Regional Delicacies

Some of the restaurants I like are:

Chinese - Hong Kong(take out place that has spoiled me so bad I won't eat anywhere else)
Mexican: Cancun Mexican Restaurant(hole in the wall with awesome food)
Italian: Tuscany Ristorante Italiano(bring your appetite and your wallet)
We use to have a restaurant called "Buckroe's" just down the street from me that was a locals hang out but I haven't been there in a year or so and they changed owners since, but it was a nice place to enjoy a meal overlooking the marina.

Toasted Ravioli...a St. Louis original. Had some frozen ones last night. Not quite as good, but still tasty. Also, the St. Louis style thin crust pizza.

I never understood the fascination with toasted ravioli or St. Louis style pizza.

BTW, wth is "provel" cheese?!?! It exists only in St. Louis and tastes like white American cheese. Ick!

I never understood the fascination with toasted ravioli or St. Louis style pizza.

BTW, wth is "provel" cheese?!?! It exists only in St. Louis and tastes like white American cheese. Ick!

I didn’t grow up in STL and don’t really get the fascination with toasted ravioli either. I don’t mind the thin crust pizza but I can do without the provel cheese. Since you are asking and we know wiki doesn’t lie…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provel_cheese

Here in the Bay Area we have lots of great places to eat. My personal favorite is Mexican food. With Mexican food you cannot judge a book by its cover, often the places with the best food look quite concerning from the outside. San Francisco has loads of great places to eat. I could suggest 5-10 excellent places to eat (Spanish, Mediterranean, Asian) . We also have lots of people who have moved from Asia so we have many excellent places to get great Asian food. Sushi is excellent along with some pretty authentic Chinese food.

I didn’t grow up in STL and don’t really get the fascination with toasted ravioli either. I don’t mind the thin crust pizza but I can do without the provel cheese. Since you are asking and we know wiki doesn’t lie…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provel_cheese

Well, that explains it.

Provel, like American cheese, is not legally labeled as simply cheese because it does not meet the moisture content requirements that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) holds for a food to be considered cheese.

Pizza is a funny thing - I'll eat a slice folded, but some people would never dream of folding it - I think it's easier to hold that way. I also like to pick up my pizza rather than use a knife and fork. Since I'm in CT, some places cut the pies into slices and others cut them into squares. I picked up a pizza the other day and one guy who was picking up his pizza too was quite mad to get a pie cut into squares.

There's a fella here in town that opened up a brick oven pizza joint. He worked in his fathers place up in Hartford, and makes some of the most heavenly thin crust pizza ever (Corky's Pizza)

Corky's Pizzeria

Pizza is a funny thing - I'll eat a slice folded, but some people would never dream of folding it - I think it's easier to hold that way. I also like to pick up my pizza rather than use a knife and fork. Since I'm in CT, some places cut the pies into slices and others cut them into squares. I picked up a pizza the other day and one guy who was picking up his pizza too was quite mad to get a pie cut into squares.

The best I can tell, true Saint Louis style pizza is cut into squares. Originally I thought it was pretty odd but I am used to it now, although I still prefer slices.

Gates BBQ, Arthur Bryants BBQ, Fiorella's Jack Stack BBQ

Is "In a Tub" only in Kansas City area? Don Chilitos (American-Mexican - - - well, they have Mexican things on the menu but they really aren't, but it's good stuff!). Christy's Tasty-Queen (Best Pork tenders and shakes/malts EVER). If you make it to Christy's call me and I'll go have a malt with ya, it's just up the street from me!). JeffAnn can vouche for this.

Is "In a Tub" only in Kansas City area? Don Chilitos (American-Mexican - - - well, they have Mexican things on the menu but they really aren't, but it's good stuff!). Christy's Tasty-Queen (Best Pork tenders and shakes/malts EVER). If you make it to Christy's call me and I'll go have a malt with ya, it's just up the street from me!). JeffAnn can vouche for this.

I almost forgot about "Go Chicken Go", mmmm tasty

I eat my pizza the same way, folded. I can't enjoy the pizza if I have to cut it up with a knife and a fork, who has time for all that when you are hungry? I always thought when it was cut into square it was Sicilian style, that's what they always called it in South Florida. I prefer the New York or CT style pizza the best. I am also ok with think crust every now and then.

