Dressed for the Occasion

ClairefromClare

Give 'em Helen!
Reaction score
Handicap
Brazilian
This merits its own thread (quotes are from Harry):

Me too MO. I mean, what's so hard about a collared shirt? You can get one at Old Navy for the same price (or cheaper) than that .38 Special concert t-shirt. You wouldn't wear a t-shirt to a wedding or to church. And you wouldn't wear a suit to the beach. Different apparal for different activities.

Spoken like a man who hasn't been to church in awhile. It's appalling sometimes.

And while we're at it, I want to b****-slap people who wear pajamas in public, especially on planes. When did we, as a country, get too farking fat and lazy to put on pants?

No pajamas here, but... when we go skiing in Utah, we're on the 7:00 am flight out, so we can ski that day (and avoid air traffic backups). That means we're up at the equivalent of 2:00 am Mountain time or something. If the all of us (and the kids in particular) don't sleep on the plane, it gets ugly. So some combo of flannel and fleece is the usual garb. When the kids were younger and more portable, we'd take them to the airport in p.j.s, so they'd stay asleep as long as possible. But we changed them into clothes before getting on the plane.

Maybe it's chicken and egg on airplanes. I'm old enough to remember when air travel was fun and exciting. Now it's more like Dr. Zhivago on the train to Siberia. Is that's how the airlines treat passengers, no one should be surprised that those passengers live down to expectations.

Claire,
One of my best friends is a Captain on Delta for 25 years and says the same thing. However when Southwest entered the market and prices for air travel became ultra affordable, it became less of a luxury and more of a necessity it seems. He talks about how in the old days it was so different, but now he calls himself no more than a bus driver in the sky.

Maybe it's chicken and egg on airplanes. I'm old enough to remember when air travel was fun and exciting. Now it's more like Dr. Zhivago on the train to Siberia. Is that's how the airlines treat passengers, no one should be surprised that those passengers live down to expectations.

I was just saying this to my coworker yesterday. I used to LOVE traveling on the airlines. We would dress up (granted, this was because my dad worked for Northwest) - skirts, nice shoes, he would wear slacks and a dress shirt; in first class it was a jacket and tie for him, and I, even as a little girl, wore pantyhose. We never stood out at all, esp in first class, which was also called "business class" a lot. The people in T-shirts and jeans looked ridiculous.

Now with security and longer waits and such, I've started wearing flip flops through the TSA checkpoints and more comfortable lounge clothes for sitting. I still can't bring myself to wear pajamas, I just can't, but I understand everyone is a bit more relaxed. Ultimately, it doesn't affect me, except some roll out of bed and don't brush their teeth or put on deodorant. THAT'S bad.

You also meet really interesting people out there - including, for me, the inventor of Post-Its, the owner of the Wild, classic Russian authors, and the members of Lifehouse. With my luck, I'd sit next to a senator and be dressed in my Tinkerbell fleece pants.

Claire,
One of my best friends is a Captain on Delta for 25 years and says the same thing. However when Southwest entered the market and prices for air travel became ultra affordable, it became less of a luxury and more of a necessity it seems. He talks about how in the old days it was so different, but now he calls himself no more than a bus driver in the sky.

JB- one of my buddies flies for United and echos your friend's views almost exactly. Back in the day if you were a pilot you were considered a god but nowadays its something completely different.

*raises hand* I'm an offender. I wear flip flops, comfy workout pants or shorts and a t-shirt to fly.

I've never been able to afford a first class seat. Being crowded into the back of the plane is a stuffy miserable experience. I do my part to keep myself as comfortable as possible to endure the ride.

As for the pilot likening himself to a bus driver; simply put, he is. He just happens to have a bigger, faster bus. Flying Delta is no different than hitching a ride with Greyhound.

As for the pilot likening himself to a bus driver; simply put, he is. He just happens to have a bigger, faster bus. Flying Delta is no different than hitching a ride with Greyhound.

actually, you have a greater chance of dying with Greyhound than you do with delta :clapp:

*raises hand* I'm an offender. I wear flip flops, comfy workout pants or shorts and a t-shirt to fly.

