A Woman At Augusta - Good or Bad?

Diane

Reaction score
I just read the Golf Digest article about Billy Payne being more open to allowing women to belong to Augusta. Let me say for the record that I am all about equal rights and equal pay in the work force, but I'm torn on the private club issue. I'm sure someone will slam me for this, but why would anyone want to belong to a club that doesn't want them? Private clubs were started by people who want to be with like people - whether we're talking Augusta or the local Elks club. I'm looking at it purely from the side of the wannabee member for the sake of this argument. I am aware of the racist and sexist implications of the other side of the argument and don't dispute them.

The club that I find the most interesting is the Garden City Golf Club in Long Island - women aren't even allowed on the grounds. They get around it because they maintain a membership of fewer than 400 members which exempts they from NY state equal access laws. Friends of mine - male friends - have played there and said everyone swims naked. I certainly don't want to see a bunch of naked old men.

What are your thoughts on women being admitted as members to Augusta or any of the other remaining male bastions?

We have A LOT of threads on this one. They can get pretty heated. Most of hte readers know my stance, but why not have another one.

I think people should be able to make rules that suit them in their own club. I don't want to join the local Ladie's Auxiliary, but even if I did, I believe they should be allowed to exclude me if they want to.

I think Augusta should be able to make up their own minds about their membership rules. I think this country has gone overboard trying to protect every person's individual rights, leaving the majority to lose all their rights because of it. I don't think our founding principles guaranteed that no one would ever be discriminated against, it gauranteed that you would be free to pursue life, liberty and happiness....but not at the expense of everyone else!

If there is a group that doesn't want me as a member for whatever reason, just how comfortable am I going to be if I force them to let me join? No thanks.

but why would anyone want to belong to a club that doesn't want them? Private clubs were started by people who want to be with like people - whether we're talking Augusta or the local Elks club.

I think Augusta should be able to make up their own minds about their membership rules. I think this country has gone overboard trying to protect every person's individual rights, leaving the majority to lose all their rights because of it. I don't think our founding principles guaranteed that no one would ever be discriminated against, it gauranteed that you would be free to pursue life, liberty and happiness....but not at the expense of everyone else!

If there is a group that doesn't want me as a member for whatever reason, just how comfortable am I going to be if I force them to let me join? No thanks.

Yup.....

What are your thoughts on women being admitted as members to Augusta or any of the other remaining male bastions?

I typed a long rant and deleted it, just not worth getting worked up about it again. So I'll summarize by saying... Martha Burke is a b*tch!

smileyvault-popcorn.gif

What part of "Private" isn't clear? They set their own rules, long before any of the vocal goofballs were even born. Leave well enough alone.

Don't like it? Go establish your own "Private" golf club, and exclude the others.

If it were a public facility, it should definitely be all access, no question at all.

I'd love to start a golf club, and exclude anyone over 6' tall. How'd that be?

What part of "Private" isn't clear? They set their own rules, long before any of the vocal goofballs were even born. Leave well enough alone.

Don't like it? Go establish your own "Private" golf club, and exclude the others.

If it were a public facility, it should definitely be all access, no question at all.

I'm good with that.:D

lol...that would be cool. Im fine with private clubs doing whatever they want to. don't like it? then go find a club that you do like.

The fact is that if the Masters were not played at this course, nobody would care. There are a million clubs out there and each has their own set of rules.

lol...that would be cool. Im fine with private clubs doing whatever they want to. don't like it? then go find a club that you do like.

Yup.

The fact is that if the Masters were not played at this course, nobody would care. There are a million clubs out there and each has their own set of rules.

Exactly.

Says the uh, vertically challenged man. :rolleyes:

Watch it with the short jokes, missy... :D

Watch it with the short jokes, missy... :D

You too? Ok, all men who think women shouldn't be allowed to belong to Augusta and are vertically challenged - please raise your hand? Wonder what the connection is. While we're at it - why are so many former military guys on golf forums and why do so many golfer guys like heavy metal music?

Lets see.
Im not vertically challenged. 5'11
I am not former military
I dont really like metal music.
I still dont think women should be allowed to join Augusta if that is the rule the club wants.

JB - You are not the typical man and I mean that as a compliment.

Can we define "heavy metal music"?

JB - You are not the typical man and I mean that as a compliment.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Suck-up! hehe

Ok - Back on topic. I'd like to ask a question and please don't be offended. I'm really curious about this. Augusta probably wouldn't accept most of you men as members either - does that bother you?

Ok - Back on topic. I'd like to ask a question and please don't be offended. I'm really curious about this. Augusta probably wouldn't accept most of you men as members either - does that bother you?

No it doesn't bother me at all as I wouldn't fit in with the Augusta members

Not one bit.

Private clubs should be able to make their own rules without interference. Changing this only leads to unforeseen consequences.

Private clubs should be able to make their own rules without interference. Changing this only leads to unforeseen consequences.

Care to elaborate? Like having to put your bathing suit on to swim? Or the club having to add a ladies locker room? Or wait - adding women's apparel to the pro shop?

Not at all.

Care to elaborate? Like having to put your bathing suit on to swim? Or the club having to add a ladies locker room? Or wait - adding women's apparel to the pro shop?

I can't speak for him, but in my opinion forcing a private club to do something takes away that freedom the private club had in the first place

I'm 6'1", think women should not be allowed to join Augusta, and believe in UFO's

<Tawlk amungst yarselves>

Back