I like my pizza crust just crispy enough so that I don't have to fold it, but not so crispy that it won't sag a little. Doughy is no good.

I almost forgot about "Go Chicken Go", mmmm tasty

Love Go Chicken Go! I always get extra rolls. The chicken kicks the Colonel's butt! Jacqui likes the chicken but doesn't like the "gravy" for the mashed potatoes.

Love Go Chicken Go! I always get extra rolls. The chicken kicks the Colonel's butt! Jacqui likes the chicken but doesn't like the "gravy" for the mashed potatoes.

Gizzards and jalapenos for me, haven't eaten there since we were building additions on some schools in the Turner district. I think it was around 635 and Metropolitan.:confused2:

That's right near me. Although the GCG place is at 635 and Shawnee Drive. Tried their gizzards. Didn't like them. Of course, I don't like any gizzards so it wasn't a surprise!

Was it the new high school MO? School has a pond in front of it?

That's right near me. Although the GCG place is at 635 and Shawnee Drive. Tried their gizzards. Didn't like them. Of course, I don't like any gizzards so it wasn't a surprise!

Was it the new high school MO? School has a pond in front of it?

Couple of elementary schools and built an indoor swimming facility at a high school, I don't remember a pond but it could have been. We did a lot of work in that area about 6 or 7 years ago, they kind of all run together.:D

Yeah the pool is at the new high school. I've never seen it up close. The middle school is the old high school and the elementary school is the old Junior High school.

Those are all real close to Christy's, hope you might have made it there one of the days! Greasy spoon but good food!

6a00d835146fbe53ef011279409f1a28a4-320wi

Yeah the pool is at the new high school. I've never seen it up close. The middle school is the old high school and the elementary school is the old Junior High school.

Those are all real close to Christy's, hope you might have made it there one of the days! Greasy spoon but good food!

Yeah we used to eat there too, good times. They make some amazing malts.

The owners are my neighbors. Their oldest son Darrin races out at Lakeside.

This looks like my kind of place! :banana:

I like to go to the birthplace of the French Dip sometimes before ball games,
Phileppe's.
20080917_LA_Phillipe_half.jpg

The Hat is pretty good Pastrami too.

Hat2.jpg

Tommys for chili burgers.

tommys.jpg

And Cupids for Chili dogs.

cupidsext.jpg

We have some amazing Mexican food too.

I'm a Chicago girl by birth and come down squarely on the Due's side in the great Gino's-Due's Chicago pizza wars.

WSE, you didn't mention white pizza in D.C. Never had it before moving there, and it's my favorite thin crust.

In this neck of the woods, it's Italian as far as the eye can see. I'd prefer a few other choices.

The thread on bbq got me thinking about regional food. When I travel, I prefer to eat where the locals eat and try whatever food the region is known for. So, if someone was coming to CT and asked me what we're known for - I'd have to say that the best pizza can be found in New Haven at Pepe's near Yale. It's the kind of place where you will wait in line for an hour on a weekend and the wait is well worth it. If I'm driving that way, I'll ask for a partially cooked pizza and pop it in the oven when I get home.

http://www.pepespizzeria.com/

Diane, Diane, Diane ...

Sally's is the best, bar none. Home Pepe's is good, but their pie doesn't stack up!

(For those that don't know, there is a huge ongoing debate about whether Pepe's or Sally's is the best. Truth be known, they are both great if you are willing to wait in line for hours. People literally stand in the rain and snow for this pizza.)

In CT I still love Harrys in West Hartford for the pizza. Some of the best I have had. Out of the two you guys are debating, I prefer Pepe's

Diane, Diane, Diane ...

Sally's is the best, bar none. Home Pepe's is good, but their pie doesn't stack up!

(For those that don't know, there is a huge ongoing debate about whether Pepe's or Sally's is the best. Truth be known, they are both great if you are willing to wait in line for hours. People literally stand in the rain and snow for this pizza.)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Sally related to Pepe and didn't the oven come from Pepe?

Back