a 9 hole match last less than 2 hours. I just have zero interest in it taking that long. Too much to do. As for the Sandbaggers, they always pop up each year. As do everybody that cheats. Sure they dont last and then the new group pops up. It just got to be less fun for me than playing on my own terms.

I have played in a TON of corporate events and member guests over the years. (not anymore) and not one of them had I ever had a 9 hole match last less than 2 hours. I just have zero interest in it taking that long. Too much to do. As for the Sandbaggers, they always pop up each year. As do everybody that cheats. Sure they dont last and then the new group pops up. It just got to be less fun for me than playing on my own terms.

That's too bad. In our club, with your handicap you wouldn't have to worry about sandbaggers anyway. You would typically be playing in the championship flight, and they usually play at scratch so you'd be competing heads up against others at at around your level.

We have more than 200 members in the Men's Club, and I haven't had to deal with a sandbagger in at least 6 years. Like I said, we have a zero tolerance.

As for time, my home course usually takes a bit over 2 hours per 9 holes for an average fourball even when it's playing well. I guess that playing most of my golf on a busy public course I'm not that worried about being out for 4-1/2 hours for a round. I know that a foursome can play the course in under 4 hours (I've done it often), but when the course is filled with players at 9 minute intervals, it doesn't take much for that to stretch out to 4-1/2 hours by midday. You must have the luxury of playing a private or at least a less busy facility

In our area in FL, there is a golf course on every corner. Our course is a nice but busy course, yet we play at 7am just so that our group can play in 3:15 hours as a foursome or 2 hours as a twosome. We play fast because we like to. We know it is not for everybody, but it is for me. I just do not like being out there for over 4 hours if I can avoid it.

I play in a few local charity events every year. Years ago when I was playing better, I would play in lots of local tournaments just for the heck of it. Various company outings were also in the mix. My home course men's club is infected with cheaters, and those who sand bag their scores. I play in some of those because the price is right, but I am not a member. It really got out of hand a few years ago. A lot of the members who played by the rules decided to take the "if you can't beat them join them" approach. These guys even fixed the raffle give aways so that non members didn't win any prizes. Fortunately that prize issue was exposed.

There are short game competitions that various courses run from time to time. I like those tournaments. I have even won a few of those.

I now play mostly for the exercise, and fun of it. I try to keep my game in some sort of shape so that when I travel and/or visit a new course, I can still play a decent round. :comp:

I only play 2 tournaments a year, mostly for my high school golf team. I don't really like competition. Although I would like to get in a couple to test myself, I didn't even get around to enter my club championship either. After looking at the winning scores, I could have came 2nd or 3rd.

I've only played in two tournament this year. Another one coming just for high school in September.

I only play 2 tournaments a year, mostly for my high school golf team. I don't really like competition. Although I would like to get in a couple to test myself, I didn't even get around to enter my club championship either. After looking at the winning scores, I could have came 2nd or 3rd.

I've only played in two tournament this year. Another one coming just for high school in September.

Your school doesn't play regular competitions against other schools? The course I play at has several high school competitions each year.

Last edited:
our school doesn't play regular competitions against other schools? The course I play at has several high school competitions each year.

We don't have scheduled matches against a different school persay, but just 2 big tournaments set up where 15-20 schools enter. 3 scores are added up per team with the 4th score (worst score) dropped.

nope. never. I'm just starting out so there's a good reason why I don't but to be honest...I don't think I want to either. My golf is not a casual or social event. It's a fierce competition inside me. One that excites me to no end. I think that was the hook for me.

I've played in charity tournaments, but that's it. I agree with JB - they take a very long time.

I think 4-Putt is right about the cheaters being weeded out, but only in clubs or organizations that have some oversight. My father and brother belong to a club and the other members don't tolerate it so the pro has had to intervene. If it's just some guy/woman showing up to play in a tournament being held at any course, there is no way to determine he/she is a sandbagger until you're well into the match.

I have played competitively in the past but don't anymore. I just go out there to have fun and socialize with my buds.

I play in a league and I try to play in as many golf outings as possible. If Im playing by myself just playing for fun, I find that I dont focus as much and dont push my limits; but when Im competing against others I get really serious about it and I really try to get the most of out of every shot.
Im a very competitive person and I hate to lose.

Can't wait until I can compete! Used to city tourny when I was horrid, but haven't since I'm a wee less than horrid.

I do have to agree on that.It's sad,but it happens more then one can imagine. Have quit the game many times because of it.I will not play in any net tourneys or flighted.It's heads up only or if you are a regular playing partner and we both know each others game,then I'll give strokes.Or if I know you from someone else who will vouch then I'll concede strokes.

I love competing.Love the anxiety and the tension of having to play well.If I make a few bogies,Have to find a way to get those back.That's the challenge besides playing Old man Par.

Match play is fun cause It's you and me and nothing else.I just have to out do you on that hole one hole at a time.One hole won't ruin the match.

I play competively and did so to improve my game. I have been playing for two years now and have noticed a good bit of improvement, but still have a long, long way to go. My initial thinking was that playing in tournaments would be a lot of fun, and it was and oftentimes still is but I am finding out that the realy enjoyment for me is playing with my friends and just socializing. I am seeing in the tournaments I have been playing that certain sandbaggers are starting to ruin it for others as well. These sandbaggers just want to win and could move up anytime to other flights but play just bad enough to remain in the lower flights. I dont understand that at all. My thinking is that I would rather be playing with people of like skills in order to improve my game. But these are just my two cents.

In a well run club the sandbaggers don't stand a chance. We've had them, but they don't last long. Once one is found out, our handicap committee adjusts his handicap and he usually quits soon after. It does take an active effort to keep it down, but we have the reputation of zero tolerance, so it's rarely a problem any more.

We also have our own slow play policy (in fact we are in the process of tightening it up), and we police that vigorously too. A few tournaments back I handed out 2 stroke penalties to 3 groups (12 players) for breach of the policy. We are revamping the policy because in our member/guest this year the times were so far out of line that the head pro wrote a pointed letter to the club president. I expect that by the next tournament we will have an even stricter policy than we have now.

Same thing with my men's club. No sandbaggers and no stragglers!

Besides these once per week competitions, I also play in the Tucson City Championships and plan on signing up for some of the AZ Golf Assn events this fall.

I play in a pretty competitive league which has 5 tournaments a year along with weekly head to head play. I like the competitive nature of it. After so many years of wrestling (about as competitive as you get), I have found that never really goes away.

I play in the occasional scramble that someone pays for but that hardly qualifies as competition. I wish I could play in some individual events but there are really only a couple in my area through the year and I don't belong to a club, the options are limited.

I just joined a League.

The idea of the personal rewards in competition is a big factor.

This league has, I am told between 30 and 60 active players, with HC from
single digits to 30+... good!
Also, they play _every_ sunday, which to me is important. It says they are very interested in what they do.
I was also informed that they wont put up with sandbaggers, cheats or people with less than good conduct.

As I get better (hopefully), I will try the area's "egolf" leauge, and any others I can find or qualify for.

Have been playing some scrambles, and have learned some course managment, and putt reading from the better players. Scrambles are the best alternative for me, as a "fun with freinds" type of play.

I see I answered this topic twice. lol Guess I will go mow the lawn.....

Last edited:
i'd very much like to. at 54 i'm not getting any younger, but my HI needs to drop 10 strokes first. i don't play in handicapped events because of too much sandbagging that i found just to frustrating to deal with.

if i can get my HI down i'd be able to compete straight up.

Back