I've never been able to afford a first class seat. Being crowded into the back of the plane is a stuffy miserable experience. I do my part to keep myself as comfortable as possible to endure the ride.

Im with you Gummi. I wear flip flops and shorts. I do keep it a tad formal by wearing a tuxedo T shirt though. Flip flops make it a lot easier to get through the TSA stuff.

My tuxedo shirt is always 'at the cleaners' when I really need it...

Being a million mile frequent flier, I have seen just about everything possible while flying. Sometime in first class, and most of the time in coach. I always get an aisle seat where I feel less like a sardine. Two things, and only two things bother me. #1 is the guy or girl who smells like musty, putrid old tobacco smoke. The smell is on their clothes, and in their hair. Sit next to me smelling like this, and one of us is getting off the flight before it leaves the gate. Usually it is smelly person, because I am not the only one offended by the smell. #2 is the fat butted steward, or stewardess who bumps into me, and others, every time they walk down the aisle. :cool:

#2 is the fat butted steward, or stewardess who bumps into me, and others, every time they walk down the aisle. :cool:

There is nothing worse then getting bumped in the elbow everytime they walk by with the cart.

There is nothing worse then getting bumped in the elbow everytime they walk by with the cart.

Sitting in the last row of the main cabin with that darn wall directly behind you is worse, the seats don't recline & then you have the person in front of you reclining so their seatback is 3" from your head.

That is just bad anyway Dyna. Sitting in the back may possibly take 3 hours to get off the plane at landing.

I can still remember the stories from my grandparents when I was younger about how flying used to be. Grandma always kept a small diary for their trips, and I've seen where the - get this - used to get REAL food on a plane and it was included! Pepper steaks, teriyaki, all sorts of stuff. By the time I remember my first flight we still had hot food, but it was stuff like hot dogs and such.

Nowadays on a business trip I'm lucky to see a small glass of something to drink and those Delta biscoff graham crackers. So I make sure to either eat somewhere close to my gate or hit the airport convenience mart and stock up on snacks.

As far as dress, since most of my trips tend to be for work I'm usually dressed up, likely in a suit. When flying for non-work, I'll still usually have khakis or dress pants and either a polo or camp shirt.

I used to travel for business, but don't any longer. When I did, I always had the hotel where I was staying make me a boxed lunch to bring on the plane. Even though I was often fortunate enough to fly business/first - the food I brought was always better.

Agreed. I wear my most comfortable T-shirt, and most comfortable pair of pants. I don't wear pajama pants though. :D

Then again, I never fly. I'm a baby - I'm scared to fly. :p

It seems half the high school girls by me wear pajamas to school. I just don't get it. Are the parent too afraid to tell the kids to go back to their room and change into some real clothes or are they just not home when the kids leave to school.

It seems half the high school girls by me wear pajamas to school. I just don't get it. Are the parent too afraid to tell the kids to go back to their room and change into some real clothes or are they just not home when the kids leave to school.

I have threatened any number of times to send Boo to school barefoot, unbreakfasted, and in her pajamas. She just will not move in the morning. I have not carried through with this only because it's so unfair to the teachers.

I have threatened any number of times to send Boo to school barefoot, unbreakfasted, and in her pajamas. She just will not move in the morning. I have not carried through with this only because it's so unfair to the teachers.

I bet she's cute though. Just a little.

She's adorable. But whiny children don't get what they want.

Clarification: I meant "cute when she does that. Just a little."

I think we all know she's generally, all-around adorable.

Clarification: I meant "cute when she does that. Just a little."

I think we all know she's generally, all-around adorable.

Cute in the way trying to land a very large walleye is cute. She employs the same technique.

I went to my oldest grandson's HS's football practice. He introduced me to his latest "squeeze"....dressed in pajamas. They did not make girls like that when I was in high school............probably a good thing, or I'd still be a junior. :D

Hm, I think there may be some pesky laws about that, too. :wink:

Back