Almost came to blows today....rules and etiquette help please!

Do you not believe that if your playing partner had not made the comment that started this whole thing off, it would not have gone differently?

I think they should have asked the pro to make the call. Just like you should have. They didnt want to hear it from you. Just like you didnt want to hear it from them.

He did initially just by listening to them...but did not give us a chance to rebutt. The pro just said it was wrong before and right now, sorry, just go play. This was my teammate :banghead:. He knew the rule but no one would listen or even look it up. I am just glad that the pro thought better of it during the day and did look it up like we asked.

Do you not believe that if your playing partner had not made the comment that started this whole thing off, it would not have gone differently?

I 100% believe that if they did not treat us like little kids during the initial explanation that my teammate gave it never would have gotten there. It got there after the pro was called and my teammate knew that was incorrect and not the real rule. It was also after they said that our first three matches were played incorrectly and did not know if we would have even won those. I think it was a bit of poking a caged-bear on their part after the pro sided with them and would not listen to us.

But back to post #25...what do you think about playing on vs. a rematch. And don't you think it was crappy, and a little questionable of them to want to continue as-is after all of this?

Do you think we should have continued as is? Thoughts?

I think there was too much bad feeling on both sides to continue. You guys were done before you even started.

I think there was too much bad feeling on both sides to continue. You guys were done before you even started.

But after the rule were corrected....what is you thought on playing out and going back to adjust later vs. calling that match dead and a rematch starting at #1 as necessary? And I agree that we were dead from the start...really my partner was, but that killed us. He shot -3 on the final 7 holes after he was proven right. He was dead off the start and in a bad mental place.

Another bit to add...is that when the situation about coming to blows was their guys reaction to my partner's comment. Once he blew up and pointed a finger in his face my teammate immeditely apologized profusely, I just thought I would have to pull the other guy off my teammate...or vice verca.

I think you are worrying too much about it if you really want my opinion. I think that you are worked up and want to win. I have gone back and read the entire first post again and I still think had your partner not said what he said and instead just gone about his business, none of this would have ever happened and it would have been corrected in the end. Instead, "the caged bear" as you called him got an attitude (right or wrong) and the day of golf was ruined. All because people take it way too seriously. Its a club tourny, I think nothing should be replayed and everybody should just move on.

I looked at the USGA site. It says the intent of using a percentage of your handicap is to bring everyone closer to zero. I understand that, but logic says to go the other way. You were correct.

Plus Handicaps​
When applying a percentage of Course Handicap to a plus
handicap player, it brings that player closer to zero. This occurs
in order to keep as close as possible the proper percentage of
disparity in handicap. For example, playing at 100 percent of
Course Handicap, the spread of two players, a +5 and 10 Course
Handicap, is 15 strokes. In a competition where 80 percent of
Course Handicap is utilized, the +5 becomes a +4 (+5 x 80%)
and the 10 becomes an 8 (10 x 80%). The difference between
their adjusted Course Handicap is 12, which is 80 percent of​
the original spread of 15 using 100 percent (15 x 80% = 12).

While I see it written down, I dont think I agree with the logic..(whats new with that considering some rules of golf) Almost seems like a double standard...logically speaking...

However unlikely, could not a +1 hdcp actually be a +4 in wolf's clothing???
Putting him back to "0" instead of +2 would actually do the same thing you try to do for sandbaggers...

just my opinion...

While I see it written down, I dont think I agree with the logic..(whats new with that considering some rules of golf) Almost seems like a double standard...logically speaking...

However unlikely, could not a +1 hdcp actually be a +4 in wolf's clothing???
Putting him back to "0" instead of +2 would actually do the same thing you try to do for sandbaggers...

just my opinion...

Makes sense...but it is not the first rule in golf that might not make logical sense right.

JB and Bama....I just want an honest opinion about the finish...every other stupid thing aside. Kinda like the 2-5 handicapper on their team in an 8s clothing.

Should it have continued and finished with adjustments later...or should it have been replayed. If you were in that situation what would you expect to happen....replay or finish and adjust knowing that it could have changed things mentally.

It will certainly make for a great match on Saturday morning at 6:50am :sick:
:starwars::stickbeat::zsimpsons::eyepoke::bicker:

I think all of those smilies apply!

Finished and adjusted. No question about it.

What about me?

