First game in 3 years......

clg82

Banned
Reaction score
Well last night I went out for the first time with the new club and irons. It was my first game in 3 years. I went with my wifes boss, and I told him ahead of time I hadn't been in years the first hole I shot incredible, it even surprised me!!! But the rest were as usual. The worst problem I'm having is my ball hooks horribly to the right after flying straight then all of a sudden a horrible fade to the right. Any suggestions on how to correct this?:banghead:

Last edited:
ya thats a common mishap for beginner golfers of all kinds, but its very typical for one who has played baseball/softball

ya thats a common mishap for beginner golfers of all kinds, but its very typical for one who has played baseball/softball

Played baseball all my life, any ideas on how to fix it?

I've seen several golfers with baseball/softball swings. It seems to work for some people.

It depends. I have seen them from $20 for an hour to $3500 for an hour.

Semi-private lessons for my wife and I cost $400 for 6, one-hour lessons at our driving range. You'd have to call around to see what they cost around you. I personally would not do group lessons because in my mind, sharing an hour with many other people keeps you from the one on one time. Although group lessons are the cheapest way to go.

Played baseball all my life, any ideas on how to fix it?

Yep, I played baseball all my life and started out with a slice. Just get some input from people who don't slice - your course pro, etc...they know more than me.

A few lessons is needed. Some things you can check on your own are...put your feet together and take easy swings like at a ball that's not there. Notice your hands at address. Take the club back. Notice your wrist hinge when you do this. Bring the club down to the bottom. Notice you hands have come back to the address position. Swing through and you hands should start to "turn over". If when you do your regular swing and hold your hand in the address position on through the swing you are chicken winging it and it will slice. another thing is step through the swing just like a baseball swing. You weight should finish forward. If your weight is on the rear...it will slice. One more is to waggle the club behind the ball in a straight line back. when you see the line in the grass envision it the same out in front of the ball. Swing the club in line to the target both behind the ball and in front of the ball. these are some things you can try but...you need a pro to look at your swing bro. I had the meanest slice in the world. I have all but licked the problem but every now and then it raises it's ugly head. When it does...my weight is back and I didn't follow through.

Thanks guys I will get a hold of the local pro shop. What would being in baseball most of my life have to do with having a slice?

I was wondering about that too! Ha!

Thanks guys I will get a hold of the local pro shop. What would being in baseball most of my life have to do with having a slice?

I kinda wonder too, since most don't hit to the opposite field that often.

I kinda wonder too, since most don't hit to the opposite field that often.

That's interesting, I hit a lot of line drives anywhere from center to right. I never was a pull hitter. I also use to struggle with a slice maybe Floppy is onto something with this line of thinking.

FWIW I played baseball until I was 18 and didn't take up golf until after that.

clg-

Start asking around for recommendations for instructors. Don't just go with the most convenient or the one the pro shop "assigns" you. Like doctors, lawyers, and every other profession, there are good instructions and not-so-good ones. Some you will mesh with, some you might not. Pick out one you are comfortable with and trust.

clg-

Start asking around for recommendations for instructors. Don't just go with the most convenient or the one the pro shop "assigns" you. Like doctors, lawyers, and every other profession, there are good instructions and not-so-good ones. Some you will mesh with, some you might not. Pick out one you are comfortable with and trust.

They said I could pay for one lesson, so i should be able to gauge wether or not i am interested or not.

I played baseball for 12 years, and it produced a wicked slice. In baseball, a strong hip rotation produces power. In golf, a strong hip rotation produces an outside to in swing plane and a nasty, nasty, slice.

I played baseball for 12 years, and it produced a wicked slice. In baseball, a strong hip rotation produces power. In golf, a strong hip rotation produces an outside to in swing plane and a nasty, nasty, slice.

How did you fix yours? Less hip rotation?

Back