What's Your Favorite Non-Major Tournament?

Hogmaniac

Rhino
Reaction score
Handicap
A Hacker's Hacker got me thinking of this thread, so he deserves all the credit.

From the first time I watched the Players I feel in love with the feel and the prestige of the championship. To me it has everything that a major does, and no I am not one of those people that believes that it should be the new 5th major. That isn't fair to the game. If you give Tiger Woods another chance to win a major and add to his totals to pass Jack, it would void the record. The Players consistantly has the toughest feild of competitors and is home to one of the most difficult courses in the US. Also one of the great things is that you can play the course just like the pros do. I am one of those guys, as I assume alot of us here are, that want to tee it up from the tips and compare what I can do to the pros. I have had that chance to do that and it is an experience that I will never forget. From the champions only locker room, to the walk of champions, and the course itself the Players has it all. It is ranked right up there with the Masters in my book.

So what is your opinion on the matter?

Thanks and Go Hogs

I am a big fan of the FBR. I love the atmosphere because it is so different from other tournaments. I love the tradition of golf as being a gentleman and gentlewoman’s sport but how can you not love the rowdiness of FBR 16th Stadium hole? :banana: Thank goodness CBS does the coverage of this tournament because Johnny Miller would ruin the whole atmosphere.

FBR Open I love the 16th in particular. That is the one hole in all of golf that it is appropriate for the fans to yell "Get in the hole" IMO

EDIT: AHH beat me to it,hehe

For me, it's a tie between the Colonial (it's local, and has a rich history) and the WGC Bridgestone Invitational.

I love the old courses.

Mercedes in Kapalua or the Byron Nelson. I would have listed the AT&T except for all the dorkiness associated with the amateurs. I love the Pebble Beach course, but the Pro-Am aspect of the tournament just ruins it. The coverage stops being golf and starts being more like a movie premier.

It use to be the Michelob at Kingsmill before they did away with it. I had my spot on 16 that I would watch from from around 8 years, plus it was a course I have played a few times. The field wasn't that strong but it was always a good time.

Nowadays I would have to say the WGC at Doral or The Players Championship, both have strong fields on great golf courses.

No question it is either Doral or the WGC. Both are invitationals with the elite players in the world and both are very fan friendly. The Jamie Farr on the LPGA is close as well.

TPC @ Sawgrass. Only because I can attend. :D

...I love the Pebble Beach course, but the Pro-Am aspect of the tournament just ruins it. The coverage stops being golf and starts being more like a movie premier.

I couldn't agree more.

WGC at Doral. That was the first live event I ever went to and I was hooked ever since. It also always has a great field and it's just a few hours away from our house : )

WGC at Doral. That was the first live event I ever went to and I was hooked ever since. It also always has a great field and it's just a few hours away from our house : )

You mean hooked ever since a couple months ago???:D Talk to me after you've been 10 years in a row rookie:rofl:

WGC Match Play(format)
FBR Open(ive been there and played the course)
US Bank Championship(i live near it, go there annually)\

Last edited:
The Players Championship, "the fifth major".

I loved the HSBC women's match play. Match play is cool. But I love the Jamie Farr.

Solheim Cup even over the majors when it is a Solheim year. Michelob Ultra Open at Kingsmill for a yearly tournament. Gorgeous course and the players love it.

The Colonial, it's local and I have played the course.

Quail Hollow might be my favorite- great course and a great field. The Ryder Cup, yeah, I didn't even think of that, though.

Ryder Cup. In fact this is the one tournament I will watch more than the actual majors. After that it is any pro tournament I can walk at while watching the players play. :comp:

Quail Hollow...that course better get a major or the Ryder Cup in the next decade.

Back