Stack and Tilt - Experiences, Opinions, and Use

I've been trying S & T but have to work out some kinks, I went from hitting a slice/fade to BIG hooks with driver and woods and I hurt my back. But I can see it will help as my irons are much better, more distance and I'm getting them up in the air.

Are any pros still using stack & tilt? I know Mike Weir and Aaron Baddley have both "fired" Plummer and Bennett.

I dont think any of them are using it anymore.

PGA Tour
JJ Henry
Dean Wilson
Charlie Wi
Tommy Armour III
Eric Axley
Joe Oglivy
Alex Cejka

And Grant Waite who plays on the Nationwide

There are a few more but I have not gotten a complete list in a while. The guy that is closest to the model is Charlie Wi.

Mike Weir and Aaron Baddeley both went back to old coaches.

Axely and Wi both said at Transitions that they are not doing it anymore.

I've been trying S & T but have to work out some kinks, I went from hitting a slice/fade to BIG hooks with driver and woods and I hurt my back. But I can see it will help as my irons are much better, more distance and I'm getting them up in the air.

Overdraws are somewhat common when you first switch to using S&T. Better iron play is probably coming from the fact that you are compressing the ball better. It just takes some working out. Also if you are hurting your back then you more than likely doing something wrong.

Axely and Wi both said at Transitions that they are not doing it anymore.

Axely I am not sure about, but Wi is a surprise. Do you have an article or something? I had not heard that.

It was a conversation we had with his caddy while we were there. No big deal either way.

Overdraws are somewhat common when you first switch to using S&T. Better iron play is probably coming from the fact that you are compressing the ball better. It just takes some working out. Also if you are hurting your back then you more than likely doing something wrong.

Luckily I have R9's so I will just adjust them as they were set to make everything go left. Which obviously made the hooks worse. My back could have been anything as it's not in the best shape, might even have been bending down to tie my shoes though a bad swing is just a likley.

Well I just read through this entire thread and there sure is a lot of good Pro & Con information concerning the S&T…

I have been looking at the S&T methodology for quite sometime while attempting to learn the traditional method. I have been taking lessons over the last year and the last four months I have been working at Leadbetter. Upon first reading about the S&T, I thought it made a lot of sense for many reasons but also because I learned to hit wedge shots, pitch, chip and hit bunker shots leaving my weight on my left side. However, I kept working on the traditional method. Without going into a lot of details (physical), my challenge with the traditional method has always been struggling with stability and keeping my lower body quiet which leads to very inconsistent ball striking...:banghead:

Long story short, this weekend (day after working at Leadbetter) I was struggling really bad at the range…I had just read an article in Golf Digest about the S&T and decided to see what it was like and it was great...:banana:

I hit the last 50 balls in the bucket using this method just based on what I read in the article and noted the following things:

1) Consistent - very consistent (ball going at target)…no fat or thin shots and very good divots
2) Ball Flight - hit a slight draw…have always struggled hitting a draw using the traditional method
3) Distance - got my distance back….over the last year feel like I have lost distance struggling to learn the traditional method (probably because I was not doing it correctly).
4) Repeatable - went and practiced my short game (chipping and putting) for about an hour and came back to the range with about 10 balls and was able to pick up right where I left off hitting my 7 iron very solid

So for the most part I am hooked and cannot wait to hit more balls…I do want to take my Driver out and hit it as I did not have it with me the other day (I was planning on only working on irons that day) but based on what people wrote here and what I have heard I need to see how it works with my driver.

Bottom line for me is this method just seems to click with me and seems very easy to understand and employ…maybe it just flows better with how my body works or the way I feel the golf swing but if I am hitting the ball solid and at the target then I am happy…:good:

Thats good to hear ZM! I have been slowly converting over to the S&T and now that winter is here and the tournaments are over, I will be putting in a lot of range time to get it down. S&T just seems easier to learn then a traditional swing as it takes away probably the biggest issue with amateurs, lack of weight shift. Keep us updated on your progress.

There is also a lot of misinformation this thread regarding which pros are using it and not using it. A good source of information is on the S&T facebook page.

Thats good to hear ZM! I have been slowly converting over to the S&T and now that winter is here and the tournaments are over, I will be putting in a lot of range time to get it down. S&T just seems easier to learn then a traditional swing as it takes away probably the biggest issue with amateurs, lack of weight shift. Keep us updated on your progress.

Thanks and that is my goal as well to put in the range time to get as comfortable as I can before next season. Let us know how your change is going as well...hopefully we can learn from each other...:thumb:

PS Do you own the DVD or book on the S&T and if not are you planning on getting either?

Thanks and that is my goal as well to put in the range time to get as comfortable as I can before next season. Let us know how your change is going as well...hopefully we can learn from each other...:thumb:

PS Do you own the DVD or book on the S&T and if not are you planning on getting either?

I have the DVD. I may get the book also, but the DVD goes in depth really well and I am a better learner from video vs. the written word. I can say like others I had the hardest time incorporating it with my driver. I am probably a little different, as I have no problem with the weight shift with my driver and getting my weight to the left side, it is with my irons that I have this issue.

Well I wanted to report that I had a chance to practice last night and got to try the S&T again and THIS WORKS!!! :thumb: For me that is...all I can say is I maybe hit 8 balls funky through-out the whole bucket as I just stripped everything...including my new (used) Srixon Hybrid. I just find this method very easy to employ as follows:

1) I address the ball and immediately put 60-70% of my weight on my left foot.

2) I then take a slow practice backswing employing the left shoulder down, hands in and right leg straight approach.