I think you should have finished and made the adjustments. You were already out there.

Finished and adjusted. No question about it.

Seriously? What about the holes that we would have won...we would have been in a different place mentally instead of playing catch-up. Just to much would have been different mentally....and I keep saying it this way...we were playing under different pretenses. Playing from behind instead of square is a different game, no?

Ugliness of the day aside...I think I would have ruled like the club pro, just needs to be replayed.

What about me?

I think you should have finished and made the adjustments. You were already out there.

Would they do that at the WGC Accenture Match-Play. I know it is a club tourney, but the change in handicapping in the middle of the round changes things mentally does it not. I think you need to treat it like it is a pro round...since all pro rules apply...one set of rule right?

Is there a written rule about a situation like this? I would have to think it would void the round since they were playing off extra strokes.

Found this

6-2. Handicap
a. Match Play

Before starting a match in a handicap competition, the players should determine from one another their respective handicaps. If a player begins a match having declared a handicap higher than that to which he is entitled and this affects the number of strokes given or received,
he is disqualified;
otherwise, the player must play off the declared handicap.

I almost feel that they could be disqualified for taking the extra strokes according to this rule...even thought the pro told them to. Just because a cop tells you you can speed does not make it legal. Ignorance of the rule is not an excuse...for all golf rules right?

No question in my mind that a replay is right after finding this rule. Pretty black and white here...we did not agree to their number of strokes and they took extra. No rule in USGA that allows for adjusting a match after it is over.

Seriously? What about the holes that we would have won...we would have been in a different place mentally instead of playing catch-up. Just to much would have been different mentally....and I keep saying it this way...we were playing under different pretenses. Playing from behind instead of square is a different game, no?

Ugliness of the day aside...I think I would have ruled like the club pro, just needs to be replayed.

You asked for our opinion and did not like the answer you got I guess.. As for your "mental game"? Its a handicapped club tourny. You cant really think like that right? I think you are taking it way too seriously, if you want my opinion.

What if you had played better - would you still want the do-over?

You asked for our opinion and did not like the answer I get. As for your "mental game"? Its a handicapped club tourny. You cant really think like that right? I think you are taking it way too seriously, if you want my opinion.

I really don't care..I am thrilled to have made it this far. I just do not like they treated us from the beginning, like we were clueless, and never apologized after we were proved right. Honestly, I do not want to play the next round, and at my level the pressure add will hurt me more then it will hurt them for the next match.

The answer to that Diane on the forum will be yes, but you know most would of course not want one.

Not at all....We just want the fair thing. I posted a black and white rule above, and adjusting 11 scores into the match is just not right logically. Having found that rule I believe they should have been DQ'd...so a rematch is beneficial for them right now. I just did not like getting teated like a lepur by them over this. My teammate maybe, but not me :angel:

Rules are rules...adjusting later did not make sense and glad I found the rule to justify that thinking.

The answer to that Diane on the forum will be yes, but you know most would of course not want one.

Sorry - couldn't resist asking. :rofl: I wouldn't want one if I was playing well.

Sorry - couldn't resist asking. :rofl: I wouldn't want one if I was playing well.

Yeah...the real answer is I would not "want one", but would have accepted it. It sucks because I was not playing that poorly for me...but my teammate was f'ed in the head over this, but I can not blame him for this because he knew he was right and we were insulted over it.

I am sure that at a career day of -3 through 11 for the 8 handicapper he wanted it to count. +2 for the last 7 for him...all on 18.

I am thinking the cat, and mouse are over clubbed............:banana:

It will certainly make for a great match on Saturday morning at 6:50am :sick:
:starwars::stickbeat::zsimpsons::eyepoke::bicker:

I think all of those smilies apply!

I am thinking the cat, and mouse are over clubbed............:banana:

They are handicapped correctly since the mouse has the bigger hammer to compensate for his lack of size. But I am not sure if it is at 80% or not :alien:
:zsimpsons:

Yeah...the real answer is I would not "want on", but would have accepted it. It sucks because I was not playing that poorly for me...but my teammate was f'ed in the head over this, but I can not blame him for this because he knew he was right and we were insulted over it.

I am sure that at a career day of -3 through 11 for the 8 handicapper he wanted it to count. +2 for the last 7 for him...all on 18.

That says it all. The fact that someone is that worked up over this whole thing is crazy.:bomb:

Back