ClairefromClare

Give 'em Helen!
Reaction score
Handicap
Brazilian
For your inner Ernest Hemingway:

Four injured on first bull run of Spanish festival: organisers

PAMPLONA, Spain (AFP) — Two Spanish nationals, a Scot and an American were injured Tuesday during the first bull run of the San Fermin festival in Pamplona in northern Spain on Tuesday, organisers said.

None of the injured were gored by a bull but fell while running through the narrow, twisting cobbled streets of the old town of the city pursued by the bulls, a spokeswoman for the festival said.

The two Spanish nationals were aged 21 and 31, she added. The ages of the Scot and the American were not given.

About 2,000 people took part in the bull run, which lasted two and a half minutes and was described by organisers as "fast and clean".
San Fermin, Spain's most famous festival, attracts tourists from all over the world. It began Monday and ends on July 14.

From Tuesday and each day of the festival thereafter, six bulls are released at 8:00 a.m. (0600 GMT) to run from their corral over an 825-metre (yard) course to the bullring where they face matadors in the afternoon.

Fourteen people have been killed since 1911 in the bull run, which is broadcast live on Spanish television.

The festival also features a range of concerts, street parties, dances and -- in some cases -- excessive drinking.

"In some cases." Yeah, right. They left out the part about the food fight as well. A good friend of mine is doing it this year. I'm reasonably confident he's not the injured American.

Okay, I'm clearly talking to myself here, but that's nothing new.

Today: first goring fatality in 14 years. One dead (Spanish national), nine injured. Of the injured, three were gored. Two injured Americans, one of whom was gored. They are identified only by age, which is given for both as 61. I suspect a fact checking error there.

My buddy ain't 61, but I'm keeping keeping my fingers crossed.

I no longer question what motivates people. These people are like the people who climb the stairmaster at the gym and then spend $60K+ praying a guide will get them up and down Everest. I have little sympathy for people that take on risks they're not prepared for and then wonder about the consequences. Hopefully, your friend is ok.

I'm totally sorry about saying this, but whenever they have the running of the bulls, I LOVE to hear about people getting gored, stomped on and even killed. I just can't imagine the lack of brains (not that these are stupid people, but come on now, they are taking a chance here and I can't help but hope they fail) it takes to get chased by a bunch of bulls ON PURPOSE! I just hope these people who die, died before creating another human who will share these people's genes. I'm sorry, but if someone is going to do this, I want to read the bad stuff that happens because of it. I love watching the video of the bulls goring people in the streets and throwing them around like rag dolls.

(I must be part George Carlin because he loved bad news too!)

Smallville - No need to apologize for things you enjoy.

Thanks Diane! I'm not sorry for thinking it, I was just sorry for saying it! hehehe

Now to find the video of the fatality!

[YOUTUBE]UUXBCdt5IPg[/YOUTUBE]

Eye on the TV
'cause tragedy thrills me
Whatever flavor it happens to be

Like:
"Killed by the husband" ...
"Drowned by the ocean" ...
"Shot by his own son" ...
"She used a poison in his tea,
Then (she) kissed him goodbye"
That's my kind of story
It's no fun til someone dies.

Don't look me at like I am a monster
Frown out your one face, but with the other (you)
Stare like a junkie into the TV
Stare like a zombie while the mother holds her child,
Watches him die,
Hands to the sky cryin "why, oh why?"

Cause I need to watch things die from a distance
Vicariously, I live while the whole world dies
You all need it too - don't lie.

Why can't we just admit it?
Why can't we just admit it?
We won't give pause until the blood is flowin'
Neither the brave nor bold
Nor brightest of stories told
We won't give pause until the blood is flowin'

I need to watch things die from a good safe distance
You all feel the same so why can't we just admit it?

Blood like rain fallin' down
Drum on grave and ground

Part vampire, part warrior,
Carnivore and voyeur
Stare at the transmittal.
Sing to the death rattle.

Credulous at best
Your desire to believe in
Angels in the hearts of men.
But pull your head on out (of) your hippie haze
And give a listen
Shouldn't have to say it all again

The universe is hostile
So impersonal
Devour to survive
So it is, so it's always been ...

We all feed on tragedy.
It's like blood to a vampire.

Much better you than I.

As best I can tell, there are two categories of folks who do this nonsense:
  • Young guys on a sort of extreme spring break, and
  • Older guys having their middle aged crises.
Still, my friend (category 2) appears not to have been injured.

Back