3) I then re-address the ball...make my backswing trying to employ #2 above and then let it rip....I seem to not have to think very much about the rest of the way the S&T works as it seems to just fall into place through impact and into the finish

Like I said THIS WORKS for me and I am excited about my ball strking for the first time in a long time...:clapp:

Well I wanted to report that I had a chance to practice last night and got to try the S&T again and THIS WORKS!!! :thumb: For me that is...all I can say is I maybe hit 8 balls funky through-out the whole bucket as I just stripped everything...including my new (used) Srixon Hybrid. I just find this method very easy to employ as follows:

1) I address the ball and immediately put 60-70% of my weight on my left foot.

2) I then take a slow practice backswing employing the left shoulder down, hands in and right leg straight approach.

3) I then re-address the ball...make my backswing trying to employ #2 above and then let it rip....I seem to not have to think very much about the rest of the way the S&T works as it seems to just fall into place through impact and into the finish

Like I said THIS WORKS for me and I am excited about my ball strking for the first time in a long time...:clapp:

ZM, there are a couple of very good instructors in Florida depending on your location that can help you along your journey. The book and the DVD are helpful but not as valuable as seeing an instructor who can put you in the proper positions and help you if you struggle at times.

Good luck.

ZM, there are a couple of very good instructors in Florida depending on your location that can help you along your journey. The book and the DVD are helpful but not as valuable as seeing an instructor who can put you in the proper positions and help you if you struggle at times.

Good luck.

Thanks...yes I got have gotten word that P&B are going to be doing a S&T school here in Orlando in December and I am trying to find out more about it...that would be awesome to hear it from the very ones who came up with the swing idea...:thumb:

Any update on your progress with S&T? I got away from it over winter and due to some injuries couldn't practice much so in the mean time I purchased the book and re-watched the DVDs. My first 3 rounds this year were over the last few weeks and I had my highest scores ever recorded. My short game was outstanding as was my putting, but my mid-long irons and woods/driver were just horrible and costing me many strokes per hole. I couldn't figure it out and then just last week after getting out to the range realized I wasn't fulling committing to the S&T swing and really screwing everything up. After my last 2 range sessions I have hit the ball probably the best I ever had! At my range we have 8 island greens and I can pretty much put the ball on any of them within 200 yards or fairly darn close on the farther ones. I am very excited to get out on the course on Friday and Saturday to put my game to the real test. Got two mens club events this week and I feel a lot of skins coming my way if I hit the ball on the course like I have on the range.

Any update on your progress with S&T?

My update is that I had shoulder surgery in January and am still recovering...my doctor allowed me to start putting the week before last but that is all I am allowed to do.

Glad to hear your progress is going well and I cannot wait until I can get back to it…keep us updated.

I will say that one of the things that really works for me is that in the past when I would go to the practice range I would always wonder which swing was going to show up and it always seemed like I would have to start off trying to find my swing (some days better then others)…but with the couple of months that I used the S&T before my surgery I would go to the range and my first shot was stripped and that only led to confidence and consistent ball striking. Cannot explain it but this pattern works for me physically and cognitively. It just makes sense and I feel when I do come back of no ball striking for 3-4 months (depending on my recovery) that I am going to find my swing rather quickly.
:thumb:

I have no doubt this setup has resurrected my short game. I have no fear from 80 to 50 yards in now where it scared the heck out of me just a month ago. The stack & tilt works great for the wedge game at least for me. Putting 60 percent or more on my left left and hitting shag balls for an hour three days a week has brought my confidence back better than ever. I actually love being that distance now. Anyone having problems from under 100 yds in needs to practice the stack & tilt with their wedges. It really WORKS!

One more thing I might add here. If you get a case of the hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm "shanks" and can not seem to shake em, you are probaly hanging back on your right side a bit too long. This can cause the scooping, topping, chunking, and all the other uglies that you experience from not being balanced on those short shots. Please try keeping your weight on your left side on those short wedge shots from 75 yds in. It works for me and I sure hope it works for you as well. Happy golfing! :golf3:

Stack N Tilt

Stack N Tilt

I have been trying this swing now for about 18 months or so - although I "played" golf for about the last 20 yrs - I have only played regularly for about the last 2 yrs. In doing research (reading mags, web etc) I found this swing and basically self taught it to myself. I just got the vids from a bud who BUYS EVERYTHING cause he hated em. So far I am enjoying them quite a bit. The dialogue is a bit monotone but I prefer it to the "let's do this!!!" type of approach if ya know what I mean.:blob:
The problem with using the S&T swing is it makes reading your favorite golf mags kinda pointless as far as all the "pointers" go, as so many don't apply to the S&T swing

I have been trying this swing now for about 18 months or so - although I "played" golf for about the last 20 yrs - I have only played regularly for about the last 2 yrs. In doing research (reading mags, web etc) I found this swing and basically self taught it to myself. I just got the vids from a bud who BUYS EVERYTHING cause he hated em. So far I am enjoying them quite a bit. The dialogue is a bit monotone but I prefer it to the "let's do this!!!" type of approach if ya know what I mean.:blob:
The problem with using the S&T swing is it makes reading your favorite golf mags kinda pointless as far as all the "pointers" go, as so many don't apply to the S&T swing

i merged this one with a rather lengthy thread on S & T. hope that's ok? and fwiw, i never read the instructional stuff in the golf mags, i'm an article/interview, and witb fan myself so don't worry about that.

OK no worries - I just looked at the DVD thread to see if anyone else had used these and did not see a post there

I had started using the S&T swing and had some success, but sort of fell off the band wagon. I still employ certain aspects of it, mainly weight forward with my irons, but I found that I really wanted someone to work with me. Since there are no instructors in my area... I gave it up

Back