JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Is it me or did they have a great opportunity with this coverage and blew it. I really think they could have grabbed a much larger viewership by having Barkley part of the commentary team.

He is under contract for the NBA and would have done it I am sure (even though he has a tourny this weekend) and it would have brought in a casual fan that many not normally view golf.

agreed. didn't even think of the Barkley angle but that would have boosted the ratings and made up for the lackluster commentary so far

That would have helped along with a sober camera crew. Is it just me or do these guys loose the ball a lot? It is tuff to follow what a shot is doing when the camera guy is jumping all over the place trying to find it themselves.

Everything about this coverage is terrible. It's like 30% golf and 70% replays/commentary/commercials/etc.

There is no way he would miss the American Century tournament.

This is typical golf programming, although I think during the non major EPGA programs those folks tend to show more golf shots, and less talking heads' gibberish.

Barkley? Don't think so, since it would have meant more air time for him, and less actual golf being shown. :comp:

• Admin
Why? They dont show Johnny Miller that much and he is a clown too. I think Barkely takes away the stuffiness that makes up this game and why some still stay away. There is a reason the Haney Project was the highest rated show on TGC.

While it would have been nice to have the Charles comic relief, I don't think they blew it by not having him there. I have only been able to watch an hour or so each morning before work and they blew it with me by showing Watson highlights every half hour yesterday and again today to recap his round. I don't want to see what happend yesterday, that is what Sportscenter and the internet are for. Too much riff-raff, just show golf. We shouldn't have to go more than 15-20 seconds between each live shot.

Why? They dont show Johnny Miller that much and he is a clown too. I think Barkely takes away the stuffiness that makes up this game and why some still stay away. There is a reason the Haney Project was the highest rated show on TGC.

I agree with you about making the coverage a little more exciting. These announcers are putting me to sleep.

Let's face it...

TNT could **** up a wet dream when it comes to golf coverage. Tragic doesn't even begin to describe it. I can't believe that they still have a contract to air it with the PGA and the R&A.

Let's face it...

TNT could **** up a wet dream when it comes to golf coverage. Tragic doesn't even begin to describe it. I can't believe that they still have a contract to air it with the PGA and the R&A.

You have wet dreams about golf coverage?

Spoiler
(for Claire):
sperm03.gif

Thats TNT for ya. Their NASCAR coverage sucks too.

Yeah the lead guy is absolutely abominable. But the problem with the Barkley idea, I think, is that he would not have anything real to say or add. Bringing him in for a half hour of comic relief, as someone else mentioned, I think would be great; but giving him a seat at the booth for the whole thing for actual golf commentary would be beyond his ability.

I saw several times through out the day, the talking head would say "we'll now go to so in so on 15". Mean while the camera was on another golfer at another hole, leaving the commentator to speak about the wrong televised player :clapp:

Was it just me, or on Day 1 at the end of Watson's round did Bruce not falsely claim the gallery was giving him a standing O when they were clearly all sitting on their bums? He is terrible.

Was it just me, or on Day 1 at the end of Watson's round did Bruce not falsely claim the gallery was giving him a standing O when they were clearly all sitting on their bums? He is terrible.

Bruce ?

I did not see that, but I did see Sergio tipping his hat to the gallery who it seemed were giving Tom Watson the nice ovation. Then again Sergio did a nice thing today with Watson to help get him back on track.:clapp:

\

Honestly, I don't know his name -- I thought I read "Bruce" something when they flashed up a name graphic -- but he's the dude who particularly sucks, one of the anchors, and not a golf guy.

Well so far this ABC coverage is just as bad. It's been a half hour, and I think I've seen one live golf shot (John Daly).

It is still their preview period.

Back