Jail Time for the Slow Play Rage Guy

Harry Longshanks

ILikeBigPutts&ICannotLie
Reaction score
I think this originally happened before THP started, so there isn't a thread on it.

Anyway, I don't think it's enough, but at least he got jail time.

Man gets prison term for golf club attack

090709_nicholas_shampine.jpg

SEATTLE - A 34-year-old golfer was sentenced to 21 months in prison Thursday for bashing another golfer over the head with a 6-iron during a fight on the Auburn Golf Course last year.

Nicholas Jay Shampine of Puyallup was sentenced after his conviction on second-degree assault charges in King County Superior Court. The prison term was at the high end of the sentencing range for that crime.

The victim, 45-year-old James Compton of Puyallup, was airlifted to Harborview Medical Center after the attack, which left him with permanent brain damage and memory loss.

Prosecutors have called the golf club used in the attack "a deadly weapon" that Shampine wielded like a baseball bat.

Judge Deborah D. Fleck said a prison term at the high end of the sentencing range is justified because Compton will suffer from the effects of the attack for the rest of his life.

"In my view, you have forever changed (Compton's) life," she told Shampine, "and it has had an impact on his family that is profound."

"You will be able to pay the price and then go on with your life. You will not suffer brain damage, emotional changes that preclude you from everyday enjoyment of life," she said to Shampine. "In my view, Mr. Compton and his family won't have that opportunity."

Shampine also will serve 18 to 36 months in community custody.

The attack followed a confrontation between two groups of golfers at the 14th green of the Auburn Golf Course in July 2008.

Prosecutors say the attack occurred after Compton's foursome became upset because Shampine's foursome was playing too slowly in front of them and complained to the golf course marshal.

Shampine said in court Thursday that he was rushing to defend his brother, who he said was grabbed by Compton during the argument. But he admitted that he went overboard in hitting Compton with a club.

"I felt that I did need to protect my brother ... and yet I'm sorry for the pain I've caused," he said to the judge.
I'm curious to know if (and by "if" I mean "how much") alcohol was involved.

And your out already Harry?

Any idea what brand of club it was as well as the loft?

man that's just plain crazy. The club was ruled a deadly weapon...maybe I should start packin' heat in the future. Two lives ruined over a game of golf. that's a crying shame.

That guy looks like some one who is going to give words "..it's in the hole..." new means once he gets to prison. The judge might be wrong about no " emotional changes.." :cool:

4 on 4 and you gotta use a golf club??? what a *****!! They should have given him more time and I hope he loosing everything in a civil suit.

4 on 4 and you gotta use a golf club??? what a *****!! They should have given him more time and I hope he loosing everything in a civil suit.

There's no way that guy has a job or assets of any kind.

That guy looks like some one who is going to give words "..it's in the hole..." new means once he gets to prison. The judge might be wrong about no " emotional changes.." :cool:

Ha! You got that right! He's going to State too. That's where all the real bad boys go.

That's really horrible, two lives ruined, one guy with permanent brain damage and memory loss.. all over freaking slow play!? Seriously.... This is pretty sad that this behavior occurs on the course...

They could send him over to run with the bulls. He'd look good with a bulls horn stuck someplace.

They could send him over to run with the bulls. He'd look good with a bulls horn stuck someplace.

I feel sure he'll end up with a "bull horn" stuck someplace!:D

Puyallup. What do you expect? Only a small step above Spanaway.

I'm not posting the dog story again no matter how much you like it.

No, no--Spanaway and Puyallup are just totally the pits. Lord, they're probably both giant meth labs these days.

poor guy playing behind a slow group and then getting beat up to boot. :zsimpsons: Hope the jerk becomes someone's caddy

Ah, the lovely Auburn Municipal. That's where our men's league plays on Thursdays. That place is notoriously slow on weekends and I am surprised this hasn't happened before.

Back