JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
We have all gone through it with clubs. You pick up a new club and hit it pure and fall in love. You buy it and then 2 weeks later it feels the same as your old one that you replaced. I had a long conversation about this very topic with Dave Billings of Doglegright today. Doglegright was behind the HOG putters and of course now a THP Favorite Machine putters. We spoke about equipment changing and how it affects our game and he brought up a great point.

"When you pick up a new piece of equipment, you have a different kind of focus. You focus a little more and of course focus a little differently. It is not that the newer club is better for you, just different."

We spoke in depth about "equipment junkies" and why they jump from club to club and it seems that that is the very reason. He said "I see it in our studio, at the Haney complex, and with Tom Stites almost every month. Players hit the new club differently than they do their club, then they see them again a month later and the shot dispersion ends up back where it was prior."

It was a fascinating conversation that lasted about 45 minutes with a true ICON in the world of club making.

Slap me for this one, JB, but that is a really unfortunate thread title coming from someone who's been married less than three months.

I feel that with my irons. I just don't think I'm a good enough ball striker to hit them. Although they felt great when I first bought them.

Still going strong with my honeymoon with the R9 3W!

I thought this thread was about diabetes lol! I had a honeymoon period going from regular injections to the pump.....but that's a "hole" nother story.:clapp: I haven't felt that yet with my Callaway Diablo either, I hope I never will because I did spend a pretty penny on it. :)

• Admin
I bought my irons knowing that they were better than me, and I'm still having fun hitting them (6 months)

The rest of my clubs, I bought them for the long haul, and they're still working good. Sometimes I'll have a disagreement with a club, but after a while we always seem to work it out.

Putters though, it's not so much that I want to replace my Yes!, but more that I find them fascinating, and love to try different ones. I just wish I could afford to have several different ones around to monkey with. Some folks are this way with drivers.

I don't buy into the whole 'honeymoon period' theory myself. I don't get to switch out the equipment as much as most of you. So for me if I start off great with a new club, and it goes south, I try and figure out what I need to do to fix it. I can't go out and buy another new club just becuase one isn't working anymore. I try and make an informed decision and test as many things as I can. If a club starts to not work right, it is my fault and not anything about the club.

I don't get why so many people change equipment all the time. Not just the financial aspect, but the consistency. I got new irons last fall and I am just getting to the point where I am really comfortable with them. I would hate to have to do that every year or two, with every club in the bag.

You missed the point of the post STL. THe point was that people, according to this gentleman, should not be doing that at all. But that when trying new equipment they focus differently and it feels better.

Yeah, I know what you mean and i can relate to that, but i think that there is a notice difference between new and two year old equipment... I hit my 09 burner 15+ yards more than my HiBore xL. : )

I agree. However keep in mind that part of that is shaft length more than differences in the head. We love the 09 Burner but going off memory, it is 46.25 inches long.

Yes, with my FT-5. The first few weeks (this is last summer) were terrific ... now I'm wondering if I need something a little less spinny, as my fade has returned.

Back